Mayo v Fermanagh, Saturday July 09, 2016 McHale Park

Started by From the Bunker, June 19, 2016, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cllr Willie Power

No chip on my shoulder here, I'm not from Dublin....  :P I was merely pointing out that other teams have benefited from incorrect refereeing decisions as well, hence the connection. If it had been other counties complaining (e.g. Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone etc.), I'd be saying the same about them.

Beffs

Didn't Paul Flynn win a seriously dodge penalty last year? I can't remember against who. The replay clearly showed that he tripped over his own feet.

dublin7

Quote from: Beffs on July 10, 2016, 08:41:36 PM
Didn't Paul Flynn win a seriously dodge penalty last year? I can't remember against who. The replay clearly showed that he tripped over his own feet.

The clear difference between these incidents and Aidan O Shea is he deliberately dived ,none of the others did. Have to say I agree with Jinxy. He has obviously watched the movie platoon a few too many times

Beffs

Quote from: dublin7 on July 10, 2016, 08:55:22 PM
Quote from: Beffs on July 10, 2016, 08:41:36 PM

The clear difference between these incidents and Aidan O Shea is he deliberately dived ,none of the others did. Have to say I agree with Mindy. He has obviously watched the movie platoon a few too many times

Yeah, but there was no contact at the time of the trip, which is why I called it a bit dodge.

Erne Man

Disappointing second half last night from Fermanagh - tried to keep it tight and defend a 6point lead, and after Mayo's quick start we were never going to do this. A problem which comes from not playing against the top teams on a regular basis - you can defend that type of lead against div 3 & 4 teams, and some div 2 teams, but you can't do it against experienced teams who will eventually grind you down. We showed our inexperience as a team in that 2nd half, and we really needed a McCluskey type presence to organise the defence, and try and create some momentum as we got sucked further and further into our own half.
Whilst our second half was poor, we probably lost the game in a 15minute spell in the first half when we went to sleep. We gave Mayo the ball for that period, and whilst they didnt dent the scoreboard, we were no threat either. I felt with the wind that 6pts would not be enough, as it was almost inevitable at half time that the 2nd half would play out as it did, and we would be hanging on for grim death at the end. Positives on the night was the performance of Aidan Breen who was excellent throughout, and will probably partner Eoin Donnelly in the middle next year. Tomas continued his good form this season, but we need to find a bit more inside to support him and Sean.Would love to see Cian McManus get a run in the league next year in the half back line - and if we could develop a bit more cohesion in that middle eight to create more scoring opportunities we can improve. Would love to see Marty O'Brien released from his corner back duties - he has great pace, and is a defender who can create that attacking overlap.
Key for 2017 is that Pete remains at the helm, and we make a real push for promotion to division 1. I think it is a much better balanced division 2 next year, and with 3 bogey Ulster teams having exited this year, we have as good a chance as anyone for promotion.
I think the O'Shea penalty incident is one of those things - it happens at numerous times over every season - we take them when they are for us, and moan when they go against us. Good luck to Mayo, nothing wrong with building slowly through a season. They'll not be worried about any of the remaining four qualifiers, but it is a huge ask to hit September through the scenic route they have to take this year.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Lar Naparka

Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2016, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 10, 2016, 03:43:14 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 09, 2016, 10:28:32 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2016, 10:24:11 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 09, 2016, 09:14:36 PM
Referee Mc Quillan had another one of his Tour de Farce performances today again, shocking -- A O'Shea should have been long gone by the time he did is dying swan act.

Do you not think its hard for refs when players are diving around? O Shea cheated the ref and was rewarded with a critical score. If the GAA is serious about ridding the game of this they should do retrospective 2 week bans for diving and feigning injury. The alternative is to allow it to grow more and more into the game and people like a poster earlier will justify it as OK because of this and that - like Aidan gets fouled so he should be allowed cheat. That is the future just like it's already happened in soccer.
I actually think the umpire told McQuillan about the "jersey pull" as you could see him indicating it to one of the players. McQuillan has to go on what he's told as the umpire was much better positioned.

I thought McQuillan did ok.

So did I.
I decided to wait until I had a look at a recording of the game before I'd comment on the penalty incident. Now that I have had a few looks
at the lead up to O'Shea's theatrics, I think Joe had already decided to give Mayo a penalty before O'Shea made contact with the ball.
I watched that segment of play in slo mo and while the images were a bit fuzzy at that resolution, O'Shea and his marker were jostling for position as Kevin Mc launched his kick and if there was a tug on O'Shea's jersey, that's where it happened. (About 61.50 or so on the RTE broadcast.)
I couldn't say for definite that his jersey was tugged but, crucially, the nearest umpire was within 10 metres of the incident and he didn't disagree with Joe Mac's decision.
Maurice Deegan is to be seen in the thick of things arguing with a group of Fermanagh players and it's clear that he agreed with the ref's decision.
It's not clear from the recording if there was a tug on O'Shea's m or not.
I couldn't say there was but Joe Mac, the umpire and Maurice Deegan had a better view of proceedings that I had and they all seem to have felt that there was.

He should not have been on the field.
He should have been black carded and sent off.
That was where McQuillan turned the game in Mayos favour

I'd be inclined to agree with you.  Joe didn't cover himself in glory with his handling of the game.
O'Shea didn't do Mayo any favours with his carry-on. From here on, no matter how far Mayo goes, he'll have to watch every step he takes as any ref he comes up against will be watching him closely.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Captain Obvious

dublin7

You do realise that pic proves he wasn't tripped. Would be better looking at close up pictures of the crowd for the sniper who took him out.

highorlow

Another poor refereeing decision tonight that went the way of the red and green!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 10, 2016, 10:28:39 PM
Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2016, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 10, 2016, 03:43:14 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 09, 2016, 10:28:32 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2016, 10:24:11 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 09, 2016, 09:14:36 PM
Referee Mc Quillan had another one of his Tour de Farce performances today again, shocking -- A O'Shea should have been long gone by the time he did is dying swan act.

Do you not think its hard for refs when players are diving around? O Shea cheated the ref and was rewarded with a critical score. If the GAA is serious about ridding the game of this they should do retrospective 2 week bans for diving and feigning injury. The alternative is to allow it to grow more and more into the game and people like a poster earlier will justify it as OK because of this and that - like Aidan gets fouled so he should be allowed cheat. That is the future just like it's already happened in soccer.
I actually think the umpire told McQuillan about the "jersey pull" as you could see him indicating it to one of the players. McQuillan has to go on what he's told as the umpire was much better positioned.

I thought McQuillan did ok.

So did I.
I decided to wait until I had a look at a recording of the game before I'd comment on the penalty incident. Now that I have had a few looks
at the lead up to O'Shea's theatrics, I think Joe had already decided to give Mayo a penalty before O'Shea made contact with the ball.
I watched that segment of play in slo mo and while the images were a bit fuzzy at that resolution, O'Shea and his marker were jostling for position as Kevin Mc launched his kick and if there was a tug on O'Shea's jersey, that's where it happened. (About 61.50 or so on the RTE broadcast.)
I couldn't say for definite that his jersey was tugged but, crucially, the nearest umpire was within 10 metres of the incident and he didn't disagree with Joe Mac's decision.
Maurice Deegan is to be seen in the thick of things arguing with a group of Fermanagh players and it's clear that he agreed with the ref's decision.
It's not clear from the recording if there was a tug on O'Shea's m or not.
I couldn't say there was but Joe Mac, the umpire and Maurice Deegan had a better view of proceedings that I had and they all seem to have felt that there was.

He should not have been on the field.
He should have been black carded and sent off.
That was where McQuillan turned the game in Mayos favour

I'd be inclined to agree with you.  Joe didn't cover himself in glory with his handling of the game.
O'Shea didn't do Mayo any favours with his carry-on. From here on, no matter how far Mayo goes, he'll have to watch every step he takes as any ref he comes up against will be watching him closely.

Well you will have no worries there. He'll get feck all anyway! So don't worry about losing any sleep in regards to that!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

If Mayo kept the old jersey with the elegant band in the middle rather than the post modern load of shite that makes so much money for Elverys they wouldn't need an away jersey playing Fermanagh

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on July 10, 2016, 11:07:03 PM
That picture looks photo shopped to me.

Me too, Aido usually shaves his legs and applies a coat of ronseal.

blast05

Good man Mayo Mick. Finally a picture that shows the jersey pull... its clear from the numbers and the letters on the front of Aidans jersey that it's being pulled by Cullens left hand.