2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/laois-s-spark-of-self-belief-becomes-a-winning-flame-at-o-moore-park-1.3949595

Laois's spark of self-belief becomes a winning flame at O'Moore Park
Eddie Brennan knew Laois could fell Dublin – he just had to make his players believe it too
about an hour ago
Gavin Cummiskey

Laois hurling people, Laois players and all the children that invaded O'Moore Park before, during and after this battle needed someone to spark the inner belief. They needed convincing that beating Dublin, for the first time since 2005, was a natural progression in their sporting existence now Eddie Brennan is walking the line for each and every one of them.

We know Brennan believes any team can be felled. The black-and-amber sharpshooter of an eternal generation knows how to beat Dublin in his sleep. Hell, he knows how to beat Tipperary in Croke Park on any given Sunday. He has always known. Born into belief.

Turns out his influence – and that of Niall Corcoran – has dismantled the promise of a Dublin hurling explosion for another year.

"Right from minute one our tackles were right on the meat," said Brennan with an infectious calmness only a Kilkenny hurler with a chest of medals can possess. "We set the tone. Every time Dublin responded we were able to go back up and keep punching. That has been a trait of this team all year long."

I rang Niall Corcoran on the road up and just said, 'I think we are right here. I think we have them'
And to think these Laois hurlers were encouraged to celebrate capturing the McDonagh Cup last weekend with a Monday session on the beer. Still, come Friday night, as Brennan drove home, he felt the need to phone his coach despite only parting company with him a few minutes beforehand.

"I rang Niall Corcoran on the road up and just said, 'I think we are right here. I think we have them,' because the players drove on the meeting, they drove on the training.

'Tuned in'
"When they believe in themselves – that was the difference – and today right from minute one they were well tuned in. We said to them, 'don't be afraid of the occasion. Go and enjoy it. And go at it. If anyone is under pressure today it is the guys up the hall.'"

But Laois players needed a moment. The crowd craved it. Something to allow them clear their throats. Any one of Willie Dunphy's four scores would do just fine, or the corner forward's never-say-die attitude to create Aaron Dunphy's historic goal. Or the sight of Mark Kavanagh twisting in agony after pointing his last free yet refusing to leave the field.

Laois goalkeeper Enda Rowland celebrates after scoring from a free in the second half. of their All-Ireland SHC preliminary quarter-final against Dublin at O'Moore Park on Sunday. Photograph: Ryan Byrne/Inpho
Laois goalkeeper Enda Rowland celebrates after scoring from a free in the second half. of their All-Ireland SHC preliminary quarter-final against Dublin at O'Moore Park on Sunday. Photograph: Ryan Byrne/Inpho
When I seen it passing the halfway line, I knew it was going over the bar

But the true moments belong to Enda Rowland. All four of them. The Laois goalkeeper stood tall to deny Eamon Dillon's seemingly certain goal as Dublin grew into the battle. The St Lazerian's club in Abbeyleix will forever mention the frees dropped from deep in Laois territory. The second strike as injury time arrived was inside his own 45. The distance may grow over time but on this morning it feels like 120 yards.

'Unreal'
"I knew the minute I struck it," said Rowland. "I threw it up right, I got the strike right and I said I knew it was going well, then when I seen it passing the halfway line, I knew it was going over the bar. It was unreal, it was a massive part of the game to get the score, so thankfully it went over."

If the story of this victory must be told in one incident, it should be Rowland's save of Danny Sutcliffe's bullet. There were 47 minutes on the clock when Sutcliffe let fly close enough to see the whites of Rowland's eyes.

The Laois goalkeeper acrobatically refused to blink.

Tipperary in Croke Park next Sunday. An All-Ireland quarter-final. The Laois manager can tell them all about this sort of challenge in the big house against these Premier hurlers.

Brennan knows they are listening to him now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Giovanni

Quote from: Tony on July 08, 2019, 08:18:26 AM
Mossy and people outside the country - my son uploaded this video of the highlights there. He said he couldn't record it directly from the TV so he taped it with his phone. So heads up, the quality isn't brilliant but it might be better than nothing. Make sure to set the playback to 720 or 1080p for best quality. Hope you enjoy. Tony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hFYxXm-b1M&feature=youtu.be

Fair play Tony

Zooming around

What an outstanding win that was. Brilliant in every detail. Despite Dublin coming back at us we responded with key scores, ones that steadied an already steady ship. Nobody lost the head yesterday, on the field, on the line and in the crowd. There was a steely composure right through the game backed up by brilliant tactics and outstanding skill. Brilliant.

Now is the time for the Laois hurling people to grasp the chance. Get hurling people involved in the key positions on what is essentially Laois county football board. Get rid of the officials who despise hurling, especially the one bitter little p***k who spent yesterday evening giving out about how much the hurlers success is costing. Drive it on in the schools and development squads. This is a great time for Laois hurling. Build, build, build.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Zooming around on July 08, 2019, 09:37:06 AM
What an outstanding win that was. Brilliant in every detail. Despite Dublin coming back at us we responded with key scores, ones that steadied an already steady ship. Nobody lost the head yesterday, on the field, on the line and in the crowd. There was a steely composure right through the game backed up by brilliant tactics and outstanding skill. Brilliant.

Now is the time for the Laois hurling people to grasp the chance. Get hurling people involved in the key positions on what is essentially Laois county football board. Get rid of the officials who despise hurling, especially the one bitter little p***k who spent yesterday evening giving out about how much the hurlers success is costing. Drive it on in the schools and development squads. This is a great time for Laois hurling. Build, build, build.

Absolutely. I firmly believe there is no great desire in the "corridors of power" for Laois hurling to rise. There was a very sneaky move last year to "split the vote" in the hurling area and virtually rule a hurling man out of contention. And a "hurling man" was central to the "plot".
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BallyroanAbu

Your just as bad as whoever that person is.

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 08, 2019, 10:10:19 AM

Absolutely. I firmly believe there is no great desire in the "corridors of power" for Laois hurling to rise. There was a very sneaky move last year to "split the vote" in the hurling area and virtually rule a hurling man out of contention. And a "hurling man" was central to the "plot".
Wasn't that the year before last?
I haven't a clue who the bitter person you refer to is but it's shocking to think that someone of that mentality is in such a position.
I suppose it's up to hurling clubs and hurling people to put names forward for these posts. In the past, Liam O'Neill and Brian Allen were chairmen from hurling clubs so it can be done.
Tom Clear, the vice chairman, seems to be the only hurling club person of any significance on the board although the chairman is from a dual club.

Zooming around

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 08, 2019, 11:53:46 AM

I doubt it.

1. I spent an hour on the pitch celebrating,
2. I am passionate about Laois hurling,
3. I want Laois hurling to improve and succeed,
4. I have respect for the great work done by so many in our clubs and squads

He has none of those attributes and would prefer if hurling didn't exist.

MasterJ

Spend hour queuing then got Hogan Stand tickets :) :) :)

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 08, 2019, 11:53:46 AM

Why?

Because he highlighted it?

Keep shooting the messenger

BallyroanAbu

Because he seems to have a similar attitude to football,  we will all have to live together.  Biggest problem Laois GAA has is non participation not which sport they pick.  If every child in Laois played sport that would be far better than trying to one up each other.

Zooming around

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 08, 2019, 01:06:59 PM
Because he seems to have a similar attitude to football,  we will all have to live together.  Biggest problem Laois GAA has is non participation not which sport they pick.  If every child in Laois played sport that would be far better than trying to one up each other.

What makes you say i have a similar attitude to football. I am a hurling man so i spend most my time at that game but i have no problem with football. I wish all Laois teams well.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 08, 2019, 01:06:59 PM

The biggest problem is whole swathes of laois clubs not allowing hurling in their gates.

Start with that,the non participation in hurling