Jack the Lad Leaving the Hill behind for the plains of Africa

Started by Fuzzman, July 12, 2016, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

An interesting read of young Jack McCaffrey year out from GAA from my new adopted club here in Dublin.
Reminds me a bit of Jamie Clarke where he was his own man and didn't like the idea of bulking up more using weights but using his gift of speed more.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/jack-mccaffrey-leaving-the-hill-behind-for-the-plains-of-africa-34870451.html

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 12, 2016, 09:37:46 AM
An interesting read of young Jack McCaffrey year out from GAA from my new adopted club here in Dublin.
Reminds me a bit of Jamie Clarke where he was his own man and didn't like the idea of bulking up more using weights but using his gift of speed more.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/jack-mccaffrey-leaving-the-hill-behind-for-the-plains-of-africa-34870451.html
I think it is great to see top players doing different stuff. One of Christy Ring's big regrets was leaving school at 14. Mick Mackey would have been the same.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 12, 2016, 09:37:46 AM

Bit of a difference one lad going to New York and the other doing charity work in fairness!

Fuzzman

What does Jamie Clarke work at?

A lot of student doctors go to Africa for work (and life) experience to boost their CV for when they go looking for work.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 12, 2016, 12:33:31 PM

A lot of student doctors go to Africa for work (and life) experience to boost their CV for when they go looking for work.

Think JC works in media/marketing. Could be wrong though.

Kurtz

I think he will regret it
He can go to Africa any time but soon he will be too old for football

heffo

Quote from: Kurtz on July 12, 2016, 01:02:05 PM
I think he will regret it
He can go to Africa any time but soon he will be too old for football

Football is a hobby. He togged for the Clontarf Junior B Hurlers earlier this summer and I'd say they'll welcome him back if he doesnt play IC Football again

Fuzzman

Kurtz did you read the article?
The lad is in his early 20s and was footballer of the year last year. He's away to Africa for one year and you can tell from his interview football is his main love. He will be back next year with a renewed hunger I suspect.
Look at young Mannion this year and you would have thought he would find it harder to break back into the team with such a range of attacking options

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 12, 2016, 12:33:31 PM

Is he not some kind of coffee engineer? Certainly went on about coffee a lot anyway in the last article I read on him.