Words only the Irish use.

Started by SidelineKick, December 05, 2008, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2014, 11:52:34 AM
Anyone hear of 'Kennat'? Not sure how you spell it. It's like an affectionate name for a messer, usually for a very young child. 'You're a little kennat'. Used around Westmeath and Offaly, and now, thanks to me, North Tipp.

I think it's a 'local' pronunciation of 'gnat', as in annoying insect - it would be cinnat in North Longford, South Cavan, South Laythrum. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

That's the one. Phonetically that sounds more like what we say too. Cinnat.

haranguerer

Interesting - probably linked to 'Jinnet' (or any variation of that spelling which produces a similar sound) [fermanagh] affectionate name for a young child as AZ states, usually said as pinching said jinnets cheek...

AZOffaly

We have jinnet as well, but I always understood that to be a sort of an eegit. As in Jennet, female donkey.

haranguerer

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2014, 12:42:45 PM
We have jinnet as well, but I always understood that to be a sort of an eegit. As in Jennet, female donkey.

Maybe thats where its from, but i've never known it in that context

Billys Boots

I thought the jinnet was the offspring of 'relations' between horses and donkeys - not the mule, the other wan!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

did you ever hear of 'Bunyoge'? Pronounce 'Bun-Yóg' (sounds like óg)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 30, 2014, 12:53:28 PM
I thought the jinnet was the offspring of 'relations' between horses and donkeys - not the mule, the other wan!

Maybe. I just thought it was a female donkey. Jack and Jenny, so I assume Jennet was a female donkey. You could be right though.

Here you go. You were right.

Here's your bit of Irish for the day: jennet.
While it might be an English word, its definition is slightly altered here in Ireland. I hadn't actually heard the word before moving here and hearing locals use the word frequently in their metaphors; "He made a jennet out of me" (meaning that one was made to appear foolish) or "I went motoring down the road like a jennet" (meaning one went very fast).
Now the dictionary defines Jennet as "A female Donkey" and "A small Spanish horse." Irish people would disagree with this; a jennet is definitely not a donkey – donkeys reproduce, jennets cannot. A jennet is the offspring of a stallion and a female donkey, akin to a mule, which is the offspring of a mare and a male donkey. Now!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2014, 12:54:31 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 30, 2014, 12:53:28 PM

Maybe. I just thought it was a female donkey. Jack and Jenny, so I assume Jennet was a female donkey. You could be right though.

Here you go. You were right.

Here's your bit of Irish for the day: jennet.
While it might be an English word, its definition is slightly altered here in Ireland. I hadn't actually heard the word before moving here and hearing locals use the word frequently in their metaphors; "He made a jennet out of me" (meaning that one was made to appear foolish) or "I went motoring down the road like a jennet" (meaning one went very fast).
Now the dictionary defines Jennet as "A female Donkey" and "A small Spanish horse." Irish people would disagree with this; a jennet is definitely not a donkey – donkeys reproduce, jennets cannot. A jennet is the offspring of a stallion and a female donkey, akin to a mule, which is the offspring of a mare and a male donkey. Now!

ziggysego

I live outside Omagh.

"I'm going down to Derry"

"I'm going up to Dublin"

What's that about?
Testing Accessibility

gerrykeegan

Anyone hear of 'Kennat'? Not sure how you spell it. It's like an affectionate name for a messer, usually for a very young child. 'You're a little kennat'. Used around Westmeath and Offaly, and now, thanks to me, North Tipp.
I call both my young lads that when they are messing. Wouldn't have had a clue how to spell it.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

general_lee

Which counties use the word 'aye'?

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on June 30, 2014, 01:11:17 PM
I live outside Omagh.

"I'm going down to Derry"

"I'm going up to Dublin"

What's that about?

The same can be heard in Newry. Also, I remember telling the wife that someone was "away down the street". She was puzzled until I explained it meant away into town.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 30, 2014, 12:11:57 PM

I think it's a 'local' pronunciation of 'gnat', as in annoying insect - it would be cinnat in North Longford, South Cavan, South Laythrum. 
Meath, too and I'm sure I heard my Wexford/Wicklow uncles using it. Never heard of or considered the gnat connection. Maybe.

DoireGael

Purdies for Potato's? Used in North Derry and parts of Antrim (Ballycastle) from what I know.