Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2008, 06:48:15 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on December 30, 2008, 05:34:45 PM
What do you base this on?!?!?

"Wasn't impressed, it didn't look very exciting, not a lot looked to be happening??"

Touche!!

nrico2006

Watched 'Hunger' at the weekend and apart from the scene between the Priest and BS it was pretty average.

Also watched 'There will be Blood'.  It was a good show but the story was a bit haphazard.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Donagh

Watched the first part of the new 'Che' movie recently. Soderbergh gives a masterclass in movie making with Benicio Del Toro's understated portrayal of Guevara very compelling. The two combine to produce as good a film as you'll watch all year. If it were any other subject matter the Oscars would be raining down on it, but I suspect not.

stevo-08

Watched The Kite Runner recently. Very good film. Although as usual, I suspect the book is even better.

the milkman

Quote from: Donagh on January 05, 2009, 12:06:05 PM
Watched the first part of the new 'Che' movie recently. Soderbergh gives a masterclass in movie making with Benicio Del Toro's understated portrayal of Guevara very compelling. The two combine to produce as good a film as you'll watch all year. If it were any other subject matter the Oscars would be raining down on it, but I suspect not.

Yeah i watched it on saturday, great film! Del Toro was excellent in it.

under the bar

Did anyone watch The Garage starring Pat Short over the holidays?  Failry light-hearted until the ending which made you sit up an take notice!

liihb

Quote from: under the bar on January 05, 2009, 01:09:03 PM
Did anyone watch The Garage starring Pat Short over the holidays?  Failry light-hearted until the ending which made you sit up an take notice!
Yeah I did, thought it was very good. Breffni was some w**ker!
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donagh on January 05, 2009, 12:06:05 PM
Would like to see this. Didn't even realise it was out until I read a review in one of the Sunday papers. The review said it was okay but got a bit bogged down in the minutiae of guerilla warfare which obviously wasn't to the reviewers liking! Soderbergh can be a bit style over substance sometimes.

Main Street

Agreed about the Che part 1. Superb film, more like a docudrama.
Based on Che's reminiscences and accurate dramatisations of his story as he wrote it.
So accurate as to some scenes are replicates of the surviving footage and photographs.
5 cigars.

T O Hare

did anyone see Austrailia yet??
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Niall Quinn

I really enjoyed The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Although I've great respect for F Scott Fitzgerald, to base a film on a seemingly one-feature short story struck me as flawed premise - not so.

I'm normally a fan of Roger Ebert's reviews, but would take issue with this extract from his review of the movie:

"The movie's premise devalues any relationship, makes futile any friendship or romance, and spits, not into the face of destiny, but backward into the maw of time."
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081223/REVIEWS/812239995/1023

I thought the significance of relationships in the movie was in fact exemplified by the enhanced transcience aspect, rather than devalued. Indeed I got to wondering how Ebert's observation would sit with the terminally ill? Would he contend that friendships and romance in some way devalued by differing life expectancy profiles?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

nrico2006

Australia is a good show, the wee fella in it was brilliant and although it becomes a bit predictable it is very enjoyable.  I have been looking forward to Benjamin Button for a year now. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Iceman

watched tropic thunder last night - very over rated - only some minor funny parts - felt insulted at times watching it
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rav67

Watched Somers Town- another Shane Meadows film, only just over 1 hr long and a simple plot but its very well-made and some funny bits in it.

pintsofguinness

Watched that Frost-Nixon film the other night, really good!

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?