Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Laois battling well in second half but Dublin keeping them at arm's length without putting them away.

sid waddell

Should be a really beneficial game for Dublin with Kilkenny up next week

Two lovely goals by Burke and Trollier

Think we might do them

Helix.

Disappointing result but it was expected Dublin would have a backlash after last year's loss. Their first touch and passing a lot better than Laois. Their work rate and intensity far superior to ours.
Cleaned out of it from open play in forward line the 2 sweepers killing us up front. Took our long range points well but never hinted at winning the game. Count our blessings it wasn't kilkenny we were hurling tonight! Hopefully they'll learn from this and build again in 2021.

burdizzo

And their strength, time and time again, was way ahead of ours.
In fairness, without any sort of momentum, and coming in cold against one of the big(-ish) boys, we were out of our league. Very little time together as a team, either, so... Was always going to be hard. Mind you, the initial team selection, I thought, was a bit of a gamble that didn't work out.

G@@

Thought 0-23 was a reasonable tally from an open play style of game - but the decision to have Roddy take the frees especially after Kav came on was intriguing. We could have been closer to Dublin for that alone. Thought the final goal was an unfair reflection on our overall workrate which was decent overall. Not pushing forward was our downfall, the Dublin FB line and GK never were really tested, a ruthless KK side will no doubt find that out next Saturday, which is what I thought EB would have seeked to exploit tonight.
Keyes and Broderick need more time to settle in, thought Jack Kelly was a great addition (why didn't he start). The dirtiness afforded to Purcell was disgraceful and Sutcliffe should have marched to the line - one of a very few complaints over that Ref tonight. Hopefully the lads will stick it out and give the qualifiers a shot - they have something promising bubbling there.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

marty34

Quote from: G@@ on October 24, 2020, 11:51:09 PM
Thought 0-23 was a reasonable tally from an open play style of game - but the decision to have Roddy take the frees especially after Kav came on was intriguing. We could have been closer to Dublin for that alone. Thought the final goal was an unfair reflection on our overall workrate which was decent overall. Not pushing forward was our downfall, the Dublin FB line and GK never were really tested, a ruthless KK side will no doubt find that out next Saturday, which is what I thought EB would have seeked to exploit tonight.
Keyes and Broderick need more time to settle in, thought Jack Kelly was a great addition (why didn't he start). The dirtiness afforded to Purcell was disgraceful and Sutcliffe should have marched to the line - one of a very few complaints over that Ref tonight. Hopefully the lads will stick it out and give the qualifiers a shot - they have something promising bubbling there.

Kavanagh must be rusty enough after being out so long. Another few training sessions, plus half an hour last night will do him no harm.

G@@

Agreed. Kavanagh will benefit greatly from that (half) game last night.

On another note it was great for the lads to be back in Croke Park, three Championship games out of the last four games played there - and before that we hadn't a fixture in it for fourteen years!

Also, it will be interesting to see who we get in the qualifiers... does it *have* to be a Munster side? We'd probably hope for Clare out of that group, if so.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on October 25, 2020, 10:39:43 AM
Agreed. Kavanagh will benefit greatly from that (half) game last night.

On another note it was great for the lads to be back in Croke Park, three Championship games out of the last four games played there - and before that we hadn't a fixture in it for fourteen years!

Also, it will be interesting to see who we get in the qualifiers... does it *have* to be a Munster side? We'd probably hope for Clare out of that group, if so.

Losers of Clare v lk
Losers of cork v Waterford

Losers of tipp v Clare/Lk

We will be facing

Probably in Thurles if its anyone other than Tipp

If our CB were anyway proactive,they should be looking for Portlaoise to host

Keyser Söze

Hard to disagree with any of the above.
We are probably trying to play a game that protects us from big set backs, without maybe having the exact shapes to fit certain holes. We don't have a ready made target man to hold ball up and wait for the cavalry, while being a threat in himself. It was easier to do this in OMP last year than for anyone to do it in CP last night.
I think maybe James Barry and Tipp weren't as sharp as they could have been in countering it second day out last year.

There were some positives, with some excellent scores from distance and quite a few "line breaks" with ball carried and worked through the lines.
In reality it was probably what most of us expected (and the players looked like that too). Maybe bar the second goal.

It's hard to see us living with any of the Munster teams. We have shipped some bad beatings in these kinda games. It's a pity our panel isn't as strong as it could be. Laois operating with 75% of the players involved that we want involved is very different to any of the other counties in the same situation.
I get the impression that we won't be seeing EB on the sideline next year, and I hope some thought has gone into potential replacements. Going back for a ride on the merry ground frightens me.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 25, 2020, 04:46:16 PM
Hard to disagree with any of the above.
We are probably trying to play a game that protects us from big set backs, without maybe having the exact shapes to fit certain holes. We don't have a ready made target man to hold ball up and wait for the cavalry, while being a threat in himself. It was easier to do this in OMP last year than for anyone to do it in CP last night.
I think maybe James Barry and Tipp weren't as sharp as they could have been in countering it second day out last year.

There were some positives, with some excellent scores from distance and quite a few "line breaks" with ball carried and worked through the lines.
In reality it was probably what most of us expected (and the players looked like that too). Maybe bar the second goal.

It's hard to see us living with any of the Munster teams. We have shipped some bad beatings in these kinda games. It's a pity our panel isn't as strong as it could be. Laois operating with 75% of the players involved that we want involved is very different to any of the other counties in the same situation.
I get the impression that we won't be seeing EB on the sideline next year, and I hope some thought has gone into potential replacements. Going back for a ride on the merry ground frightens me.

Eddie will be gone after this season

And no serious manager is going to consider a county where a significant minority won't commit

Laoisred

Laois were poor last night. Second best in every facet of the game. Absentees aside, their hurling was slower, skills not as crisp, behind on conditioning and to me they never really had a go, which is very un-laois like for this bunch. Defintely a case of two steps forward last year and a step back this year.

G@@

Kilkenny walloping Dublin 3-13 to 0-07 at half time.  :o

burdizzo

Keyser Söze

I don't think Dublin v Kilkenny reflects well on Laois no matter how you look at it.

Either playing Laois last week was such poor preparation for the step up to playing Kilkenny this week that it took 40 odd minutes to snap out of last weeks pedestrian pace

OR

Dublin are nowhere near Kilkenny (until they are so far ahead that they fall asleep).

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

First half Kk used P Walsh as the spare man and he cut out everything but Dublin didnt have time around the middle to deliver accurately. I think thats the crucial bit. We played with  sweeper but thought of him as a safety net and middle 8-10 stood off allowing dub to score from distance or play around the sweeper or fouled when they tackled.