Meath V Tyrone Qualifier Round 1 Saturday 9th June 2018

Started by never kickt a ball, May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

:)

On a rather more sombre note, Fuzzman and I were chatting to a trio of young men in Ryans after the game, from Dublin, Laois, and Meath, respectively, and it painted a fairly depressing picture of Leinster, and wider football, in general.

Have the GAA created such a monster in Dublin, that it will end up devouring the sport itself, due to the relative and predictable invincibility of the Dubs, resulting in plummeting attendances to the point of non-viability, such is their dominance?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 03:00:16 PM
:)

On a rather more sombre note, Fuzzman and I were chatting to a trio of young men in Ryans after the game, from Dublin, Laois, and Meath, respectively, and it painted a fairly depressing picture of Leinster, and wider football, in general.

Have the GAA created such a monster in Dublin, that it will end up devouring the sport itself, due to the relative and predictable invincibility of the Dubs, resulting in plummeting attendances to the point of non-viability, such is their dominance?

Yes

gallsman

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 10, 2018, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2018, 01:41:28 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 01:33:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 10, 2018, 01:30:01 PM
This is the sort of insightful, nuanced analysis that keep me coming back to the board.

:D ;D

Don't get your smugness on it. You've just admitted you have absolutely zero knowledge of the occurrent in question yet saw fit to accuse me of supporting the Israeli genocide in Palestine because I like to watch football matches unimpeded.

Just out of interest, how many times have you complained to the Gardaí because of flags interfering with your ability to watch matches? Or do you know of anyone who has ever complained to the authorities because their view of a game was impeded? This whole idea of this being about somebody complaining because their view of the match was impeded is farcical. Had that guy been waving a Tyrone flag would he have been removed from the ground or even accosted about his flag in the first place?

If I asked someone to take a flag down all I could watch a game and they refused, then I'd absolutely complain to the Gardai. Thankfully I've never come across that kind of twat, with the exception of a langer women who gave it large to me sheet I repeatedly had to ask her to sit down and let us watch the match at the 2013 hurling final when Cork went a point up at the end (making O'Donovan's equaliser all the more enjoyable).

The suggestion here is that the individual involved refused to take the flag down when requested, thus valuing their desire to make a political statement (whether or not it's one you agree with is irrelevant) more than the right of the other spectators to view the match they paid to come and see. If (and again I stress, for your benefit, if) that's the case, then it's absolutely right that he was asked to take it down by the guards.

thejuice

I know this is a thread about flags but anyone have any thoughts about the little bit of football that went on between the main flag events.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Quote from: thejuice on June 10, 2018, 05:38:37 PM
I know this is a thread about flags but anyone have any thoughts about the little bit of football that went on between the main flag events.

Not a whole lot. We're not at the races. We don't even know where to get the bus to the races. Tyrone were awful but still we let them beat us. And the least we could have done was lose with a bit of dignity, but our manager had to make an ape of himself.

We can only wait and hope that the work being done with the youngsters will bear fruit in time.

tonto1888

Quote from: Hardy on June 10, 2018, 05:47:03 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 10, 2018, 05:38:37 PM

Not a whole lot. We're not at the races. We don't even know where to get the bus to the races. Tyrone were awful but still we let them beat us. And the least we could have done was lose with a bit of dignity, but our manager had to make an ape of himself.

We can only wait and hope that the work being done with the youngsters will bear fruit in time.

What did your manager do?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on June 10, 2018, 05:47:03 PM

Yep, we only managed to convert 2 of our 7 clear cut goal chances over the 90 minutes (against Meath's 0 from 0), must try harder, granted, must try feckin harder...

Champion The Wonder Horse

I believe that the GAA has an "official" policy on the flying of the Palestinian flag which led to yesterday's events.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 01:09:40 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2018, 01:02:05 PM
Watching games is the function of a stadium, this should not be compromised for political showboating, this can take place at the back of the stand or the corner where it is not blocking anyone.

Yes, and for the most part they hoist those flags completely unobtrusively, in no one's line of sight.

Like I said, little to be complaining about.

A supporter will raise the flag after a score or when the band is parading around, in sync with the game.
A political publicist will raise  their banner whenever the camera comes that way and f ú ck everyone else.

You can see it on the highlights there, these people were flying the flag before the score when people want to see whether the ball went over or not.
You may say it is a small thing, but in my opinion the prime viewing positions should be for people wanting to watch the game, not those promoting their own agenda.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2018, 06:00:28 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 01:09:40 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2018, 01:02:05 PM
Watching games is the function of a stadium, this should not be compromised for political showboating, this can take place at the back of the stand or the corner where it is not blocking anyone.

Yes, and for the most part they hoist those flags completely unobtrusively, in no one's line of sight.

Like I said, little to be complaining about.

A supporter will raise the flag after a score or when the band is parading around, in sync with the game.
A political publicist will raise  their banner whenever the camera comes that way and f ú ck everyone else.

You can see it on the highlights there, these people were flying the flag before the score when people want to see whether the ball went over or not.
You may say it is a small thing, but in my opinion the prime viewing positions should be for people wanting to watch the game, not those promoting their own agenda.

This is a rather Utopian perspective, and not one that I personally subscribe to; this idea, that no one in this world needs their cause publicised despite measures to have it silenced. No apologies for highlighting the desperate plight of those desperately afflicted, and as I say, little discomfort for those that would rather not contemplate the horror of it all.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: OffTheDeck on June 10, 2018, 01:13:57 PM
I think it's an absolute disgrace that those blue shirts stepped in and felt it necessary to "remove" said gentleman from the game. He was flying a flag and has a right to do so, also has a right to defend himself. Pretty sure we can all take "abusive" with a pinch of salt. Don't see too many free staters getting arrested either, lets not forget this is the same bunch who sold out the 6 counties, then ridiculed and prosecuted the actions of those to tried to fight for their rights. Same old yes man mentality, different century. Take it down from the mast Irish traitors!
Spoken like a true shinner cultist.

Owenmoresider

Afraid so.

Syferus

People from the north using the Palestinian flag as a prop is probably one of their more ill-advised choices. The people in Gaza would love to have their cushy lifes and political situation.

longballin

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 10, 2018, 06:26:25 PM
Afraid so.

The Dubs created it. Excellence. It will pass as the Kilkenny era passed and Kerry golden years.

tonto1888

Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2018, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 10, 2018, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2018, 01:41:28 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 01:33:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 10, 2018, 01:30:01 PM
This is the sort of insightful, nuanced analysis that keep me coming back to the board.

:D ;D

Don't get your smugness on it. You've just admitted you have absolutely zero knowledge of the occurrent in question yet saw fit to accuse me of supporting the Israeli genocide in Palestine because I like to watch football matches unimpeded.

Just out of interest, how many times have you complained to the Gardaí because of flags interfering with your ability to watch matches? Or do you know of anyone who has ever complained to the authorities because their view of a game was impeded? This whole idea of this being about somebody complaining because their view of the match was impeded is farcical. Had that guy been waving a Tyrone flag would he have been removed from the ground or even accosted about his flag in the first place?

If I asked someone to take a flag down all I could watch a game and they refused, then I'd absolutely complain to the Gardai. Thankfully I've never come across that kind of twat, with the exception of a langer women who gave it large to me sheet I repeatedly had to ask her to sit down and let us watch the match at the 2013 hurling final when Cork went a point up at the end (making O'Donovan's equaliser all the more enjoyable).

The suggestion here is that the individual involved refused to take the flag down when requested, thus valuing their desire to make a political statement (whether or not it's one you agree with is irrelevant) more than the right of the other spectators to view the match they paid to come and see. If (and again I stress, for your benefit, if) that's the case, then it's absolutely right that he was asked to take it down by the guards.

Would it not be stewards you complain to?