Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on January 09, 2020, 11:19:57 PM
Looks like a deal has been brokered that could see Stormont back up and functioning by tomorrow. Seems to be plenty of financial support in the deal and if parties reject this I think they will have major questions to answer.

Bad day for Jamie Bryson. Irish Sea border approved in Westminster, Irish Language commissioner proposed as part of Stormont deal and Wolfe Tones number 1 in the UK charts!

It's like Jamie's worst nightmare!

Kidder81

I would say an Irish Language commissioner will have as much clout as I do, will be interesting to see how things go when they get back in, can they effectively govern. They have plenty to be getting on with

yellowcard

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 10, 2020, 07:45:38 AM
I would say an Irish Language commissioner will have as much clout as I do, will be interesting to see how things go when they get back in, can they effectively govern. They have plenty to be getting on with

They're not back in yet. Stephen Nolan has cut short his holiday to stoke things up enough and gives the fringes enough oxygen to help try and kill the deal.

Applesisapples

Quote from: yellowcard on January 10, 2020, 09:21:23 AM

They're not back in yet. Stephen Nolan has cut short his holiday to stoke things up enough and gives the fringes enough oxygen to help try and kill the deal.
Dondaldson making life difficult for SF. How can they sell this as anything other than bowing the knee to the DUP.

Kidder81

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2020, 09:32:04 AM

Dondaldson making life difficult for SF. How can they sell this as anything other than bowing the knee to the DUP.

Really ? Most commentators I have seen I've said SF have got the majority of what they wanted

Applesisapples

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 10, 2020, 10:14:24 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2020, 09:32:04 AM

Really ? Most commentators I have seen I've said SF have got the majority of what they wanted
Dondaldson on Nolan, nothing can be done on Irish language without agreement from First and First Minister...a veto... Oh and more promotion of British Culture, coz you know there is no expression of the currently!

Pub Bore

DUP c**k-a-hoop.  Irish Language Commissioner with as much power as a parish committee chair.  DUP veto.  PoC back virtually intact. SF eyes wiped again.  They'll sign up as there's an election coming in the South and they can't go in to that as wreckers of Stormont.  The whole shebang will come tumbling down again at some stage in the future.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: smelmoth on December 21, 2019, 10:56:21 AM
All ability classes are an alternative but there are other alternatives - ongoing streaming (i.e. comprehensive education) which can stream kids at different levels in different subjects according to their academic ability.

I don't have time right now for a detailed reply - but you are advocating the comprehensive system which has already been shown in multiple comparisons* across a long time scale to the 11+/grammar system to be delivering lower grades. If that is not "dogmatic wrongheadedness" I don't know what is.

*about as good a comparison as you will get.

As for what the postulation at the end was based on - nothing much beyond instinct and I suppose some limited knowledge of how the systems work (or don't work). You have kids sitting in school wasting their time (and sometimes everyone else's time) doing subjects for which they have neither the need or aptitude. That time could be better spent having them in areas of interest and usefulness.
i usse an speelchekor

RedHand88

Quote from: Pub Bore on January 10, 2020, 10:31:51 AM
DUP c**k-a-hoop.  Irish Language Commissioner with as much power as a parish committee chair.  DUP veto.  PoC back virtually intact. SF eyes wiped again.  They'll sign up as there's an election coming in the South and they can't go in to that as wreckers of Stormont.  The whole shebang will come tumbling down again at some stage in the future.

Brian feeney and Newton Emerson, two very respected political pundits disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

Applesisapples

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 10, 2020, 01:05:58 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on January 10, 2020, 10:31:51 AM

Brian feeney and Newton Emerson, two very respected political pundits disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

Newton I take with a pinch of salt, Brian I respect and broadly agree with most of his analysis, and he is right about Jeffery. my point was that Wee Jeff was making it hard for SF to sign up. If it turns out the DUP have changed or don't veto Irish interests then happy days. But history tells a different story. Irishness should be on par with Britishness but that still is not the case.

Kidder81

So the SF DUP carve up begins immediately, DUP will vote for Alex Maskey as speaker

seafoid

Arlene Foster nominates Diane Dodds for Minister of the Department of the Economy.

Anything available for NigelĂ­n?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kidder81

Department for Health the second last pick, says it all, the old firm didn't fancy it

Applesisapples

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 11, 2020, 03:58:15 PM
Department for Health the second last pick, says it all, the old firm didn't fancy it
SDLP for all their bleating avoided it like the plague. Also can't help but wonder why the Shinners had their feet held to the fire on Irish and the SDLP didn't.