You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 16, 2007, 09:33:27 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 16, 2007, 09:22:34 PM
BT's helpline. Spent 20mins chatting to a woman in India called "Mary". All she kept saying was 'hello!'

ARGH!

Maybe she couldn't understand the Tyrone accent   :P

Prehaps.

The previous one asked for my telephone number. The last digit is 9 and he couldn't understand me, so I said 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9. I was then informed that 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 isn't a real number!
Testing Accessibility

Tyrones own

Quote from: ziggysego on September 16, 2007, 09:35:37 PM
BT's helpline. Spent 20mins chatting to a woman in India called "Mary". All she kept saying was 'hello!'

ARGH!

Prehaps.

The previous one asked for my telephone number. The last digit is 9 and he couldn't understand me, so I said 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9. I was then informed that 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 isn't a real number!

Speaking of the Tyrone Accent, some of you that live over here may attest to this,
The number f**king 8 why is it so hard to understand this number???
Like Ziggy i have in a few occasions out of sheer frustration on the phone said to the person:
"now we're talking about a number, right? Yes sir, Now does 8 sound like 1, no,
Does 8 sound like 2", no, and so on till we get to 8 and lo and behold and who'd a thunk it
but 8 does actually sound like f**king 8  AAARRGGHHH
The kicker is that my Home phone # has two of the bastards...... i need to change it ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 16, 2007, 11:23:25 PM

ARGH!

Prehaps.

Speaking of the Tyrone Accent, some of you that live over here may attest to this,
Like Ziggy i have in a few occasions out of sheer frustration on the phone said to the person:
Does 8 sound like 2", no, and so on till we get to 8 and lo and behold and who'd a thunk it
The kicker is that my Home phone # has two of the bastards...... i need to change it ::)

I be over and back to England a bit and the amount of English people (I'm sure it'd be the same with any nationality) that will not even try to understand your accent and what you are saying is unreal!!!
They will hardly wait until you're finished speaking before they say "what"! And you have to repeat the same thing about three times before they can pick it up!! FFS, we are speaking the same language! 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrones own

Oh and another one, what about trying to order Ham at a deli counter.
  I wasn't long here and was at the counter in a fairly big super market,
asked the woman for a half a pound of ham and as you say Pints, she didn't even
try to comprehend, i just wasn't saying it the way she wanted to hear it,
needless to say i wouldn't give in and at this stage 6 or 7 people had got into line behind me,
eventually the man behind me had to tell her what it was i wanted.
Stood off to the side and demanded the Manager who in turn tore her a new one in front of all of us ;D
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

ARGH!

Prehaps.

I thought that was just an irish thing. Over here all of us irish have trouble getting americans to understand 8. its a f**king nightmare, its in my phone number, and its in my address. I hope its not just cos im from tyrone.

Tyrones own

Can't speak for any other accent Puckoon, i only have my own ;)
  - Walter Lippmann

Gnevin

60kph speed limit on the m50
50kph speed limit on the m 50
30kph speed limit in town
Garda who cant drive properly
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Pity pointless trip to Dublin for the Rebels yesterday.

The 2007 All-Ireland championship really grinds my gears.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

maddog

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 16, 2007, 11:31:06 PM

ARGH!

Prehaps.

I be over and back to England a bit and the amount of English people (I'm sure it'd be the same with any nationality) that will not even try to understand your accent and what you are saying is unreal!!!
They will hardly wait until you're finished speaking before they say "what"! And you have to repeat the same thing about three times before they can pick it up!! FFS, we are speaking the same language! 

Thats why most of them are thick bastards. Incapable of listening. In my job i speak to Dutch, Belgians, Germans, Scandanvians etc every day, and i have never been misunderstood by them or had to ask them to repeat anything. Yet any of the local lads get a call from our European offices they complain they cant understand them.
Even had the manager of our Liverpool office request to speak to someone else other than me because she cant understand my "funny" accent. If she knew what irony was it would be lost on her.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThats why most of them are thick bastards. Incapable of listening. In my job i speak to Dutch, Belgians, Germans, Scandanvians etc every day, and i have never been misunderstood by them or had to ask them to repeat anything. Yet any of the local lads get a call from our European offices they complain they cant understand them.
Even had the manager of our Liverpool office request to speak to someone else other than me because she cant understand my "funny" accent. If she knew what irony was it would be lost on her.
The best was couple of months ago, in a bar in London (they're the worst) my woman went to order food and only had about 4 words out of her mouth when she was asked if she spoke english!  :D  :D  :D

and there's this one I'd have to speak to regular and I swear to God! every single thing I say she says "sorry" - EVERY SINGLE THING!
she's not even embarrassed about this! "sorry" aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

longball

Micro Noodles- from the Pot Noodle Snack Company- id had 2 in recent weeks, please dont comment on my diet  :-[- well ive filled the water to the recommended point and put it in the microwave for 3 mintues as detailed out in the instructions, both times it has boiled the water over the top of the pot and ive had to spend precious moments of my lunch time cleaning the damn microwave- can i sue??
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Hoof Hearted

Opening an account and not hiding your e mail address !! Any ideas how to change this ? Cant be too controversial yet.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hurler on the Bitch

My wife going out with her friends on a Saturday night and not coming home till lunchtime on Sunday - and still DRUNK! When I ask where's she's been, I'm told: "A party" - whatever that means? Then she clears off to bed for the rest of the day and I catch her on the phone later that night giggling and laughing to her new friend - Gerry (short for Geraldine apparently) ... Now she tells me she is working late tonight (never gets overtime) and has to go to Dublin on Saturday week for a "conference". That really grinds my gears.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on September 17, 2007, 01:28:45 PM
My wife going out with her friends on a Saturday night and not coming home till lunchtime on Sunday - and still DRUNK! When I ask where's she's been, I'm told: "A party" - whatever that means? Then she clears off to bed for the rest of the day and I catch her on the phone later that night giggling and laughing to her new friend - Gerry (short for Geraldine apparently) ... Now she tells me she is working late tonight (never gets overtime) and has to go to Dublin on Saturday week for a "conference". That really grinds my gears.

gullible people
Testing Accessibility

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: ziggysego on September 17, 2007, 01:32:59 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on September 17, 2007, 01:28:45 PM

gullible people

Think its a wind up story.

I hate oul Dolls who skip the Q in the supermarket for the Deli counter, stand around the middle gawking and then pop up for 'Who next'.   >:(