Tipperary Player Jailed for assualt during match.

Started by Bacon, November 10, 2008, 01:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Be careful out there.

Club player jailed over match assault
09 November 2008

A Tipperary club hurler has become the first GAA player to be jailed for an incident which took place on the field of play after an assault left an opponent requiring reconstructive surgery on a bitten ear.

The incident occurred during a Tipperary intermediate league match in June 2006 with the case being heard in Clonmel Circuit Count last month. A Fethard player was sentenced to 12-months imprisonment with the final nine months suspended, and the 30-year old married father of two is currently serving his sentence in Limerick Prison.

An Eire Og player had part of his ear bitten off and the offender received a 96 week suspension from the GAA.

The player claimed he acted in self defence after he was trapped on the ground but Judge Donagh McDonagh handed down a custodial sentence.

GAA National Hurling Co-ordinator Paudi Butler acted as a character witness for the accused and told the Sunday Tribune that the verdict 'had sent shockwaves through the organisation'.

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

his holiness nb

Truly shocking stuff. I dont know the circumstances, but what the hell was going on in the game where the guy needed to bite part of a guys ear of "in self defence" ????

I cant imagine any circumstances where that could be justified.

Ask me holy bollix

Over the Bar

If this story isn't testimony as to why helmets should be made compulsory I dunno what is!

Maguire01

Strange that an incident serious enough to warrant a custodial sentence was only deemed worthy of a 96 week ban by the GAA. The idea of a 'lifetime ban' is often (possibly over) used on this Board, but maybe this is one such situation in which it may be appropriate.

bredaghgael86

I think this case will set the tone for more incidents were action will be taken fo incidents in matches.  I have seen things on a pitch that if it happened in the street then the offender would be arrestes and prosecuted.  Is houldnt be any diffferent because its on a pitch.  I dont know what anyone else thinks, but it may make people think twice before striking or doing watever else on the field of play.

Over the Bar

I remember a reserve player from a neighbouring club 10 years ago being reported to the cops for an assault on the field and being charged & sued.   He paid £3k compo to the player who's cheekbone he smashed.

nrico2006

The helmets don't protect the ears really, but I suppose you would have a hard job biting a man if you have a faceguard covering your mouth. 

There seems to be this mentality that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch, but there are some tramps out there who have caused serious damage to players for no reason other than they are just vicious.  As mentioned, it should be treated the same as if it were on the street, and it might come out the thuggery.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

orangeman

Was the other guy going to bite his ears off ? So he bit the ear off in self defence ? Sounds reasonable to every one but the judge !

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

Over the Bar

The only defence for an act like biting someones ear off could be that the opposing player had your gonads in a vice and was about to slowly insert white-hot needles into them.

Final Whistle

QuoteI remember a reserve player from a neighbouring club 10 years ago being reported to the cops for an assault on the field and being charged & sued.   He paid £3k compo to the player who's cheekbone he smashed.

and i remember hearing about the reception the team got on their next visit up that far.lol.