WISDOM TEETH!!

Started by D4S, March 31, 2009, 01:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Its the damn files that get me. It was the worst dental experience of my life - and Ive lost teeth!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armin Tamzarian on May 05, 2009, 03:33:23 PM
Instead of starting a new thread;
just wondering what to expect when getting a root canal done.  Have to get one done at the end of the week and don't know what to expect.  I was told i might need 2-3 visits but do they leave the hole open after the 1st visit or what and how long between visits?

I'm on the waiting list for one too (I refuse! to pay 200 quid for it) - I dread the thoughts of it. 

I never really minded the dentist but the last couple of visits have been a nightmare.  It took 4 or 5 injections to numb my mouth each time and that was only for a filling (on the same tooth I need the root canal on) I'm very resistant  to the stuff they use apparently. Of course after each injection she didn't believe me that my mouth wasn't numb until she set to work with the drill and I near jumped out of the chair.   
I think they may knock me over the head with something to get the root canal done. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

vav

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OH SWEET AND DEVINE FCUK

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o 

I finally took the big brave step of going to the dentists this morning (I couldn't ignore the pain any longer) only to be told that I HAVE to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth out.. So rather than read up the horror stories I'd find on google (which turned me off getting it done last year) I thought I'd read this thread which I assumed would be full of helpful advice and stories of how grand and easy it was. No pain, no horror. OMG how wrong I was.. Now I'm scared once again to my inner core with the likes of:-

Quote from: illdecide on March 31, 2009, 02:35:02 PM
I had all 4 removed myself chief. It was done in the dentist with the jaw froze. He took 2 out at a time with about 3-4 stitches in the gum for each tooth. The root had grown and attached itself to my jaw bone and you should have seen him trying to break it off. When it did break the snapping noise was scary shit (i thought he'd broke my jaw)

.... I'm getting a referral to the dental hospital to have it done...

Does anyone know if that means I can assume I'll be under general anaesthetic? Or is it all done under local anaesthetic? :o

WRT the cost issue, does anyone know what is covered by PRSI down here in the south? and if not would VHI Plan D with Healthsteps Gold would cover all  the costs?

J70

Never had to deal with wisdom teeth problems, but I had a gum graft last week which is probably as bad or worse. They take tissue from the roof of your mouth and sew it on to the side of the tooth where the gum recession is. Not too pleasant! Its six days now and I'm still on the painkillers and have to put anaesthetic cream around the wound on the roof of mouth just to get some food down! Take my advice boys and girls and use a soft toothbrush before you brush your gums away!(And start flossing if you don't do it already - it also helps stop gum disease)

SLIGONIAN

Last couple of weeks got 3 of 4 wisdom teeth out,  top 2 3mins and he had them out. Bit of pain after for a 24hrs but sound. My top 2 were impacted but growing straight down.

Now my bottom 2 are at 45 degree angles. Got my first one out last Thursday under local without sedation. Worst experience of my life, 45mins of pulling and pressure, my legs were shaking by the end, found it hard to breath, finally got it out and then the local wore off, and then the pain started, unimaginable pain, stinging from the jaw to the ear. Woke up with a fever one night after, so went back today, he cleaned the massive hole and put in some temp gum filling. Feels alot better, on antibiotic now as well as painkillers. So anyways got it done last Thursday and it monday now. The Dentist said its normal to experience what I have afterwards, because of the nerves and it affects whole body. Anyway, get sedated if you ever do it. I have to dig deep and get last one out thursday week, but will make sure im sedated going in.

Good luck to anyone who has to do this.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Lecale2

Good luck man!

Why did they have to come out? I haven't been to a dentist in 10 years and I hope I never have to go again.

under the bar

Provided you don't have an abcess it should be like falling off a log 

redhugh

Quote from: under the bar on November 10, 2009, 12:27:40 AM
Provided you don't have an abcess it should be like falling off a log

and landing with one leg either side of the log.

leenie

my wisdom teeth had all grown, but one grew without an inside and a weak shell so i got it filled around 2 yrs ago... about 3 weeks ago the filling fell out and i discovered it was because the part of the tooth that didn't grow is coming through now... wasn't in any pain and i assumed it would grow into the shell........ no it pushed the shell out and the weekend.. had wild pain during the night, so flat out on the paracetamol because i have an exam tomorrow! it's making a very sharp pain which is traveling up the side of my face... i feel like someone has punched me!

not only to have do an all nighter studying but i will have to endure pain....

boohoo to me  :-[
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

tyrone girl

Know the pain your talking about all up the side of your face though mine was because there wasnt the room in my mouth for the teeth and they were cutting into my gums. I was lucky enough that mine seemed to settle. Doesnt sound like this will - fizzy co codomol your best bet for now.

Mhic Easmuint

Yep Co Codamol are good and you can also take Ibuprofen as well alternatively. 

Bacon

Whiskey is the only man for toothache. Don't just drink it; sort of hold a mouthfull over the sore tooth for as long as you can before swallowing it. Do that 5 or 6 times and it numbs the nerve and cuts out the pain. 

Our grand- parent knew all this stuff about toothache but the younger generations prefer to trust pain killers and dentists.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009