Mayo v Fermanagh, Saturday July 09, 2016 McHale Park

Started by From the Bunker, June 19, 2016, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2016, 11:13:21 PM
If Mayo kept the old jersey with the elegant band in the middle rather than the post modern load of shite that makes so much money for Elverys they wouldn't need an away jersey playing Fermanagh

The old jersey was mostly green. Fermanagh all green.
Hate that new bloody jersey though.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

criostlinn

Didn't get to see the Sunday Game tonight but did Aidan O'Shea get publicly flogged enough to keep the Dubs and the Tymoanies happy, or does Joe Duffy need to do an hour on this tomorrow

NetNitrate

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 10, 2016, 10:39:22 PM
Quote from: mayo.mick on July 10, 2016, 10:20:56 PM

Are you seeking a caption for that picture?

Yells "ref watch this foul dive"

AOS got head butted in the ear too. And the crowd on the other side were so close they must have seen it all. The telephoto lens never lies.

joemamas

Quote from: NetNitrate on July 11, 2016, 12:06:34 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 10, 2016, 10:39:22 PM
Quote from: mayo.mick on July 10, 2016, 10:20:56 PM

Are you seeking a caption for that picture?

Yells "ref watch this foul dive"

AOS got head butted in the ear too. And the crowd on the other side were so close they must have

seen it all. The telephoto lens never lies.

Wonder will they ask AOS to try the glove on to see if it fits

maigheo

Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2016, 11:51:51 PM
Didn't get to see the Sunday Game tonight but did Aidan O'Shea get publicly flogged enough to keep the Dubs and the Tymoanies happy, or does Joe Duffy need to do an hour on this tomorrow
No  fair enough analysis from Whelan and OShea.Basically said that he dived and it would be something he would regret doing but should not be slaughtered on social media.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 10, 2016, 02:50:56 PM
A few thoughts...

First half Mayo were awful. I honestly didn't see the second half performance coming at any stage, despite playing against the wind. Fermanagh were well on top in all sectors of the field and Freeman was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get the goal. I thought he would have a stormer, but I don't know about him. Over on mayoblog before the game people wanted him to start etc. Sorry Alan, apart from the goal, what did he do? Saying that, it was a bloody important score in the overall context of the game. There was no way in he'll Mayo would have got back into it if he hadn't scored it. Enough on the first half. There wasn't much else to be positive from a Mayo point of view at least. Fermanagh totally ran riot at midfield. Their forwards were kicking some great scores too.

The second half, (apart from the penalty) was better from Mayo. For the majority of it, the play was in the Fermanagh half of the field. On came Barry Moran, while I thought we were beginning to get a foothold in the middle of the field, Barry just solidified it.

The penalty that was given shouldn't have been. I was sure that COC was fouled at the time before hand, but I'll have to watch it again to see if he was or not.

It is a bit worrying that Mayo have to go back to the 'oldies' such as Dillon, who proved me wrong by scoring 2 great points and A Moran to calm things down. Not sure if Durcan is living up to what he's supposed to be tbh. Two poor games in a row. He has time on his side, but the youngsters from Dublin, Kerry et al are capable of doing it. Vaughan did well when he came on.

I guess we'll never know if Fermanagh would have won if the penalty wasn't given. I honestly don't think they would. Yes, I might be biased I know 😉

Can't afford a half like the first half agsin. Against any team. A win is a win.

Agree with most of what you said.
Freeman very disappointed with him again. He just give up the ball too easily, just way to lax, Fermanagh point in 31st minute was almost a direct result of his laziness, maybe he needs more consistent playing time, but the window is narrowing. We do need him, that is the bottom line and he has the class to do it.
Need to watch again, but like v Galway Harrison seemed to struggle again, he is young and has time on his side but got cleaned in first half by a good forward mind you.
I have yet to be convinced by Coen same as above hopefully he will come good. Not this year though.
Regan hopefully will get his shooting boots sooner rather than later.
Andy Moran as I mentioned looked like he was trying to pad his career stats.
Dillon a lot of value added.
Happy to have won. Let's win again next week and then Croke Park on July 30th.

Syferus

In fairness Andy might be the only one with the sense to realise padding stats is all that can be achieved now :-X

Fuzzman

I can't really see why people are comparing this incident to the McCann one last year. McCann's one was a complete over reaction that made him look silly and I think he got a lot of negative press over it and rightfully so.

However to me this dive was nothing that new or shocking in this day and age. Whilst it is cheating and not welcome in our games, winning a soft penalty has been around for a long time. As someone else mentioned how often do players grab the defenders arm and drag him down with him looking for a penalty. The lads on TSG last night both said they thought it was a dive and that Aidan will have to now deal with the consequences of that but also you have to wonder did his manager or someone tell him he needs to go down much more otherwise refs will continue to wave play on as they think he's a big strong lad that doesn't need as much protection as others.
It's a hard job reffing a game and it looks like McQuillan "fell" for this Aidan dive.

blanketattack

Yeah very different situation. There was minimal contact (say 5% force) and O'Shea exaggerated it to make it like enough contact to be knocked down (say 30%+ force) in order to win a penalty.
There was 0% force on McCann and he completely contrived being struck in order to get a player sent off.

larryin89

Im sorry but "freeman has the class to do it" can you please explain why he hasnt done it since aisf 2013 so ? I have to ask are you from aghamore parish?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blanketattack on July 12, 2016, 05:33:39 PM
Yeah very different situation. There was minimal contact (say 5% force) and O'Shea exaggerated it to make it like enough contact to be knocked down (say 30%+ force) in order to win a penalty.
There was 0% force on McCann and he completely contrived being struck in order to get a player sent off.

O'Shea dived.

McCann dived.

A dive is a dive and both did in the heat of the moment to gain an advantage for their side.

O'Shea has previous form for this though but nothing has been made of that because the jersey he wears means he gets a pass. The most thuggish game of the year we had last year was Mayo-Dublin and we had the same lads who were talking about bad smells, apologies, ashamed and appalling when it came to Tyrone trying to defend the actions of McMahon, Cooper, Connolly, Keegan, O'Connor etc.

It's not about what was done, it is about who did it and quite disgracefully Tyrone are being held to different rules that the rest.

Maroon Manc

I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea that AOS is fouled everytime he is in possession. He's certainly been hard done by in previous years on the odd occasion but having watched him in action against Galway & Fermanagh I didn't see any evidence of that; I did AOS clearly dive 3 last Saturday, once to win a free in the first half then again to win the pen and finally he tried running through about 3 Fermanagh men when he simply dived to the floor to win a free which ended up given against him. Whilst he continues with his style of trying to run through opposition players i'm sure we'll continue to have this debate.