Quote from: gander on August 22, 2019, 09:18:17 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on August 22, 2019, 08:23:58 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 22, 2019, 02:44:42 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2019, 11:22:31 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on August 18, 2019, 11:21:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2019, 11:05:29 PM
When they see us... brutal

Excellent show, surreal story.

Oprah Winfrey did an hour long show with the cast and the fellas themselves afterwards. All still very raw for one of them in particular, heartbreaking. It's on Netflix too

I honestly cried in each episode! You leave it very angry
Why the histrionics? the accused were found guilty in a court of law by a jury, based on the evidence presented in court.

What evidence?

There was no evidence, cause they didnt do it
Now you know they didn't do it, but at the time what were your thoughts or what would have beeen your thinking? Black kids on a late night violent rampage through central park, you can almost picture what happens next.
The evidence  -  confessions of the accused and a prosecutory narrative, no matter how ridiculous or dubious the confesssions were, they carried weight in the court, in a played upon existing atmosphere of racial prejudice.
At the time in the eyes of the public, they were guilty and the judgement was upheld, either they did it or they were there. Truth was not a part of that equation.
So much for the value of the statements "they were found guilty in a court of law"  or in other contexts "not found guilty in a court of law"

This 4 part drama was biased from the outset and primed for extracting emotional outrage from the viewer. They played down the very violent attack against that cyclist and another jogger, charges which the acused were not exonerated from in the 2002 review. 
The Ken Burns's 2 hour documentary, The Central Park Five, offers an exception account of the injustice, the new York racial context and the how it was possible to get that verdict.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on August 29, 2019, 11:21:57 PM
Quote from: gander on August 22, 2019, 09:18:17 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on August 22, 2019, 08:23:58 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 22, 2019, 02:44:42 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2019, 11:22:31 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on August 18, 2019, 11:21:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2019, 11:05:29 PM
When they see us... brutal

Excellent show, surreal story.

Oprah Winfrey did an hour long show with the cast and the fellas themselves afterwards. All still very raw for one of them in particular, heartbreaking. It's on Netflix too

I honestly cried in each episode! You leave it very angry
Why the histrionics? the accused were found guilty in a court of law by a jury, based on the evidence presented in court.

What evidence?

There was no evidence, cause they didnt do it
Now you know they didn't do it, but at the time what were your thoughts or what would have beeen your thinking? Black kids on a late night violent rampage through central park, you can almost picture what happens next.
The evidence  -  confessions of the accused and a prosecutory narrative, no matter how ridiculous or dubious the confesssions were, they carried weight in the court, in a played upon existing atmosphere of racial prejudice.
At the time in the eyes of the public, they were guilty and the judgement was upheld, either they did it or they were there. Truth was not a part of that equation.
So much for the value of the statements "they were found guilty in a court of law"  or in other contexts "not found guilty in a court of law"

This 4 part drama was biased from the outset and primed for extracting emotional outrage from the viewer. They played down the very violent attack against that cyclist and another jogger, charges which the acused were not exonerated from in the 2002 review. 
The Ken Burns's 2 hour documentary, The Central Park Five, offers an exception account of the injustice, the new York racial context and the how it was possible to get that verdict.

So at the time did they have physical evidence? Some of the lads were 15, Out of the amount of lads they picked up they were always going to get a confession or two. In this case they managed to extract five confessions. You'll be telling me you believe the Birmingham six were guilty, you tosser
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Brassic on Sky One - surprisingly enough was very good, some funny easy viewing, last episode was a but meh tho. Same writer as Shameless apparently, wasn't a huge fan of it.

Dinny Breen

The Boys on Amazon. Really good show, Karl Urban is great but his NZ meets Cockney mash up of an accent can't be by design.
#newbridgeornowhere

nrico2006

Peaky Blinders still going for style over substance. Wouldn't be much left if they cut out all the slow motion walking scenes.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 01, 2019, 10:30:58 AM
Peaky Blinders still going for style over substance. Wouldn't be much left if they cut out all the slow motion walking scenes.

Very true. It's away to the dogs. Thinking I'm going to pack it in.

Working Moms on Netflix is a good easy watch type show.

tbrick18

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 01, 2019, 09:50:45 AM
The Boys on Amazon. Really good show, Karl Urban is great but his NZ meets Cockney mash up of an accent can't be by design.

+1 really good show.

Peaky Blinders has lost the run of itself a bit I think.
As already mentioned, style over substance so far. I'll stick with it, but so far this season is not the best.
Started watching Carnival Row last night. First episode not bad.

screenexile

Thought that myself. You have one of the best actors in the business as the main man yet you spend most of the time having him walk around in slow motion to some gothy music. . . what a waste!!

Main Street

I'm now a dedicated Our Boys buff since the Israeli prime minister denounced it from his pulpit.

What these rigteous morons don't get is that a denouncement is a priceless plug. If that prck doesn't like it,  it must be good.

Esmarelda

Quote from: screenexile on September 03, 2019, 11:33:49 AM

Thought that myself. You have one of the best actors in the business as the main man yet you spend most of the time having him walk around in slow motion to some gothy music. . . what a waste!!
I've thought this from the beginning and I don't think Murphy (if that's who you mean) is anywhere near the best in the business. If anything, hi co-stars show him up as being second rate. The guy who plays Arthur along with Hardy have performed much better in my opinion.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 07, 2019, 11:09:35 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 03, 2019, 11:33:49 AM

I've thought this from the beginning and I don't think Murphy (if that's who you mean) is anywhere near the best in the business. If anything, hi co-stars show him up as being second rate. The guy who plays Arthur along with Hardy have performed much better in my opinion.

Tom Hardy was superb as Alfie Solomans. I found him the most intimidating character in the show. Him and Helen McCrory as Polly are miles better than the rest.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BennyCake

Been catching up with Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing.

Very funny. Getting better and better. Great half hours viewing.

screenexile

Good episode of Peaky Blinders last night I thought. . . not sure what you lads are on about Cillian Murphy was excellent and the lad who plays Arthur over acts something shocking. Young Gleeson's Scottish accent is horrific the only one who could do it worse would be Gillen!!!

Anyone watched Temple yet? Heard good reviews and quite enjoyed the first episode.

Ballers is getting annoying now.

Has anyone watched State of the Union?? It looks to be getting good reviews think it's next up on the list. . . also Brassic??

Taylor

Quote from: screenexile on September 16, 2019, 03:46:25 PM
Good episode of Peaky Blinders last night I thought. . . not sure what you lads are on about Cillian Murphy was excellent and the lad who plays Arthur over acts something shocking. Young Gleeson's Scottish accent is horrific the only one who could do it worse would be Gillen!!!

Anyone watched Temple yet? Heard good reviews and quite enjoyed the first episode.

Has anyone watched State of the Union?? It looks to be getting good reviews think it's next up on the list. . . also Brassic??

Brassic is easy viewing - good to pass a couple of hours and M Keegan looks the part

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on September 16, 2019, 03:46:25 PM

I didn't think Gleesons accent was that bad, added to me hating the character actually. 

This is ballers last season, still enjoy it though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'