Meath V Tyrone Qualifier Round 1 Saturday 9th June 2018

Started by never kickt a ball, May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on June 11, 2018, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 11, 2018, 12:47:51 PM

Fair play to McShane coming over to say we 100% should have been given a free at the end.
I was hoping on his way to confront the ref that he'd manage to get in a sly foottap on Horses's goolies.

Fuzzman

I felt there was an element of "Howl me back boys, Howl me back".

I'd say it was very frustrating for Meath that despite them being quite poor themselves, they had a HUGE chance of a shock and threw it away and the ref certainly had an impact on that.
When you see the foul at the end it did indeed look like he would have given that at any other stage of the game but he probably knew he had to get a winner on the night and couldn't just blow it up for a replay like other times before.

Tyrone were very poor defensively I thought AGAIN in that they get so many men back and seem to have it all so rehearsed yet there seems to be a huge fear  to tackle a man who is running through. I think everything is so statistically monitored now that if you foul a man or get a tick or a yellow card its all over analysed and you could be withdrawn early. Before it was all left to the manager and assistant to spot patterns and it was a lot more subjective but if players know that if they lay a hand on and a man falls and grabs his arm and drags him down with him then he could get a black card.
I just feel too many Tyrone players are going through the motions and NOT actually tackling.
I was delighted when Colm Cavanagh came out of his sweeper role and flattened a Meath man at the start of the second half as it was the first time we showed them NO you can't just walk through us and shoot.
Time and time again Meath kicked ball in, their man got it, took his man on and kicked it over without any pressure at all. I've saw this all year in the league too. It's as if we're scared to give away a foul or get a card.

I think we will have learnt a lot from that game though and the main thing I thought was we are CURRENTLY no where near where we were this time last year where we were steam rolling everyone in Ulster.
I don't know is that because we are less fit at the moment and focusing more on peaking around August and going to get through an easier path to that stage or is it a bigger problem.

It was certainly interesting seeing Richie Donnelly and then Harry Loughran getting a chance to play in the FF line and with the odd high ball into them.

Did anyone hear was Morgan dropped or injured?

Jinxy

Another period of extra-time would have been some craic with the hurling crowd already having a meltdown over missing the start of Wexford & Kilkenny.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Knock Yer Mucker In

WT4E

Tyrone should persist with Richie inside - done well and will only get better in my opinion.

thejuice

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 11, 2018, 04:04:33 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 11, 2018, 03:45:08 PM
I think the Meath lad said Meath have something like 17 lads who should be on the panel opted out for one reason or another.

Yep, 14 certainties just walked away.

The number going round here is 18 lads walked away mainly due to the commitment levels. Many after the league which hampered preparations because had these lads gone earlier we might have had a bit more time with the lads that eventually were on the final panel.

Among others we lost:
Padraig McKeever
Ruari O' Coilleann
Harry Rooney
Paddy O'Rourke
Pauric Harnan (I heard won't be returning)
Sean Tobin

That's off the top of my head. those lads would be close to starting each game.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Donnacha Tobin and Mickey Newman also not involved in this campaign.
Tobin in particular a big loss.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: WT4E on June 12, 2018, 12:20:16 PM
Tyrone should persist with Richie inside - done well and will only get better in my opinion.
I thought he did well and offered us a good target/outlet inside.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on June 12, 2018, 12:17:23 PM
Morgan was dropped, a liability.

I think the Mickey O'Neill's club might have something to do with your opinion on this.

Fuzzman

So is he rotating them or did he get injured in the warm up?
I think Morgan is a lot more accurate with his kick-outs but also a lot more of a risk taker which often doesn't end well.

I liked the challenge on Cluxton on Sunday. Was amazed it has taken so long for someone to challenge him like that.

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 01:41:41 PM
Donnacha Tobin and Mickey Newman also not involved in this campaign.
Tobin in particular a big loss.

Yeah. Shame about Newman. I thought he was one of our few shining lights from MOD's tenure. For all the good work we are putting in at underage now my biggest worry is that the lads will be ready to jack it all in when the moment comes and we'll be left with the eager but less talented remains.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 12, 2018, 02:04:56 PM
I think Morgan is a lot more accurate with his kick-outs but also a lot more of a risk taker which often doesn't end well.

I liked the challenge on Cluxton on Sunday. Was amazed it has taken so long for someone to challenge him like that.

Take him out illegally and get a red card?

thejuice

https://soundcloud.com/user-158378740/episode-25-mcentee-to-take-time-to-decide-on-future

Good interview with Andy on this podcast as well as a little bit about our underage structures and what should hopefully deliver some silverware soon, fingers crossed.

I have to say I feel for Andy quite a bit and I'm not going to stick the boot in over him going after the referee as I can only imagine the sacrifices he and the team have made, the investment of time, money and energy. it's easy to criticise and I'm sure Andy knows it's not a good thing to do but in the heat of the moment it can get better of you.

I hope he sees out his three years at least, I genuinely feel he's got the right attitude, he is trying to set the bar higher for us, he might make some tactical mistakes but I think he's getting a raw deal from the amount of lads that left the panel.

Jinxy

Therealdonald

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 12, 2018, 05:59:57 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 12, 2018, 02:04:56 PM

Take him out illegally and get a red card?

The hypocrisy of that red card is ridiculous. If Cluxton done the opposite to the forward coming in (which he has), he'd be lauded. How many times is there innocuous challenges like this round the middle of the field with no cards?

This kind of challenge, late hit should be carried out on Cluxton at the beginning of every match. His temperament is suspect at the best of times. Love to see him left in the net in the first two mins of each game. We will be able to see how well he can pin point his kickouts then.

Just to clarify I'm not condoning wrecking him, moreso a big high ball 50/50 into the square and Cluxton let know he's in a match.