Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on October 15, 2018, 10:36:46 AM
Quote from: GJL on October 15, 2018, 10:16:29 AM
Quote from: tyrone girl on October 15, 2018, 10:07:21 AM
Mine goes to 45 miles then stops showing it but at that stage the dial on the tank is showing at the very very end i.e. that it wont do any more.

On that note is 130 miles for 20 quid of diesel a crap return? Should i be getting more than that.

@ £1.35 per litre this works out at about 39.5mpg. It is not brilliant but not too bad. What type of car is it?

Vauxhall Astra 2.0 auto

Diesel? what year is it and what size of engine?

It sounds like it is not far away. Auto does not help fuel consumption.

tyrone girl

2013 it is and 2 litre engine.

20/25 quid a week done me in my old 2004 car. This one is easily costing me £50

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on October 15, 2018, 12:59:39 PM
2013 it is and 2 litre engine.

20/25 quid a week done me in my old 2004 car. This one is easily costing me £50

As I said auto is a bit worse plus you are now getting less fuel for your £20.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: tyrone girl on October 15, 2018, 10:36:46 AM
Quote from: GJL on October 15, 2018, 10:16:29 AM
Quote from: tyrone girl on October 15, 2018, 10:07:21 AM
Mine goes to 45 miles then stops showing it but at that stage the dial on the tank is showing at the very very end i.e. that it wont do any more.

On that note is 130 miles for 20 quid of diesel a crap return? Should i be getting more than that.

@ £1.35 per litre this works out at about 39.5mpg. It is not brilliant but not too bad. What type of car is it?

Vauxhall Astra 2.0 auto

Told you at the time to buy the Golf.

I am averaging 48 mpg over all types of driving and the over speed being less than 35 mph over serval thousand miles. Has been as high as 51 mpg over almost 2,000 miles and an average speed of 37 mph.  The car is a 2L TDI Golf - 148 bhp with 6 speed auto gearbox.

Mhic Easmuint

Audi A4 2007
ESP Light has come on solid, Glow Plug light flashing. Brake lights on solid.

Bit of googling seems like it could be a brake light switch problem.
Does this sound right and could it be a DIY job?

GJL

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on October 23, 2018, 02:49:51 PM
Audi A4 2007

Yep definitely sounds like switch. It is buried up behind the pedal. Can be awkward enough to get at but if you are handy you should be able to do it. Disconnect the plug and turn it 90 degrees and it should come out.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: GJL on October 23, 2018, 02:53:01 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on October 23, 2018, 02:49:51 PM
Audi A4 2007

Yep definitely sounds like switch. It is buried up behind the pedal. Can be awkward enough to get at but if you are handy you should be able to do it. Disconnect the plug and turn it 90 degrees and it should come out.

Thanks - will give it a lash.

JoG2

Wee question re used car warranty rules and regulations: If you are getting a part replaced / or even an engine replaced under warranty, should the parts be new? Or, can the car dealership provide a used / worn parts ? Surely the parts or even a new engine has to be new, no?

Jim Bob

Car hasn't been driven for a while and when finally taken onto the road there's a slight chugging though definitely would be noticed by any would be buyer.
Would that be as a result of the diesel lying in the car for a few months and if so will it eventually go away with the remaining diesel if I drive it or do I have to drive the current diesel out if it?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 13, 2018, 04:59:46 PM
Car hasn't been driven for a while and when finally taken onto the road there's a slight chugging though definitely would be noticed by any would be buyer.
Would that be as a result of the diesel lying in the car for a few months and if so will it eventually go away with the remaining diesel if I drive it or do I have to drive the current diesel out if it?

There is a product called Dipetaine, its a fuel treatment, buy a bottle of it and throw into the tank & fill it with decent diesel and drive the dung out of it up the motorway. Maybe clear it a bit. 

grounded

Quote from: LeoMc on October 15, 2018, 10:44:17 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on October 15, 2018, 10:33:08 AM
As a test on an 05 VW golf that i have driven now from 2008 i let her run on a fuel tank of diesel until see stopped. I got 770 miles and 80 miles from when the diesel light came on till see stopped. Carried a spare tank of diesel in the boot to fill her which must have looked strange the day i had to do it in middle of Omagh.
Best thing i ever done as it allowed me to know what i had left when the light came on.
Something similar on an 02 Leon one time. I did 70 miles from the light came on until i got a chance to fill it.

I was always told it was a bad idea to drive the car regularly with the fuel light on as lots the crud collected at the bottom of the fuel tank and was bad for the engine. Is this just an old wife's tail?

paddyjohn

Quote from: grounded on November 13, 2018, 07:47:40 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 15, 2018, 10:44:17 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on October 15, 2018, 10:33:08 AM
As a test on an 05 VW golf that i have driven now from 2008 i let her run on a fuel tank of diesel until see stopped. I got 770 miles and 80 miles from when the diesel light came on till see stopped. Carried a spare tank of diesel in the boot to fill her which must have looked strange the day i had to do it in middle of Omagh.
Best thing i ever done as it allowed me to know what i had left when the light came on.
Something similar on an 02 Leon one time. I did 70 miles from the light came on until i got a chance to fill it.

I was always told it was a bad idea to drive the car regularly with the fuel light on as lots the crud collected at the bottom of the fuel tank and was bad for the engine. Is this just an old wife's tail?

V true in fact. The electronic fuel pumps don't like it and either do injectors.

trueblue1234

Have a Audi A5 Automatic and have noticed that when I pull of some times it doesn't deliver power straight away but then revs hard and delivers it suddenly. Feels Like a slipping clutch.

My thoughts were possibly the torque converter? But not up on automatics so any ideas and likely cost to fix?

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 14, 2018, 09:31:40 AM
Have a Audi A5 Automatic and have noticed that when I pull of some times it doesn't deliver power straight away but then revs hard and delivers it suddenly. Feels Like a slipping clutch.

My thoughts were possibly the torque converter? But not up on automatics so any ideas and likely cost to fix?

Not a torque converter, Audi uses the VAG group DSG.  A5 gearbox problems are well known just google it to see.

DSG moving off is an issue especially with start-go switched on. Also if you didn't get the oil changed at 40K you could be heading for major expense.

BennyCake

Car sometimes doesn't start first time. Not turning over, just a click. Turn the key again a few seconds later, it usually starts fine (might take 2 or 3 attempts).

I thought maybe it was the starter motor. But if it was, would it usually start no problem next attempt?