Laois Intermediate Hurling Championship

Started by The boardman, July 09, 2024, 04:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The boardman

With the Intermediate hurling championship commencing next week and change in structures for 2025 meaning both finalists will be promoted and there being no relegation what are your thoughts on the chances of the teams competing in it this year.
Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you never get it wrong

burdizzo

Promoting two will obviously greatly weaken the Intermediate championship. I would say for the losing finalist, getting promoted would be a bit of a downer.
As ever, a lot will depend on how many The Harps or Abbeyleix lose to their first team, but I can't see either getting to the final. Trumera have probably slipped a little, but PRT will almost certainly be whipping boys in that group.
On the other side, Mountrath and Mountmellick both beat Clonad in league finals recently - Mountrath probably flattered by the scoreline, and Mountmellick less so, even if they needed a late goal. Clonad have a stronger panel this year, and ought to improve. However, I'd imagine Slieve Bloom will be better than any of them, and win the whole thing out, maybe beating Mountmellick in the final.

The boardman

Quote from: burdizzo on July 09, 2024, 06:09:51 PMPromoting two will obviously greatly weaken the Intermediate championship. I would say for the losing finalist, getting promoted would be a bit of a downer.
As ever, a lot will depend on how many The Harps or Abbeyleix lose to their first team, but I can't see either getting to the final. Trumera have probably slipped a little, but PRT will almost certainly be whipping boys in that group.
On the other side, Mountrath and Mountmellick both beat Clonad in league finals recently - Mountrath probably flattered by the scoreline, and Mountmellick less so, even if they needed a late goal. Clonad have a stronger panel this year, and ought to improve. However, I'd imagine Slieve Bloom will be better than any of them, and win the whole thing out, maybe beating Mountmellick in the final.

Yes i would have to very much agree with that analysis of it, Slieve bloom will be hungry to return to Premier Intermediate and in the past few years Mountmellick haven't been too far away from it and with the youth coming into the team along with the addition of a few players from port they might be able to make it this year nevertheless still can't underestimate some of the other teams.

burdizzo

Mountmellick have a decent blend, all right, but they don't seem to have got too many from Port. - Finn Lyons being the only one? I believe the county minor from last year is doing very little hurling - but maybe you are better informed than I.

The boardman

Quote from: burdizzo on July 10, 2024, 07:49:21 AMMountmellick have a decent blend, all right, but they don't seem to have got too many from Port. - Finn Lyons being the only one? I believe the county minor from last year is doing very little hurling - but maybe you are better informed than I.

There is theoretically 7 port players Finn lyons probably being the only one thats close to being on the Intermediate team with the rest probably more concentrated on football, they probably would still be of help to Mountmellick in trying to get their second team back up to Junior B