Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Galway lost once and are out of the championship

Limerick and Cork have lost twice and are still in the championship.

The positions in the Leinster championship table were basically decided on who ran up the biggest score against Carlow.

Clare beat Cork by 5 points in the championship meaning Clare are out and Cork are in.

johnnycool

Quote from: dec on June 17, 2019, 02:48:30 PM

The positions in the Leinster championship table were basically decided on who ran up the biggest score against Carlow.

Clare beat Cork by 5 points in the championship meaning Clare are out and Cork are in.

The positions in the Munster championship table were basically decided on who ran up the biggest score against Waterford.

Clare got walloped by Limerick and Tipp, they've no one to blame but themselves.

Galway had Wexford for the taking and failed to get the two points in a home game. No one to blame but themselves.

Everyone knows the rules of the competition before it begins.

mouview

Quote from: johnnycool on June 17, 2019, 03:31:12 PM

The positions in the Munster championship table were basically decided on who ran up the biggest score against Waterford.

Clare got walloped by Limerick and Tipp, they've no one to blame but themselves.

Galway had Wexford for the taking and failed to get the two points in a home game. No one to blame but themselves.

That, more even than the modest win over Carlow was the downfall. Played a listless WX team off the field in the first half but didn't rack up the scores on the board, through missed frees, wides, over-elaboration etc. There's always a price you pay.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on June 19, 2019, 03:41:09 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 17, 2019, 03:31:12 PM

That, more even than the modest win over Carlow was the downfall. Played a listless WX team off the field in the first half but didn't rack up the scores on the board, through missed frees, wides, over-elaboration etc. There's always a price you pay.

They were playing from memory this year. They really need a break.
A new lineout is the most likely. Which experience will be retained ? 
Players like Glennon and Hanbury aren't going to be required.

There are few decent subs and you need more than the bare 15 in the new setup. Top 3 scorers were missing in the second half vs Dubs.
There is a nice conveyor belt of talent and for the first time in a generation there is winning experience to blend it with.

Minor wins in  2015, 2017, 2018
The future looks mighty
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Rather harsh on Hanbury; struggled to get a run at the year and far from our worst performer. No great supporter of Glennon, but again, he's not been outrightly worse than some of the other off-form forwards.

Geoffrey Lynskey's progress with the U-20s will be eagerly anticipated, he should be in a good position to leverage those successful minor teams. However, I have a feeling Donohoe will stay on for another year, and it is speculated that there's antipathy between he and Lynskey, so how will the latter feel if he's preparing good players only for another to possibly reap the main rewards?

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on June 19, 2019, 10:36:31 PM
Rather harsh on Hanbury; struggled to get a run at the year and far from our worst performer. No great supporter of Glennon, but again, he's not been outrightly worse than some of the other off-form forwards.

Geoffrey Lynskey's progress with the U-20s will be eagerly anticipated, he should be in a good position to leverage those successful minor teams. However, I have a feeling Donohoe will stay on for another year, and it is speculated that there's antipathy between he and Lynskey, so how will the latter feel if he's preparing good players only for another to possibly reap the main rewards?

He probably won't stay longer than that. Someone else might
get more out of them.

A lot of players lost form this year. Even the leaders. I'd say they are knackered.

I think it has gone like the rugby in terms of team plus replacements
and injury planning. We were unlucky with injuries in 18 and 19. Or maybe naive...

Not easy to blood new players into a winning team but I wouldn't swap now for 2010

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2019, 06:32:39 AM

get more out of them.

A lot of players lost form this year. Even the leaders. I'd say they are knackered.

and injury planning. We were unlucky with injuries in 18 and 19. Or maybe naive...

Not easy to blood new players into a winning team but I wouldn't swap now for 2010

How did KK do it year after year? - I know structure different this past fee years but KK were back year after year after year.

imtommygunn

Leaders everywhere. Galway wouldn't be the same like that.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 20, 2019, 07:56:14 AM

get more out of them.

How did KK do it year after year? - I know structure different this past fee years but KK were back year after year after year.

Kilkenny had a phenomenal group of hurlers and leaders and it's only now with the likes of Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney and Jackie Littlewoods out in media circles that you release that these lads were far from the Stepford wives that Donal O'g would have led you to believe.

They drove each other on and that group dynamic was maintained and controlled by Cody who also freshened up his backroom staff every two or three years as he went.

You got to remember Tipp had a panel probably comparable in terms of natural skill but only fleetingly were able to match Kilkenny in the other facets of the game.

It's hard to see their likes again.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on June 20, 2019, 09:37:49 AM

get more out of them.

Kilkenny had a phenomenal group of hurlers and leaders and it's only now with the likes of Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney and Jackie Littlewoods out in media circles that you release that these lads were far from the Stepford wives that Donal O'g would have led you to believe.

They drove each other on and that group dynamic was maintained and controlled by Cody who also freshened up his backroom staff every two or three years as he went.

You got to remember Tipp had a panel probably comparable in terms of natural skill but only fleetingly were able to match Kilkenny in the other facets of the game.

It's hard to see their likes again.

I'd imagine that's exactly what we are seeing in the Dublin Footballers. There are certainly parallels. A ruthless manager, a steady trickle of new talents, massive leadership examples and competition for places. And finally a ruthless streak that ensures they never take the boot off the throat when they could.

seafoid

get more out of them.

They had a very sophisticated machine and Cody could keep manufacturing hunger to win because of internal competition.
Cody didn't want a settled team. He wanted settled performance levels. Something like that

They wouldn't go mad after winning the all Ireland either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-just-when-they-look-to-be-coming-dublin-freeze-1.3886531

"We went to Carton House ready to put in an animal weekend to get ready for it. You knew you'd be training twice and playing a match on the Saturday and you had to be prepared to kill for the jersey. Kill in a good way if such a thing exists – kill yourself in effort, kill the player you're marking with work-rate, kill the other team you play in the match on the Saturday with an unbreakable will and desire to win.
That game would be savage, nobody giving an inch because a strong performance could spring you into the team. Likewise, a sub-par performance and you could be off it, so Carton House could be a graveyard for players. Most of the time, the hurling wouldn't flow but that's when you knew it was really, really good.
Hungry packs
Players couldn't get away from each other. Backs couldn't get out past a wall formed by a hungry packs of forwards. They'd turn one way and get nailed, turn another and get nailed again. The ball was knocked out of their hand and the fight was on.
I often felt forwards got more of a kick out of turning backs over in those games than actually getting scores. I know Brian loved when it happened. Likewise when a forward got a ball, backs would swarm all over him like a rash, take the ball from him. Turnovers were as regular as the doctor running onto the pitch to treat a player – one every minute. But the game never stopped. Get another person in and play on. We loved it.
On top of everything, I shared a room with my clubmate Eoin Larkin. Eoin had his nose broken in a training match before and so he snored like a roaring dinosaur every minute of the night. Meaning I didn't sleep the best either. I wonder who broke his nose? Karma!"

manfromdelmonte

Kilkenny had a conveyor belt of talent from minor and U21 teams
Plus Cody was excellent at spotting a lad who could do a job for him e.g. Fogarty who wouldn't have been highly regarded in the county
Cody was also ruthless with shedding lads no longer needed, eg Cha

Ball Hopper

Not true...if you take the Carlow games out of consideration the order would be the exact same.  All on 3 points, Kilkenny top with scoring difference of +4, Wexford second +0, Dublin third on -1 and Galway fourth at -3.

Even though the results are the same, wouldn't it be fairer to make a mini-league of the teams that are level where only the games between the three or more involved are considered? 

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2019, 10:13:28 AM

get more out of them.

They had a very sophisticated machine and Cody could keep manufacturing hunger to win because of internal competition.
Cody didn't want a settled team. He wanted settled performance levels. Something like that

They wouldn't go mad after winning the all Ireland either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-just-when-they-look-to-be-coming-dublin-freeze-1.3886531

"We went to Carton House ready to put in an animal weekend to get ready for it. You knew you'd be training twice and playing a match on the Saturday and you had to be prepared to kill for the jersey. Kill in a good way if such a thing exists – kill yourself in effort, kill the player you're marking with work-rate, kill the other team you play in the match on the Saturday with an unbreakable will and desire to win.
That game would be savage, nobody giving an inch because a strong performance could spring you into the team. Likewise, a sub-par performance and you could be off it, so Carton House could be a graveyard for players. Most of the time, the hurling wouldn't flow but that's when you knew it was really, really good.
Hungry packs
Players couldn't get away from each other. Backs couldn't get out past a wall formed by a hungry packs of forwards. They'd turn one way and get nailed, turn another and get nailed again. The ball was knocked out of their hand and the fight was on.
I often felt forwards got more of a kick out of turning backs over in those games than actually getting scores. I know Brian loved when it happened. Likewise when a forward got a ball, backs would swarm all over him like a rash, take the ball from him. Turnovers were as regular as the doctor running onto the pitch to treat a player – one every minute. But the game never stopped. Get another person in and play on. We loved it.
On top of everything, I shared a room with my clubmate Eoin Larkin. Eoin had his nose broken in a training match before and so he snored like a roaring dinosaur every minute of the night. Meaning I didn't sleep the best either. I wonder who broke his nose? Karma!"

Correct - it was all about the settled spirt.

We'll never see a hurling team like them again.  A perfect storm in terms of talent, courage and leadership.

thejuice

Looking forward to the Christy Ring Cup tomorrow. Another final in 4 years. Hopefully we'll take a permanent place in the Joe McDonagh if we win and not drop again quickly. Meath hurling has come on so much in the last 20 years so it would be great to start seeing it bear fruit at county level.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016