The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: Gael85 on May 09, 2022, 01:35:04 PM
Before the Donegal/Cavan game. Marty Morrissey said he never seen Paddy Lynch play before. Spillane said watched Cavan 3 times(one when his son was playing). Surely he should be looking at the other 7 games they played to get a take on Cavan tactics.

He said it in a way that he was proud of the fact he'd never watched him. Marty is a bluffer same as most of them. In fairness to RTE they have the best commentary duo in Maloney & Fitzmaurice. They should be given every big game between now and the end of the season but I doubt it. But in terms of pre, HT and post match BBC and Sky are absolutely light years ahead of RTE.

snoopdog

Quote from: square_ball on May 09, 2022, 01:58:58 PM
Before the Donegal/Cavan game. Marty Morrissey said he never seen Paddy Lynch play before. Spillane said watched Cavan 3 times(one when his son was playing). Surely he should be looking at the other 7 games they played to get a take on Cavan tactics.

He said it in a way that he was proud of the fact he'd never watched him. Marty is a bluffer same as most of them. In fairness to RTE they have the best commentary duo in Maloney & Fitzmaurice. They should be given every big game between now and the end of the season but I doubt it. But in terms of pre, HT and post match BBC and Sky are absolutely light years ahead of RTE.
Maloney is very good. While Eamon knows his stuff his voice he could put you to sleep. If a game is on bbc I will watch it over rte. Thomas Niblock is very good.  Bbc miles ahead. Sky have upped their game.much better than what they started out with. The rugby lad seems to be gone and the current presenter seems to know about the game unlike the one they started with.  Tg4 deserves  a mention just for their overall coverage and highlights programmes. Much better than rte.

full moon

Sky presenter is Grainne McElwain from Monaghan, she's very good and improvement on the previous presenters on Sky.

Gael85

Agree on Maloney/Fitzmaurice. Fitz gave a good insight to Galway/Mayo game and very knowledgeable about the players backgrounds.

Gael85

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 02:24:18 PM
Sky presenter is Grainne McElwain from Monaghan, she's very good and improvement on the previous presenters on Sky.

Does she commentate on TG4 too? Excellent presenter, way ahead of Cantwell.

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: Gael85 on May 09, 2022, 02:24:26 PM

Agree on Maloney/Fitzmaurice. Fitz gave a good insight to Galway/Mayo game and very knowledgeable about the players backgrounds.

And then Pat talked about Forest Gump, the girl from the fairytale to who when she was good she was very very good and then proceeded to name the wrong Galway goalscorer.
Like the whole production is being let down by that stuff.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

It's been like that for years. Analysis in so many other sports is great - and even the hurling analysis if pretty good - but it's like some of these ones are untouchable national treasures or something.

marty34

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2022, 12:30:03 PM
Exactly. Like if a cameraman was all over the shop and doing a terrible job they would be pulled up and get the road. Why, after all the money spent, do they allow awful standards on the mic and in front of the camera.

Just feckin poach some lads doing podcasts. The likes of Cian Ward has a good head on him and actually sticks to his guns.

Ok Cian.  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2022, 02:29:49 PM
It's been like that for years. Analysis in so many other sports is great - and even the hurling analysis if pretty good - but it's like some of these ones are untouchable national treasures or something.

Got back from the game yesterday had the games recorded and watched them without the crap analysis, I can judge the game myself. fast forwarding through the shite is the way to go, though you need to turn off your phone  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 01:04:55 PM
What ever happened to Eamonn O'Hara? He used to do bits for RTE. Ciaran Whelan is being pushed out a bit too, ironically he can actually be decent when Dublin are not involved because unlike the rest the does some homework. I've listen to him on RTE GAA podcast and he isn't the worst.

It's totally changed since Brolly was removed and the Monaghan man took over. I think RTE are so afraid of being sued now they don't want their pundits to offer anything but the safest bland opinion and statements.

I think O'Hara is still on RTÉ radio covering games.

Gael85

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2022, 02:29:49 PM

Hurling analysists have come and gone. Spillane & O'Rourke there too long. Spillane retired with kerry in 91, O'Rourke retired in 95 and both went straight into punditry and both have columns with sunday papers.

johnnycool

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2022, 11:14:12 AM

Then McStay just kept saying Division 4 v Division 1 and harping back to Cavan 2020. And 'the sub' scored the Donegal goal. FFS you are being paid and there is a programme in front of you.

and Marty saying that the lad "pulled on it", must have forgotten himself.

;D

marty34

I wouldn't be too worried about the discussions etc.

Just take it as it comes - don't take it too seriously.

Just watch the game yourself, analyse it yourself and take it from there.

Put it like this, if it was the only game on tv, I'm not switching it over or turning it off because of the commentary/analysis.

full moon

Quote from: Gael85 on May 09, 2022, 02:25:29 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 02:24:18 PM

Does she commentate on TG4 too? Excellent presenter, way ahead of Cantwell.

I'm not sure don't know much of TG4 team but she is an Irish speaker apparently so may do.

full moon

Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2022, 02:43:25 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 01:04:55 PM
What ever happened to Eamonn O'Hara? He used to do bits for RTE. Ciaran Whelan is being pushed out a bit too, ironically he can actually be decent when Dublin are not involved because unlike the rest the does some homework. I've listen to him on RTE GAA podcast and he isn't the worst.

It's totally changed since Brolly was removed and the Monaghan man took over. I think RTE are so afraid of being sued now they don't want their pundits to offer anything but the safest bland opinion and statements.

I think O'Hara is still on RTÉ radio covering games.

Interesting I would rarely have games on from radio, I noticed he was on Off the Ball recently.