Can Burren roll back the years and be successful in Ulster?

Started by redandblackareback, October 17, 2010, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

After their success last year at U21 Ulster level, could this team backboned by most of that team last year and with serious intercounty experience on the field and the bench could this be the long overdue arrival of a Down Club on the Ulster club Scene??

bcarrier

Looking at the draw ( thanks to drici) it looks pretty tough for them.

Quarter Finals:
Hallow'een
Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) v St Galls(Antrim) (Crossmaglen)

Burren(Down) v Coleraine Eoghan Rua(Derry) (Páirc Esler)

Coalisland Na Fianna or Carrickmore St Colmcilles(Tyrone) v Roslea Shamrocks(Fermanagh) (Omagh)

Naomh Conaill v Clontibret O'Neills(Monaghan) (Donegal venue)

Semi Finals:
Sunday November 14th
Armagh/Antrim v Down/Derry

Tyrone/Fermanagh v Donegal/Monaghan

Final:
Sunday November 28th

They might get past Coleraine but I would be surprised if this team would be seasoned enough for the winners of St Galls/Cross game in the semi. So as muppet said No.

amallon

Congrats to Burren on their win yesterday.  A friend of mine from Derry was saying that a larger margin of victory over Ballinderry wouldn't have flattered Coleraine.  They were much the better team and should have won by far more than a couple of points.  Burren won't lack any confidence and should be fit for them  so long as they don't go in with the "its only Coleraine" mindset.   Home advantage is a big help too.

I think the Ulster final is the semi-final on Burren's side of the draw.  Burren/Coleraine v Cross/Galls  will be give up the eventual winners. 

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

SHEEDY

would love to see burren do well in ulster.  remember well the great team of the 80s. the mcgoverns,murdocks,shorty. that was some team.this team is nowhere near that,but who was . would add to downs great year to get a good run in ulster club. hope all down gets behind them but somehow i dont think that will happen. club rivalries always seem to take over.
nil satis nisi optimum

southall

I think that the Ulster Championship is an open door one this year and with that in mind I would see Burren as a strong contender to make the final stages.  Also, with a great pedigree in ulster club football (its a bit like Down with the All-Ireland) I believe they will make the final but just fail to win it by a few points!

snoopdog

Best of Luck to Burren in lster. Hope they do well.
Its gonna be very tough for them.
Would be great to see them do it but i think they may be a bit young yet. But heah after the progress Down made this year then who knows. most of down will be behind you anyway.