Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017

Started by redsetanta, July 07, 2017, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtheroad

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 22, 2018, 01:36:47 AM
And the u21 still hasn't even started yet . Another farce
If I'm not mistaken, Laois GAA proposed to get rid of under 21 but they were outvoted by the county committee who wanted both under 19 and under 21. Personally I like the under 21 competitions but I don't think there is any room in the schedule for them anymore. For starters the modern adult hurling and football game is a young player's game.   

Laois fan

If only the gaa hadn't of messed around with what were perfect age grades,saying that plaois giving a walkover is alarming

Laoiseabu

The age grades should never of been changed . I don't see what changing them has solved. Portlaoise not fielding an under 19 team at the weekend is very worrying . You'd wonder is the pull of GAA wearing off young lads in Portlaoise ?

Jd

Just to look at the Portlaoise game v Courtwood/Emo how many of the Portlaoise team were on their clubs senior team or even intermediate I reckon 7 or 8 but I think most if not all  of  the Cw/E panel were involved with their first teams and were part of teams that were going well.  If you're not with Pl seniors  then you're second class with no real  effort being put into any other teams.  Would parkinson Kevin Fitz Adrian kelly make Emo or Cw team without  training.....  No but made Portlaoise  intermediate  team leaving  some young fellas on the line. Give them chaps a run and see how they get on.  Maybe you'll get a benefit from it

GAA-SMART

U 19 is absolutely idiotic. Its a nonsense competition of no relevence, even less relevence again when you ahve the finish of Senior Championships and everything else in between. Minor, U20 or U21 and then Adult and thats it. U19 is a joke. If it was any use Dublin would of been running it years ago

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Laois fan on October 22, 2018, 12:55:14 PM
If only the gaa hadn't of messed around with what were perfect age grades,saying that plaois giving a walkover is alarming

This all started with a Laois President! Changing the age to qualify for adult competition from 16 to 17 led to all of this. Silly, shortsighted & look where it has left us! We had an ideal set up & changed for optics!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

BallyroanAbu

What is wrong with U17 ? It's the same competition albeit a year younger.  It takes the vast majority of leaving cert students away from a competitive years football.  The U19 was in theory going to be used to pick county U20 panel so logic was ok.  The fault lies with clubs, we will see what Portlaoise turn up with on Monday for our game but we are ready to go.  I personally think the battle with numbers is being lost far younger in this county.  We have to get back to winning over the 14-16 year olds to playing GAA.  They are being pulled every way and being showed unrealistic promises with soccer and rugby.  It's ridiculous the chances of playing professionally are well flagged by 13/14 but yet we have parents believing this nonsense.  Your chances of playing County Football and Hurling are a lot greater than other sports and can be leveraged to your professional advantage aka Ciaran Lillis or Joe Canning.  Our problem is not age grades it's player numbers.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 26, 2018, 10:20:50 AM
What is wrong with U17 ? It's the same competition albeit a year younger.  It takes the vast majority of leaving cert students away from a competitive years football.  The U19 was in theory going to be used to pick county U20 panel so logic was ok.  The fault lies with clubs, we will see what Portlaoise turn up with on Monday for our game but we are ready to go.  I personally think the battle with numbers is being lost far younger in this county.  We have to get back to winning over the 14-16 year olds to playing GAA.  They are being pulled every way and being showed unrealistic promises with soccer and rugby.  It's ridiculous the chances of playing professionally are well flagged by 13/14 but yet we have parents believing this nonsense.  Your chances of playing County Football and Hurling are a lot greater than other sports and can be leveraged to your professional advantage aka Ciaran Lillis or Joe Canning.  Our problem is not age grades it's player numbers.

Have you lost many players completely to soccer/rugby,say in the past 5 years?

portlaoisekid

Great post . Its a very serious problem and lads may laugh but parents ( especially those from a non traditional GAA background) do not want their kids playing GAA when they see the violence at GAA matches. Rugby/Soccer/basketball is seen as as more protective and safer game for kids. I see it hugely in my own town and no doubt its permeated into every club.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: clonadmad on October 26, 2018, 10:28:47 AM

Have you lost many players completely to soccer/rugby,say in the past 5 years?

Yes and they tend to be good ones, not many but we are rural so our retention is high, but we all know Portarlington, Portlaoise and Graigue are struggling. 

Can I also mention XBoxes and PlayStation as genuinely being a real problem, parents are time poor but they need to realize that we have to have balance in life and sport plays it's part.

Keyser Söze

The problem with the changes to age grades is that what we had was functioning perfectly well;

12/14/16/18/21.
You easily substitute 20 for 21 if it was felt beneficial.

The change from 16-17 to play adult led to a change to odd years.
Last year we had u17 & u18 competitions. This year we have u19 & u21 when they don't fit in.
Some counties are play u13/15/17 competitions while others are playing u14/16/18. Challenge matches/tournaments can be impossible.

There has been no obvious benefit to this change at all and it has been very disruptive to our GAA calendar over the last few years.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

GAA-SMART

Who are over the development squads next year?

SCFC

Quote from: The PRO on September 26, 2018, 05:56:12 PM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on September 18, 2018, 01:15:03 PM
Has there even been talk since of setting up a new club in Portlaoise?
There's a commitment in the plan to have something done on this by the end of 2018.
It's to be a juvenile club only.
Think there is something along the lines proposed in Ennis in Clare (not 100%). Would be interesting to know how that is working.
Could a second adult club evolve in the town in maybe 10 years time? It's possible but I wouldn't have any great confidence in it happening. Confey in Leixlip is a good example of how it could work. I think they might be only less than 30 years old and they've won a couple of intermediate football championships and three senior hurling championships.
Anything at all on this since? I know Peter Hally is working in the Portlaoise schools but the numbers are just huge.

clonadmad

Pat Critchely is running a schools parish league also at the minute

That man badly needs to be cloned

SCFC

Looks like most of the Gaels teams are history. Going by the review that was emailed out to the club's yesterday anyway.
Crettyard, Ballyfin in senior football should be ok but all the senior b and inter mediate ones may not be allowed if the proposals go through.