Words only the Irish use.

Started by SidelineKick, December 05, 2008, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Is it only in Newry where "to go down the street" means "to go into town"?
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 28, 2013, 04:26:06 PM

My wife who is from Glengormley used to laugh at me when I said that.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Walter Cronc

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but 'scundered' to us South Derry men means pissed off whereas around Newry it means embarrassed??

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 28, 2013, 04:26:06 PM

Same in Portadown, though it was only one street we went to!

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on February 28, 2013, 03:19:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 28, 2013, 11:27:49 AM
Doing the messages for an elderly neighbour.

And that's another one. Messages everywhere else are transmitted items of information. In Ireland they can be groceries! I don't see an origin for it in the Irish language, though "teachtairecht" is given as "message or errand", so maybe the second meaning has been expanded to include the subject of the errand.

This mode of expression had very serious consequences back in about the 80s when the Irish girlfriend of a Middle-Eastern suspect in a bombing was being interrogated by the English police. When they asked something like "and why did you go out that evening?", she answered, "to do the messages". Cue hours of interrogation about the content of these messages, the recipient, etc., terrorism charges and an appearance in the Old Bailey. As far as I remember, she was eventually acquitted.

This expression was used in Belfast as well, though strangely not in Fermanagh, as Mrs AQMP still laughs whenever I use this term.  I remember reading that an explanation was that whenever people used to do their shopping in the local green grocers, butchers, drapers, post office etc (instead of getting everything from under the one roof), while going from shop to shop they picked up and delivered the latest news e.g. "Did you hear our Sarah had her baby...Paddy's got a new job"...etc etc and the shopkeeper would reciprocate with "Mrs O'Donnell was in earlier and told me that..."  In this way very local news was made known, hence "doing the messages".

It might be true but then it could be a load of balls as well?

AQMP

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 28, 2013, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on February 28, 2013, 11:53:10 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on February 28, 2013, 10:15:16 AM
Not a word but how the letter H is pronounced as is Mark McQ rather than McHugh.  Is this only an Ulster thing?

Definitely an Ulster thing...same with the pronunciation of the name Haughey.

Ulster says Hawkey
Rest say Hawhee
English and Ulster people have difficulty pronouncing names like Cathal, Haughey and Doherty. The 'ohh' sound throws them.
Instead you get Cahill, Hockey and Docherty.

f**k off, only plebs say that!!  I'm strictly a Hawhee, Dawherty man. 

Growing up in Belfast it was common to hear Cathal and Cahill both pronounced Cackle, Lock for Lough etc.  One I cannot stand is Mackerafelt (shudder).  Q for Hugh was very common as was the occasional upmarket Q-go for Hugo.

Kid Twist

Doherty is pronounced Dordy in Derry-I think as we would probably have the most Dohertys in Ireland this should be regarded as the official way of pronouncing it :)

seafoid

"Take care would you" as in for example

Take care would you hit that sliotar towards the near post. Meaning "don't".,m

I never heard the phrase in England.

Another one common in Galway is "let ye" as in "let ye go out and play"
Where a tan would say "go and play". Must be the Gaeilge .

seafoid

"Lookit"
A great word really. Lookit the backs were shite.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 28, 2013, 04:41:49 PM
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but 'scundered' to us South Derry men means pissed off whereas around Newry it means embarrassed??

Around Lurgan it means embarrassed.

Pangurban

They never asked me,had i a mouth on me. Common expression when not offered food or drink
She had a Nose on her. Conceited female
By the Hokey
Blather. Foolish talk

Billys Boots

'Odious' (pronounced Ojus) is used in Cavan and North Longford as an adjective to highlight the noun - can be ojus good or ojus bad. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

johnneycool

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 01, 2013, 08:41:24 AM
'Odious' (pronounced Ojus) is used in Cavan and North Longford as an adjective to highlight the noun - can be ojus good or ojus bad.

'Fierce ojus and be-damned-able' as a big lad from Fermanagh used to say.

seafoid

I think blather is English

"Smather" is another good one but it sounds Irish.- A child could smather jam all over the curtains.
It is spelt "smeadar" in Irish.

Peadar Smeadar was a local nickname for someone who was a bit slipshod occasionally.