Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

If the match was decided on the basis of GAAboard posts, Armagh would be unbackable.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

APM

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2022, 09:34:11 AM
If the match was decided on the basis of GAAboard posts, Armagh would be unbackable.

I'm not sure that's the case!

I think most people see this game as 50/50.  Darragh O'Se in his column in today's Irish Times, is very slightly tipping Galway. 
Some bookies seem to have Armagh as very slight favourites. 

There's nothing in it in most people's minds, yet I wouldn't be surprised if either team won by 7 or 8 points. 

Armagh have the momentum. Galway waiting in the long grass.

One final point - I think its refreshing to see supporters enjoying a bit of success in Armagh. Don't underestimate the quality and style of Armagh's play this year in encouraging a bit of giddyness.  Given the level of skepticism and boring detail that pervades among GAA followers and analysts, is this not a good thing.

Manning18

Quote from: balladmaker on June 21, 2022, 05:41:39 PM
I'd say they're more looking for the 6-pack of cans than anything else ... or more aptly, the buckfast this Sunday  ;)

This is the buckfast bowl really isn't it? Galway the traditional buckfast capital although I hear sales up round yer spot have hit a huge revival in recent years!

armaghniac

Quote from: Manning18 on June 21, 2022, 10:13:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 21, 2022, 03:18:31 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2022, 11:10:27 AM
G, u some amount of jump on the bandwagon Armagh supporters when you barely had 7k at Ballybofey. (Limited Capacity of course)

There was 10,000+ Armagh people at the league games in the Athletic grounds against Tyrone and Kerry and not many less against Monaghan. There are a good few for whom it will not be their first game.
20 years ago the Armagh championship support was about 16,000, which is a substantial proportion of the county. 
This game will attract people with Armagh connections who think that Kerry v Mayo might be interesting too.

The forecast for Sunday is a bit mixed at present, it would be nice if the rain and wind held off as it would suit Galway.

How would the wind and especially rain suit Galway? They have very little physicality all over, their whole game is based on quick counter attacking at speed, usually with the foot. Armagh are a much more physical side and would be expected to thrive in a game in the trenches. Galway rely heavily on individual moments from their best footballers, Conroy Walsh & Comer, none of whom would suit a wet day whatsoever. Both Galways Connacht wins came on hot dry days. Historically they've performed poorly when the elements have been bad. It would probably blunt Armagh's direct kicking game in alright, but that's also what Galway have been incorporating heavily also

The forecast today makes rain more likely than not on Sunday.
There is more rain generally in Galway than Armagh
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lfdown2

Anyone looking tickets, I have 4 for upper Cusack, section 714. Face value (40 each) ono.

Applesisapples

Quote from: lurganblue on June 21, 2022, 04:55:55 PM
Tell me this... was chatting to a lad there and he happened to say that Croke Park dont allow you to take a backpack in anymore.  Now i says, sure i was there in Jan for the league game v the dubs and brought one in no bother. 

I'm now thinking, feck could he be right.  Long oul time in Croke Park for the 2 games and the kids with me.  I need a right supply of sambos and snacks!

Anyone able to shed light on this for me?
Get your order in to wee paddy's asap.

Manning18

Quote from: armaghniac on June 22, 2022, 10:53:30 AM
G, u some amount of jump on the bandwagon Armagh supporters when you barely had 7k at Ballybofey. (Limited Capacity of course)

There was 10,000+ Armagh people at the league games in the Athletic grounds against Tyrone and Kerry and not many less against Monaghan. There are a good few for whom it will not be their first game.
20 years ago the Armagh championship support was about 16,000, which is a substantial proportion of the county. 
This game will attract people with Armagh connections who think that Kerry v Mayo might be interesting too.

The forecast for Sunday is a bit mixed at present, it would be nice if the rain and wind held off as it would suit Galway.

How would the wind and especially rain suit Galway? They have very little physicality all over, their whole game is based on quick counter attacking at speed, usually with the foot. Armagh are a much more physical side and would be expected to thrive in a game in the trenches. Galway rely heavily on individual moments from their best footballers, Conroy Walsh & Comer, none of whom would suit a wet day whatsoever. Both Galways Connacht wins came on hot dry days. Historically they've performed poorly when the elements have been bad. It would probably blunt Armagh's direct kicking game in alright, but that's also what Galway have been incorporating heavily also

Haha. I can't believe I'm actually entertaining a discussion on this one. But anyway, Galway and Armagh are in the same shade in that graphic. Those darker blue spots, they're all mountains

We do get our share of rain though alright. Unfortunately we've been training in that new Connacht dome all winter. Feck it

clarshack

Quote from: lurganblue on June 21, 2022, 04:55:55 PM
Tell me this... was chatting to a lad there and he happened to say that Croke Park dont allow you to take a backpack in anymore.  Now i says, sure i was there in Jan for the league game v the dubs and brought one in no bother. 

I'm now thinking, feck could he be right.  Long oul time in Croke Park for the 2 games and the kids with me.  I need a right supply of sambos and snacks!

Anyone able to shed light on this for me?

Can only go by my own experience but we were able to take in one of those Club Tyrone Summer camp bags into the All-Ireland Final last year. They vigorously searched all bags going in (we were in the Cusack stand) and took 2 cans of Fanta off us (the cans were at the bottom of the bag under other stuff). I had only expected them to do a quick rummage like the other times we were previously in Croke Park but they did let us drink them before going in which was awful nice of them!.
If you are going to take in fizzy drinks for the kids then just put them in your coat pocket!

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2022, 09:34:11 AM

Anyone predicting the result of this game with any degree of certainty is lying since there is no reliable form guide to base it off. I think that is a large part of the appeal of the fixture. Armagh v Donegal on the other hand carried a lot of familiarity fatigue for players and fans even though it ultimately turned out to be a great match.

I think that Armagh have the momentum though and if they continue to play with the same freedom I think they will be very hard to beat on Sunday. We have been used to playing division one opposition all year which is ideal preparation whereas Galway have only played division 2 sides with the exception of Mayo. I think Galway might struggle to live with our level of intensity and tackling. That said I can't pretend to know an awful lot about Galway but, rightly or wrongly, the perception is that they have some very good attacking players but that defensively they are suspect.

The area I'd be worried about most on Sunday is our midfield which is a long way off the level of the top teams. For that reason I think Rian O'Neill will spend most of the match around the middle and I think that is where he is most effective anyway although he might spend some short spells playing inside. If Rafferty can have a good day on kick outs and we can get close to breaking even around midfield then I think we will have a great chance as we have the quality up front to do damage on a big pitch. I don't think the weather will favour any side, the pitch will still be in pristine condition and a greasy ball just favours the better ball handling team.     

rrhf

Quote from: Manning18 on June 22, 2022, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 22, 2022, 10:53:30 AM

Haha. I can't believe I'm actually entertaining a discussion on this one. But anyway, Galway and Armagh are in the same shade in that graphic. Those darker blue spots, they're all mountains

We do get our share of rain though alright. Unfortunately we've been training in that new Connacht dome all winter. Feck it
Whilst the Map is sure to get Alarm bells ringing in Mc Geeneys camp as neither him or Donaghy have much experience of living in rainswept counties. Rory Gallagher will be relaxed sitting on his leather chair stroking his cat. The Fermanagh man is having a nice week...

galwayman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2022, 10:22:56 PM
Little physicality, you got 3/4 lads over 6ft 4in depending on who u starting.
I can think of only one lad that height on the whole panel - Patrick Kelly.

tonto1888

Quote from: galwayman on June 22, 2022, 01:12:08 PM

what size is Comer?

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 22, 2022, 01:14:49 PM

what size is Comer?
He wouldn't be overly tall would he? Built like a belgian blue though!

galwayman

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 22, 2022, 02:01:37 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 22, 2022, 01:14:49 PM

what size is Comer?
He wouldn't be overly tall would he? Built like a belgian blue though!
Strong as an ox but only about 6 foot tall