Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 17, 2016, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 17, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 17, 2016, 05:53:41 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2016, 02:08:43 PM
Rooney making a show of himself again, if he was producing the goods on the pitch he'd get away with it but he isn't.
What did he do? Had a few drinks got a little tipsy and someone decided to post his drunken face up on social media. Plenty of Irish people will be doing the same this weekend or as you like to call it making a show of themselves.

Apart from any of the players preparing for a provincial semi final or final over the next few weeks. Or even U21 championship matches. If someone paid me £300,000 a week to be at the peak physical condition I can possibly be in for nine months of the year (never mind 4 days before a match), I'd definitely not be on the sauce in the team hotel in the middle of the season.

How do you know all of those GAA players won't hit the sauce? Wayne Rooney made his premier league debut as a 16 year old, loads of mileage on the clock and injuries since then and drink or no drink he's well past his physical peak at this stage. It was Ed Woodward that was foolish enough to give and continue to give him those extraordinary wages for a player only a shadow of what he once was.

If you think that any of the Kilcoo/Slaughtneill/St Vincent's etc players are going to be on the drink any time between now and their next match, then you're incredibly out of touch with the reality of club GAA. It doesn't matter what age he is, he is a professional athlete and should therefore not be drunk at 5am during the season.

DuffleKing

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 17, 2016, 09:28:25 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 17, 2016, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 17, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 17, 2016, 05:53:41 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2016, 02:08:43 PM
Rooney making a show of himself again, if he was producing the goods on the pitch he'd get away with it but he isn't.
What did he do? Had a few drinks got a little tipsy and someone decided to post his drunken face up on social media. Plenty of Irish people will be doing the same this weekend or as you like to call it making a show of themselves.

Apart from any of the players preparing for a provincial semi final or final over the next few weeks. Or even U21 championship matches. If someone paid me £300,000 a week to be at the peak physical condition I can possibly be in for nine months of the year (never mind 4 days before a match), I'd definitely not be on the sauce in the team hotel in the middle of the season.

How do you know all of those GAA players won't hit the sauce? Wayne Rooney made his premier league debut as a 16 year old, loads of mileage on the clock and injuries since then and drink or no drink he's well past his physical peak at this stage. It was Ed Woodward that was foolish enough to give and continue to give him those extraordinary wages for a player only a shadow of what he once was.

If you think that any of the Kilcoo/Slaughtneill/St Vincent's etc players are going to be on the drink any time between now and their next match, then you're incredibly out of touch with the reality of club GAA. It doesn't matter what age he is, he is a professional athlete and should therefore not be drunk at 5am during the season.

They may or may not be drinking before their next match but I can tell you it would make no difference to their performance if they did at the right time. Rooney was a week out from his next game with a day off the next day. Assuming he is professional about his conditioning, recovery, nutrition, etc. at other times it makes no difference physically to have a blow out. Anyone who argues it does should post up their evidence.

I'd make two points on this. 1, GAA attitudes to abstinence is ridiculous. 2, People making an issue out of Rooney on the beer in this manner need to have a word with themselves. I have no regard for him and would have shipped him out three years ago but criticising him over this? Not a chance.

Captain Obvious

Wasn't it the scummy Sun newspaper that broke that drunken Rooney story?
Jürgen Klopp on Rooney: ‘All the legends drank like devils and smoked like crazy

magpie seanie

When you're a club (and national team???) captain who has recently lost his starting place for the first time ever for both club and country I'd say you shouldn't be getting bladdered in the middle of a season. You should be resting or training. Especially when you're lucky enough to come from a modest background to be paid astronomical wages due to your ability at something you love doing.

Since I last posted here further JM bullsh1t with calling out Smalling and Shaw. Anyone who can't see Mourinho is mentally unwell and totally incapable of doing this job just isn't looking properly. Hopefully the team can beat Arsenal and go on a run of wins to get back into contention but it looks realistically that another poor PL will be won by someone else.

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 18, 2016, 02:30:56 PM
When you're a club (and national team???) captain who has recently lost his starting place for the first time ever for both club and country I'd say you shouldn't be getting bladdered in the middle of a season. You should be resting or training. Especially when you're lucky enough to come from a modest background to be paid astronomical wages due to your ability at something you love doing.

Since I last posted here further JM bullsh1t with calling out Smalling and Shaw. Anyone who can't see Mourinho is mentally unwell and totally incapable of doing this job just isn't looking properly. Hopefully the team can beat Arsenal and go on a run of wins to get back into contention but it looks realistically that another poor PL will be won by someone else.

That's a really poor thing to say about anyone..

AZOffaly

This drinking thing is weird. I've never been a fan of the drink bans, but I think most players know if they are on the sauce, they'll not be performing at peak condition, and therefore they avoid it. However, I think most people are becoming a little more realistic about it now, and even though the media made a big thing about the Tipp lads having a few pints after a game, most of the other teams said they do the same thing.

I know from personal experience that most Rugby teams who visit Munster in the League or ERC end up having a fair few pints the evening of the game in the Strand Hotel or wherever.

stew

Quote from: Boycey on November 18, 2016, 02:54:57 PM

It us not, it is simply one mans opinion.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on November 18, 2016, 02:54:57 PM

Sorry if I offended but I genuinely feel the guy looks haunted and depressed. Perhaps you interpreted it differently so allow me that clarification. I don't like the guy but I wasn't saying it as a term of abuse....I think he's really struggling and is acting extremely irrationally.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 18, 2016, 02:58:53 PM
This drinking thing is weird. I've never been a fan of the drink bans, but I think most players know if they are on the sauce, they'll not be performing at peak condition, and therefore they avoid it. However, I think most people are becoming a little more realistic about it now, and even though the media made a big thing about the Tipp lads having a few pints after a game, most of the other teams said they do the same thing.

I know from personal experience that most Rugby teams who visit Munster in the League or ERC end up having a fair few pints the evening of the game in the Strand Hotel or wherever.

I agree. A few pints is fine but bladdered at 4 or 5am - not on at all.

stew

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 17, 2016, 11:17:57 PM
Jürgen Klopp on Rooney: 'All the legends drank like devils and smoked like crazy

I am a Liverpool hater as a watered down manure fan since I was no age, georgie best is to blame, that said i have always admired the kop and have not read that scum sun snotrag since they lied about Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough.

At my core I am a failed Gaelic footballer, I never wear any jersey of any club save two,  Armagh Harps and the Armagh County Team Jersey, to me they are sacrosanct and I love them equally, I love the notion of best, Carlton etc but have no affinity to the multi millionaires that grace old Trafford these days.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: stew on November 18, 2016, 06:29:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious link=topic=32.msg16460

sg1646073 date=1479424677

Jürgen Klopp on Rooney: 'All the legends drank like devils and smoked like crazy

I am a Liverpool hater as a watered down manure fan since I was no age, georgie best is to blame, that said i have always admired the kop and have not read that scum sun snotrag since they lied about Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough.

At my core I am a failed Gaelic footballer, I never wear any jersey of any club save two,  Armagh Harps and the Armagh County Team Jersey, to me they are sacrosanct and I love them equally, I love the notion of best, Carlton etc but have no affinity to the multi millionaires that grace old Trafford these days.

I wouldnt wipe my ass with the Sun newspaper. A watered supporter still shouldn't use that term.

The term "ManUre" originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave

George Best wasn't to blame he was alcoholic much like Paul McGrath,Tony Adams,Gazza etc and they couldn't help themselves. Poor Georgie died too soon because of the drink.

PW Nally

Good and all as he was Carlton Palmer not in same league as Best.

muppet

Quote from: PW Nally on November 18, 2016, 07:22:05 PM

Good and all as he was Carlton Palmer not in same league as Best.

Are you Tommy Carr?
MWWSI 2017

Dougal Maguire

I'm always intrigued by people you saying I'm a Liverpoo hater. I got my eyes opened in that respect when talking to am English colleague from Blackburn about a Leeds/ Blackburn match. I kept referring to Leeds as us, until he reminded me that I didn't actually live there. So by you. I could understand you being an Ogs, or a Tyrone hater (sure aren't we all the latter) but why Liverpool?
Careful now

seafoid

Pep is very impressive. He is like the Dermot Earley of soccer

Wayne Rooney gained support from an unexpected source when Pep Guardiola put a dent in his own image of saintly perfection by admitting he, too, used to drink while away on international duty.
"I was lucky there were no pictures," the Manchester City manager said. "I won't comment on the private lives of others because I don't like it when people comment on my private life but when I was an international I sometimes had a drink. When you drink, you are the one responsible. I don't think the association has to be responsible. We are people, we are old enough to take responsibility. Everyone is entitled to a private life so we have to respect what other people do."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU