Conor Gormley retires

Started by give her dixie, January 01, 2015, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Conor Gormley has become the latest Tyrone legend to bow out of inter-county football having confirmed his retirement to manager Mickey Harte.

Gormley was part of Tyrone's first All-Ireland winning side of 2003 and won further titles in '05 and '08.

He follows Stephen and O'Neill and Martin Penrose in bowing out after the attacking duo made their intentions known to quit in November.

Gormley, 34, carved out a career as a no-nonsense defender and was regularly Harte's go-to guy in terms of man-marking jobs on the opposition's blue chip forwards.

He will probably be best remembered for what was effectively a match-winning block on Armagh's Stephen McDonnell in the 2003 All-Ireland final.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/conor-gormley-retires-tyrone-inter-county-4902771
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Max Payne

Quote from: give her dixie on January 01, 2015, 01:20:14 PM
Conor Gormley has become the latest Tyrone legend to bow out of inter-county football having confirmed his retirement to manager Mickey Harte.

Gormley was part of Tyrone's first All-Ireland winning side of 2003 and won further titles in '05 and '08.

He follows Stephen and O'Neill and Martin Penrose in bowing out after the attacking duo made their intentions known to quit in November.

Gormley, 34, carved out a career as a no-nonsense defender and was regularly Harte's go-to guy in terms of man-marking jobs on the opposition's blue chip forwards.

He will probably be best remembered for what was effectively a match-winning block on Armagh's Stephen McDonnell in the 2003 All-Ireland final.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/conor-gormley-retires-tyrone-inter-county-4902771

The main man for Mickey in so many ways for this past ten years. The spiritual leader of those Tyrone teams. In my opinion a bigger loss than Stevy O'Neill largely due to the fact that Tyrone now haven't a defender capable of shutting down the oppositions main man.

Club Rossa

A serious operator,one of Tyrone's greatest ever defenders,a leader and a real rock.
Was a hugely popular figure with opposition supporters ;)

LCohen

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 01, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
A serious operator,one of Tyrone's greatest ever defenders,a leader and a real rock.
Was a hugely popular figure with opposition supporters ;)

penrose and C Gormley retiring from inter-county and Enda Gormley in as the new manager - could be the start of something for the Carmen lads?

Club Rossa

Yeah,Carrickmore will be happy to have both of them on board.

skeog

orangeman

Was hated by forwards. Was one of Tyrone's most influential and dependable players for an extended period of time.

Best of luck to him. He owes Tyrone nothing.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

A very good defender at his best..but he was a passenger for a couple of years now in fairness.
Some of his "antics" will not be any loss either though. Loved to drop the knee on prone opponents and the like. There's a photo of him taken a few seconds after the final whistle went in one of Tyrone's All Ireland victories in which he is roaring into a defeated opponent's face, which doesn't say a lot for his character.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

illdecide

He was a good defender and a hardy hoor too but tbh his legs had gone and prob should have packed county football in last year. Def one of Tyrone's best defenders and will be a big miss even having him around for training and keeping the younger lads on their toes.
The way this is going majority of inter county players now realise that they need to give their clubs a good couple of years before they hang them up so they make the call...Can go with his head held high and owes Tyrone nowt...

Good luck Conor...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tiempo

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 01, 2015, 10:10:38 PM
A very good defender at his best..but he was a passenger for a couple of years now in fairness.
Some of his "antics" will not be any loss either though. Loved to drop the knee on prone opponents and the like. There's a photo of him taken a few seconds after the final whistle went in one of Tyrone's All Ireland victories in which he is roaring into a defeated opponent's face, which doesn't say a lot for his character.

prove it

INDIANA

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 01, 2015, 10:10:38 PM

Have to admire his winning record and longevity. Nobody can take that from him.

But I won't miss him - I thought some of his antics were beyond the pale.

BennyHarp

Class player who was immensely influential for Tyrone both as a footballer and as a player who set the tone for the rest to follow.  A pure defender who could play anywhere from 2 to 7 and could do it all as a defender at his peak, shut out an opposition attacker, attack from deep, tactically aware to play the sweeper, play the enforcer, tough as nails and fearless in the tackle. His block in 03 made him immortal in Tyrone and he will be impossible to replace. Thanks for the memories Conor, in my view one of best defenders to come out of Ulster.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Probably  the best defender to come out of ulster and as good in my eyes and with the same impact as the great leinster battler Martin o Connell. I credit Gormley with enabling the Tyrone revolution.  I recall him getting a game with the county in parnell park when he was 19. The dubs kicked him up and down the field...He probably recalls that for the dubs.  As sound a bloke as you will meet after the match...contributed the finest block captured on camera in an aif

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on January 01, 2015, 10:55:16 PM
Probably  the best defender to come out of ulster and as good in my eyes as the great Martin o Connell. I credit Gormley with enabling the Tyrone revolution.  I recall him getting a game with the county in parnell park when he was 19. The dubs kicked him up and down the field...He probably recalls that for the dubs.  As sound a bloke as you will meet after the match...

Well not's bring the Dubs up. Conor had plenty of form there.

rrhf

He got some introduction.  At that time the dubs were bullying a lot of teams.