Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE DADGA

they pulled out johnny cool. Lost half there startin 15 to one thing or another. Sure ballyvarley almost beat them two weeks ago ffs

Fíor Gael

Drumgath v St. John's
Annaclone v Darragh Cross
Glenn v Dundrum / Carryduff
Tullylish v Kilclief

bredaghgael86

When are Liatroim and Ballycran scheduled to play in the other senior semi-final?
[/quote]
Quote from: THE DADGA on September 07, 2010, 10:55:27 AM
they pulled out johnny cool. Lost half there startin 15 to one thing or another. Sure ballyvarley almost beat them two weeks ago ffs

Shame liatroim pulled out, would have been good to see them at least play, but i suppose realistically there may not have been much point. never know now.

Bacon

Championship hurling this week and it all kicks off tomorrow with the Betsy Gray Cup semi final between Ballycran and Portaferry. When these two met last year I hear it was like the start of Gangs of New York but Im sure they've all mellowed in the mean time. Ballycran to win by 2 points just because they're at home. Both teams to finish with 15 men for a change.

JHC final is in Ballela on Sunday and should be a really competitve fixture. Ballyvarley won this championship 2 or 3 years ago and are probably favorites to win it again after spending this season in Div 1. It helped the Point last year and I think it will help the reds this year. Ballyvarley to win by 3.

In the Intermediate final Shamrocks play Bredagh. Liatoim hammered Bredagh in the final last year but I cant see them getting a tankin again. This one could be a draw but I'll go for the experience of Shamrocks to pull them through by a point.

In the Senior semi final Ballygalget will be most peoples favorites to beat there old rivals. They've won the league meetings this year and have had the better of the Ports in the championship for a couple of years. I think there'll be an upset and I expect Portaferry to win it by a couple of points.

Anybody else any views on the hurling?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

mrenergizer

best of luck to down in the final

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on September 07, 2010, 08:52:04 PM
Championship hurling this week and it all kicks off tomorrow with the Betsy Gray Cup semi final between Ballycran and Portaferry. When these two met last year I hear it was like the start of Gangs of New York but Im sure they've all mellowed in the mean time. Ballycran to win by 2 points just because they're at home. Both teams to finish with 15 men for a change.

JHC final is in Ballela on Sunday and should be a really competitve fixture. Ballyvarley won this championship 2 or 3 years ago and are probably favorites to win it again after spending this season in Div 1. It helped the Point last year and I think it will help the reds this year. Ballyvarley to win by 3.

In the Intermediate final Shamrocks play Bredagh. Liatoim hammered Bredagh in the final last year but I cant see them getting a tankin again. This one could be a draw but I'll go for the experience of Shamrocks to pull them through by a point.

In the Senior semi final Ballygalget will be most peoples favorites to beat there old rivals. They've won the league meetings this year and have had the better of the Ports in the championship for a couple of years. I think there'll be an upset and I expect Portaferry to win it by a couple of points.

Anybody else any views on the hurling?

I think the Ports might do it in the Betsy Gray as they've some tidy enough young hurlers and have gotten a few lads back who'll probably be on their senior panel come sunday as well and for that reason it won't cut up rough.

Ballyvarley should have too many of the better hurlers for Clonduff to handle. We sent over a makeshift thirds team to Clonduff earlier in the year and they managed a win whereas Ballyvarley were competitive enough with our lads in Div1, but lacked a scoring threat and I'd expect Clonduff to be a few drops in standard from that.

If Bredagh can stop McGuinness from scoring goals then they're in with a shout. The Bredagh fullback is a handy enough lad the last time I saw them, maybe lacking a bit in the physical strength department for Eoin McGuinness but if he uses the loaf he could work him alright. Newry are pretty weak down the wings whereas Bredagh have a better balance and big Sean should be sending the bredagh lads out with the message to keep the game as wide as possible to avoid Newry's strength's. Cathal 'free flow' O'Flynn will let it go so it could get feisty enough.
I'm going for Bredagh by a point.

The senior semi-final could go either way a even though we've beaten Portaferry twice in the league it was nip and tuck the whole way, the meeting in Portaferry was decided by a great goal by Magic and the other very recent win the Ports had a few lads missing and very strange selections in the team which won't happen on Sunday.
The biggest headache facing our manager is where to put Magic. If he starts him fullforward then he's more dangerous but easily starved off the ball. I'd expect him to start at left half forward where he can get more involved in the game and if portaferry decide to double up on him I'd hope we'd have enough wit to use our extra man elsewhere, something we failed to do against Ballycran last year. Dule will be the Ports main threat and he'll be well protected by D Magee for some reason. I think we might start young Ben Toner on Dule even if it is his championship debut as he's a very tidy hurler and for one so young doesn't get phased by too much.

I'm not expected an open game as Ballycrans small pitch doesn't lend itself to that, plus it's a windy place on a good day so it could be a game of two halves.

I only hope that the ref has one of his better days and doesn't try to be the main man as is his want some times.

I'm going with us by two points but its not a confident verdict.

bredaghgael86

Glad to see a small amount of debate about the hurling this week.  i think ballycran will win in the betsy grey as they were fairly strong when we played them last week.  I get that it my not be as strong this week for whatever reason but still feel they will have enough to win.

In the junior I would expect ballyvarley to win. Although they havnt had many positive results this year, playing against slightly better opposition should stand to them, and although clonduff have a few strong players, id expect ballyvaleys stronger players to dominate the game more.  It will be tight, but ill go with ballyvarley by 2.

Wont predict our game. It will be extremley close and i feels goals will be the difference at the end of the game. Hope the ref isnt a talkingpoint at the end of the match also.

In the senior i fancy ballygalget by the minimum. Think overall they are probably more solid and have the ability to contain dule, which if they do, cant see any other result than fr the galget men, but only by a couple. Good luck to the ref also. ;)

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

T O Hare

For any one yous who want to see a match this evening travel over to the bridge to see the senior reserve quarter final replay between ourselves and Burren!!! It should be a good match!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

charlieTully

Quote from: Fíor Gael on September 07, 2010, 11:23:50 AM
Drumgath v St. John's
Annaclone v Darragh Cross
Glenn v Dundrum / Carryduff
Tullylish v Kilclief

got a ticket for me f.g?

snoopdog

Quote from: amallon on September 09, 2010, 09:50:01 AM
Great video that Mickey one!

1960 to 2010 Tribute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4OS3WJct8
absolutely fantastic, that kerry performance was the best for 16 years in my opinion

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on September 09, 2010, 05:11:49 PM
For any one yous who want to see a match this evening travel over to the bridge to see the senior reserve quarter final replay between ourselves and Burren!!! It should be a good match!!!

Well how did it go Mr OHare?

batman

Anyone know the Irish news allstars?

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: T O Hare on September 09, 2010, 12:56:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J55_OkxtIU

The real GOD :)

TOH - thank you for that vid.  It was a treat and your are right, Mickey was the real GOD