America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: heganboy on April 19, 2013, 01:06:25 PM
CNBC national tv just told people the people of Boston
"if you have a handgun get it ready and stand by the door, be better than a baseball bat"

What sickens me is the fact the Republicans will be loving this comment and comments like it from the left wing media!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: heganboy on April 19, 2013, 06:16:01 PM
CNBC is wall street's go to business channel. And as such would definitely have a right wing bias, especially on tax government regulation i was surprised to hear them get into that today. And not only that-" in light of this dangerous foreign criminal forcing unarmed US citizens to be locked in their homes today, surely this is the context in which we should frame the gun and immigration debates this week"

also  a congressman called to have ball bearing purchases tracked  and registered (but not guns or pressure cookers)

Hegan, CNBC is an enigma, liberal on some matters and to some people, republican to others and on some matters.

A five year old kills a two year old in f**king Kentucky of all places but hey, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Charlton Heston, deceased or not you were a f**king idiot!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 04, 2013, 05:24:34 AM
Yep, a 5 year-old shot and killed his 2 year-old sister in Kentucky.

And now over 3,800 have died from guns since Sandy Hook, and we can't even get background checks despite the fact that 90% of the country favour them.

Thank the process of gerrymandering. If you though the likes of the city of Derry was bad back in the day when the Unionists marked out their constituencies, you should check out maps for US congressional districts! All those deranged Republican congressman have safe seats through 2020, at least, no matter how debased their policies. The Democrats received 1.5 million votes more than the Republicans for House seats 2012, yet ended up losing the House by a substantial margin. Those Democratic voters who stayed home in 2010, allowing a significantly reduced electorate to sweep the Tea Party lunatics to power, have a lot to answer for and no right to complain.

J70

Quote from: stew on May 04, 2013, 05:43:25 AM
Quote from: heganboy on April 19, 2013, 06:16:01 PM
CNBC is wall street's go to business channel. And as such would definitely have a right wing bias, especially on tax government regulation i was surprised to hear them get into that today. And not only that-" in light of this dangerous foreign criminal forcing unarmed US citizens to be locked in their homes today, surely this is the context in which we should frame the gun and immigration debates this week"

also  a congressman called to have ball bearing purchases tracked  and registered (but not guns or pressure cookers)

Hegan, CNBC is an enigma, liberal on some matters and to some people, republican to others and on some matters.

A five year old kills a two year old in f**king Kentucky of all places but hey, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Charlton Heston, deceased or not you were a f**king idiot!

Stew, CNBC is all business. Not sure who'd go to it for other reasons, other than to take an odd look at Maria Bartiromo!  :D

All of a Sludden

Local tv in U.S. City of New Orleans reports at least a dozen people injured in a shooting during local neighbourhood Mother's Day parade.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

heganboy

from CNN

QuoteAbdul Aziz believes he was standing right next to a shooter Sunday when gunmen opened fire at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans, injuring 19 people.
"Everyone around me, except me, was shot," he said. "I was pretty fortunate to get away."
Aziz, 33, a photojournalist, was at the second-line parade when gunfire broke out at the corner of Frenchman Street and North Villere Street.
Second-line parades, which involve dancing and brass bands, are a New Orleans tradition. They happen most every Sunday, except during the hottest months in summer, according to Aziz.
"We turned off of a main thoroughfare to a smaller residential street, and that's when the shots rang out. I was standing, I believe, right next to the shooter. I saw muzzle flash, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see who the shooter was," he said.
People panicked and ran.
Aziz, who has worked in the Middle East, started taking pictures.
He sent those images to CNN iReport.
"It's a little jarring when you see these types of things on the home front," he said.
"I'm sad. I love this city. We're plagued by crime, and it's just not getting better no matter what we do."
According to police, 19 people were injured in the shooting, including two children. Ten men and seven women were among the victims.
The children suffered graze wounds. Other injuries ranged from minor to severe.
Shots were fired from different guns, and officers saw three suspects running from the scene, police said.
One of the suspects was described as an African-American male, approximately 18 to 22 years old, wearing a white T-shirt and blue jean shorts.
No one is in custody.
"This is an extremely unusual occurrence, and we're confident that we will make swift arrests," said Remi Braden, a police spokeswoman.
Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas told CNN affiliate WVUE that it appears "two or three people just, for a reason unknown to us, started shooting at, towards, or in the crowd."
He asked anyone with information to call authorities.
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu echoed that request, challenging the community to get involved.
"It's important for us, as I have said, to change the culture of death on the streets of New Orleans to a culture of life, and it's going to take an all-hands-on-deck approach," he said.
"These kinds of incidents are not going to go unanswered. We're going to be very, very aggressive. There were hundreds of people out there today, so somebody knows who did this."
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Declan

A National Receipt from the 45 senators who blocked gun control, and who received $8,165,490 from the NRA and other gun-toting advocates

Oraisteach

Six months since Sandy Hook.  5,045 shot dead since then.  How can the same people who applaud the governmen't scrutiny of telephone and internet use in the interest of security resist so strenuously oppose attempts to register gun buyers?

armaghniac

QuoteHow can the same people who applaud the governmen't scrutiny of telephone and internet use in the interest of security resist so strenuously attempts to register gun buyers?

You have to realise that phones are dangerous
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1134838/Man-killed-mobile-phone-explodes-severing-artery-neck.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 13, 2013, 11:56:03 PM
Six months since Sandy Hook.  5,045 shot dead since then.  How can the same people who applaud the governmen't scrutiny of telephone and internet use in the interest of security resist so strenuously attempts to register gun buyers?

So well put, and just tonight Obama decides to "arm the rebels" in Syria based on findings that "100 to 150 people have died from detected chemical weapons attacks"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/13/syria-chemical-weapons-us-confirm
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Puckoon

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 13, 2013, 11:56:03 PM
Six months since Sandy Hook.  5,045 shot dead since then.  How can the same people who applaud the governmen't scrutiny of telephone and internet use in the interest of security resist so strenuously oppose attempts to register gun buyers?

I dont think they do? The folks raging about data collection and the gun nuts are all one and the same in my world at a glance. They're all raging anti-Obamists too.

Oraisteach

Yes, Puck, there is a whole group who oppose government intervention of any kind, any time, but there is also a broad swath of the population who seem to have no qualms about PRISM and telephone durveillance because of a perceived greater security/safety benefit. And while it may be true that some of that group are liberal (e.g. Al Franken), many are not.  My point is that how can the same conservative group so adamantly support the government's ability to perform, among other things, background checks in the interests of safety but at the same time resist with such conviction background checks on would-be gun owners when those checks are motivated also by a concern for safety, especially since over 5,000 people have died as a result of guns since Sandy Hook.

Oraisteach

Chicago reached its 200th homicide of the year on Saturday.  Over the July 4th holiday, 74 people were shot in Chicago, of whom 12 died.  Gives added meaning to "bombs bursting in air."

J70

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 08, 2013, 07:43:43 PM
Chicago reached its 200th homicide of the year on Saturday.  Over the July 4th holiday, 74 people were shot in Chicago, of whom 12 died.  Gives added meaning to "bombs bursting in air."

Jesus!! Just last week I was listening to a report about how better policing was getting the murder rate (relatively) under control, with the rate way down from last year. Hopefully this is just a "blip" and they get back on course.

Oraisteach

You are right, J70.  Chicago's homicide rate is down.  By this time last year, the total was 275.