Meath V Tyrone Qualifier Round 1 Saturday 9th June 2018

Started by never kickt a ball, May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 11:11:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 11:06:14 PM
So if another group who felt solidarity with the Israelis showed up with Israeli flags, youd be fine with that?

Anyone, or any group of fans, are free to show up with any flags they want (bar obviously offensive flags) -- let them come, if you can find any. Scraping the barrel here methinks.

Its a hypothetical and yes its highly unlikely to happen, but lets just say for arguments sake Willie Fraser and a gang of followers decided to counter demonstrate with Israeli flags. Should they be afforded the same accomadation as the fellas with the Palestinian flags?

gallsman

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 11:11:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 11:06:14 PM
So if another group who felt solidarity with the Israelis showed up with Israeli flags, youd be fine with that?

Anyone, or any group of fans, are free to show up with any flags they want (bar obviously offensive flags) -- let them come, if you can find any. Scraping the barrel here methinks.

Its a hypothetical and yes its highly unlikely to happen, but lets just say for arguments sake Willie Fraser and a gang of followers decided to counter demonstrate with Israeli flags. Should they be afforded the same accomadation as the fellas with the Palestinian flags?

Willie Frazer, or whoever, is free to attend whatever games he wants, with whatever flags he wants (bar obviously offensive flegs) -- that's the whole point here. Do you think he'd voluntarily subject himself to the gaelic occasion of a game to make a point on behalf of the Israelis? 

I think, in the midst of all this, we're actually forgetting about what the GAA is all about and why it was founded in 1884 in the first instance. Suffice it to say it did not come about to bolster any establishment, but rather to challenge it, and Palestinian solidarity is simply in keeping with that fundamental tradition. Israeli flags not so much.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

under the bar

I've seen the odd 'Liverpool Premier League Champions' flag down the years which never fails to give everyone nearby a good laugh.  ;D

whitey

Quote from: Whishtup on June 10, 2018, 11:10:04 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 10:51:03 PM
So if the Israeli ambassador sent his security detail down to wave Israeli flags around at a match ......should they be tolerated too?

No place inside the stadium for these types of demonstrations.

I think you are forgetting what the GAA was founded on. There is a misconception that the support of the continuously slaughtered Palestinian people is a politically motivated stance.  I have no issue with people supporting human rights at big sporting ocassions.

But thats just an opinion youre sharing about the Palestinians. Theres lots of people all (and Im not saying I agree with them) who think that the Palestinians draw a lot of their woes down on top of themselves and that they are the aggressors

BennyHarp

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 11:32:50 PM
So if the Israeli ambassador sent his security detail down to wave Israeli flags around at a match ......should they be tolerated too?

I think you are forgetting what the GAA was founded on. There is a misconception that the support of the continuously slaughtered Palestinian people is a politically motivated stance.  I have no issue with people supporting human rights at big sporting ocassions.

But thats just an opinion youre sharing about the Palestinians. Theres lots of people all (and Im not saying I agree with them) who think that the Palestinians draw a lot of their woes down on top of themselves and that they are the aggressors

And of course the same accusation was leveled at the Nationalist community in Northern Ireland over the years by large sections of influential media, hence the solidarity with their plight.
That was never a square ball!!

Whishtup

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 10, 2018, 11:39:40 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 11:32:50 PM

And of course the same accusation was leveled at the Nationalist community in Northern Ireland over the years by large sections of influential media, hence the solidarity with their plight.

If anyone thinks that the Palestinians are the aggressors in this conflict,  they are either politically or financially motivated, or just not the full shilling.  Anyway, it is probably futile and a disservice for us to be twisting about such a serious issue within the safe confines of a gaa forum.  I hope those desperate people get a break.

Ohtoohtobe

What exactly is McEntee complaining about? I was reading his quotes and he's on about O'Sullivan landing in the small square ... it's irrelevant where he lands, what matters is where he was fouled.
And look, I thought it was probably a penalty, but it wasn't so clear cut that I'd be lambasting the ref over it. He should cop himself on.

rrhf

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Jinxy on June 10, 2018, 11:16:48 PM
Ulster GAA confirms Palestinian flag not allowed in grounds

A spokesman for the Ulster Council last night said: "There is no flag allowed other than the official (GAA) flag, national flag and team colours.
"The display and possession of flag poles is contrary to ground regulations."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/22/news/ulster-gaa-confirms-palestinian-flag-not-allowed-in-grounds-1335396/

Has any other provincial council said anything about this?
Has Croke Park?

So, unlike Croke Park, Ulster Council has no problem with umbrellas.

seafoid

Because of Ireland's history as a colony of England, Irish nationalism is strongly pro Palestinian.  This is even more pronounced in the occupied territories. Palestine is a fairly safe issue because in both Ireland and Scotland Zionism has very little leverage.
Maybe the GAA is afraid of the Israeli embassy
Otherwise it must be the commercial director's shitehawking
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

stephenite

I read somewhere that these guys were planning this as part of some attempt to highlight their cause by ensuring it was caught on TV by Murdoch's media ;D ;D ;D

Jinxy

I believe we have recalled our ambassador from Tyrone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

A few weeks ago I wrote...
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 01, 2018, 02:43:27 PM
Does anyone else think Meath and Kildare chose to get out of the Leinster championship as early as they could
They know its soul destroying playing in a competition they have no chance of EVER winning and so the quicker they get into the qualifiers the better. They could get a good run of matches and build up a head of steam, rather than getting to a Leinster final, take a massive hammering and then not recover in time for the last round of qualifiers.

I wonder was there any strange betting activity last weekend in Kildare and Dulchieland?

Today Jinxy wrote...
Quote from: Jinxy on June 11, 2018, 09:14:02 AM

My hypothesis is, if you're going to exit your provincial championship, get out good and early.
This is a particularly insidious premise in Leinster, where you know you have zero chance of winning the thing.
Meath & Kildare were both much improved in Round 1 (I know we still lost) after losing to Longford & Carlow.
If we had beaten Tyrone in normal-time, today we'd be looking at playing a round 2 team, and against anyone other than Monaghan, I'd fancy our chances.

At least yer manager has got that fighting spirit

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/meath-manager-andy-mcentee-laments-referees-performance-tyrone-loss-163193

It's nice to win Ulster every so often but "Oh my God" it's so much more fun going the more colourful route, especially when you know you've no chance of winning Sam anyway. Great excitement and entertainment on a sunny evening in beautiful Navan, loads of biased, angry, Ulster hating Meath men who still can't accept their old kick and rush game has changed and now its common to hit a 40 yard pass backwards to "CLOSE OUT" the game.
There were a few aul fellas behind me in the main stand who I was worried were gonna have a heart attack with their shouting and annoyance and one lad even give me a shoulder on the way past so I went down clutching my face for the craic.
:o :o :o

Lose to Longford and then Tyrone in the championship instead of a getting a hammering against the Dubs.
Hmmm maybe didn't work out quite as ye had planned.

Having Cavan, Rossies, Tipp and Clare finish above ye in the league. OUCH!!!
Bring back Boylan the wizard to magic up some herbes to save ye from Mordor

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 11, 2018, 12:47:51 PM

It's nice to win Ulster every so often but "Oh my God" it's so much more fun going the more colourful route, especially when you know you've no chance of winning Sam anyway. Great excitement and entertainment on a sunny evening in beautiful Navan, loads of biased, angry, Ulster hating Meath men who still can't accept their old kick and rush game has changed and now its common to hit a 40 yard pass backwards to "CLOSE OUT" the game.
There were a few aul fellas behind me in the main stand who I was worried were gonna have a heart attack with their shouting and annoyance and one lad even give me a shoulder on the way past so I went down clutching my face for the craic.
:o :o :o

Lose to Longford and then Tyrone in the championship instead of a getting a hammering against the Dubs.
Hmmm maybe didn't work out quite as ye had planned.

Having Cavan, Rossies, Tipp and Clare finish above ye in the league. OUCH!!!
Bring back Boylan the wizard to magic up some herbes to save ye from Mordor

That's how they say 'Congratulations, best of luck in the next round' in North Meath.
If you were any use you'd be playing.