31 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

tiempo

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 02, 2021, 01:38:06 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2021, 11:38:59 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 31, 2021, 10:17:25 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 31, 2021, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 31, 2021, 04:55:21 AM
What kind of a thread is this? Do you people think speed limits are just put there to hassle people? Have you any idea how many people are killed by vehicular violence every year?

Stop speeding and pay the fine, you potential killers!

Jesus Christ!
+1
+1 from me too!
United Irelanders except when it comes to law and order.   It's a case of 'how can I use my 6 county residence to my advantage'.
expect nothing less from the nordies on here  ::)

All going well for you over there in the shires of Roscommon?

BennyCake

If you had just spotted speed cameras, would you warn motorists heading in its direction ?

I would normally flash the lights. Think it's just a 'us v them' mentality, but I also think, we'll you should be slowing down at the 30/40mph zone anyway, so maybe a fine would teach you a lesson. And next time you're heading that way, you'll not slow down because you haven't been warned/no speed vans there, so nothing changes.

The amount of people clearly doing maybe 50+ in a 30 zone really does annoy me. It's not about being caught speeding, it's about being in a built up area, and there are children about, walkers, bicycles, bus stops, schools etc.

general

Regarding all above;

I was caught on the M1 at Drogheda - i simply asked what's the process about transfer of points/fines etc - i was not trying to dodge or not pay or use my "6 county status" - so i have incorrectly used this topic fair enough.

absolutely i deserve the fine i will get and will pay it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general on February 02, 2021, 12:43:14 PM
Regarding all above;

I was caught on the M1 at Drogheda - i simply asked what's the process about transfer of points/fines etc - i was not trying to dodge or not pay or use my "6 county status" - so i have incorrectly used this topic fair enough.

Yeah, its not a biggy, if the fine comes to the door pay it...

As for the other post by Bennycake, I used to flash the lights to inform drivers but if I'm in a built up area I'll defo not flash the lights, its 30 for a reason, after being done a couple of times in the past, my fault and over the limit no excuse I've learned to follow the speed limits.

There may be times though on the motorway that I've sat at mid to late 70's, was even stopped by the police one time doing 80, he wasn't giving me a fine, just was wondering why I never stopped when they put the lights on! I never noticed to be honest but I thought I'd get a fine but no, he was just wondering why I didn't stop! I can't even remember why they wanted to stop me in the first place! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: general on February 02, 2021, 12:43:14 PM
Regarding all above;

Don't worry about it, some of the lads on this board have a serious problem with the North for whatever reason. I'd say the majority of the normal ones here just took you at face value.

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on February 02, 2021, 12:24:44 PM
If you had just spotted speed cameras, would you warn motorists heading in its direction ?

I would normally flash the lights. Think it's just a 'us v them' mentality, but I also think, we'll you should be slowing down at the 30/40mph zone anyway, so maybe a fine would teach you a lesson. And next time you're heading that way, you'll not slow down because you haven't been warned/no speed vans there, so nothing changes.

The amount of people clearly doing maybe 50+ in a 30 zone really does annoy me. It's not about being caught speeding, it's about being in a built up area, and there are children about, walkers, bicycles, bus stops, schools etc.

Yes I would warn people by flashing lights. The position of speed cameras is already communicated by government in the south already, they want you to know they are there and to slow down. They are, in theory, supposed to be placed in dangerous spots anyway.

general_lee

I'd always flash lights. If there's an obstruction, flooding, collision etc and speed trap is no different. I have been caught out speeding twice, both in built up area by the same fixed camera but both only slightly over and years apart so was able to do speed course on both - this is what I don't understand though - someone who speeds by 2/3 mph over limit gets a course, whereas someone who is way over the limit doesn't! It should be mandatory!

pbat

I see from midnight its 6 penalty points for driving on the phone and 200 pound fine.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: pbat on February 02, 2021, 03:11:13 PM
I see from midnight its 6 penalty points for driving on the phone and 200 pound fine.

Driving with the phone to your ear should be treated the same as driving drunk. It's just as dangerous.

general

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 02, 2021, 04:02:47 PM

Driving with the phone to your ear should be treated the same as driving drunk. It's just as dangerous.

Agreed. What cars dont have built in phone system these days?

restorepride

Quote from: general_lee on February 02, 2021, 01:58:03 PM
I'd always flash lights. If there's an obstruction, flooding, collision etc and speed trap is no different. I have been caught out speeding twice, both in built up area by the same fixed camera but both only slightly over and years apart so was able to do speed course on both - this is what I don't understand though - someone who speeds by 2/3 mph over limit gets a course, whereas someone who is way over the limit doesn't! It should be mandatory!
I think they are deemed 'curable'!  Others not.   I used to flash lights (mainly for UDR patrols!) until a neighbour of ours mistook the flashing from a lorry to come out of a local junction.  Later the lorry driver said he had flashed the lights warning the car not to come out.   Neighbour was shunted 30 yards up a grass embankment and hospitalised for two months.  That ended the flashing lights carry on!

David McKeown

The points weren't the problem.  The problem is how hard is to prove in the North.  Really needed to outlaw touching or holding a phone whilst driving.  I see no benefit to for example being able hold your phone to record whilst driving
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyCake

Quote from: restorepride on February 02, 2021, 07:40:44 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 02, 2021, 01:58:03 PM
I think they are deemed 'curable'!  Others not.   I used to flash lights (mainly for UDR patrols!) until a neighbour of ours mistook the flashing from a lorry to come out of a local junction.  Later the lorry driver said he had flashed the lights warning the car not to come out.   Neighbour was shunted 30 yards up a grass embankment and hospitalised for two months.  That ended the flashing lights carry on!

I'd always be careful with someone signalling to you to overtake, turn in... just because you're telling me it's safe to pull out/overtake, I'm still going to check myself.

Yeah I would use the lights to warn of danger. Don't like it when motorists flash you just because they  recognise my car (or mistake me for someone else). Any time that happens, I think there must be a cow on the loose, obstruction/flood ahead etc, and most of the time it turns out to be nothing! Just some bollix saying hello!