A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: AQMP on May 15, 2018, 10:18:56 AM
Is the fact that the British PM is not confident that NI would vote to remain in the UK in a border poll not a signal to the SoS that she should call one?? ;)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/theresa-may-not-confident-unionists-would-win-irish-border-poll-reports-36908576.html

Overheard in cabinet earlier... is there anything to be said for another pogrom

yellowcard

Quote from: AQMP on May 15, 2018, 10:18:56 AM
Is the fact that the British PM is not confident that NI would vote to remain in the UK in a border poll not a signal to the SoS that she should call one?? ;)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/theresa-may-not-confident-unionists-would-win-irish-border-poll-reports-36908576.html

The fact that this conversation was leaked is not a coincidence. The Irish border issue is becoming a source of real frustration for some English brexiteers since it is significantly stalling progress on reaching an agreed deal.

A border poll is inevitable in the not too distant future and it might be in Unionists interests to hold it sooner rather than later. Still, I would suspect that their naturally fearful nature will not even countenance the actual poll being agreed upon.

heganboy

If you look at the set up that's taking place, the idea of Great Britain ditching the 6 in order to do a last minute switch to hard Brexit is not out of the question.

The effort must now be in setting up an inclusive island nation welcoming to all to be achieved through peaceful means with respect for all traditions.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: tiempo on May 17, 2018, 11:47:43 PM

https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit-senior-unionists-from-northern-ireland-ready-to-talk-to-dublin-about-possible-unification

Move along nahin to see here

Good link. Thankfully most people interviewed came across well considering they usually go to the headbangers for this sort of thing. Still depressing that a couple of educated protestant students seem to have their head in the sand and oblivious to whars happening.

JPGJOHNNYG

Just to add  some caution Jamie Dornans dad is about as Unionist lite as you can get. Sure even Jamie came across as a nationalist in that Eamon Mallie interview but on the plus side its only this demographic that is needed to tip a border poll  in favour of a UI.

Insane Bolt

balladmaker

On this evening's Last Word on Today FM, an analyst from the Irish Examiner reckoned, irrespective of how the 6 counties would vote in a border poll, there is a majority in the 26 who would vote against Irish reunification.  He reckoned you could have a situation where the 6 counties vote for it, and the 26 against it.  I find it difficult to believe that, given the choice, the 26 counties would reject reunification. Maybe I'm naive.

mrdeeds

Quote from: balladmaker on June 08, 2018, 07:15:36 PM
On this evening's Last Word on Today FM, an analyst from the Irish Examiner reckoned, irrespective of how the 6 counties would vote in a border poll, there is a majority in the 26 who would vote against Irish reunification.  He reckoned you could have a situation where the 6 counties vote for it, and the 26 against it.  I find it difficult to believe that, given the choice, the 26 counties would reject reunification. Maybe I'm naive.

That was under the circumstances of a higher tax bill.

ardtole

I'm from the north and I've been living in the south for the past 15 years. I'd be surprised if more than 35/40% of the southern electorate voted for a United Ireland. I'd like to be proved wrong, I've nothing to back this up with but it's just a general impression I get.

Tubberman

Quote from: ardtole on June 08, 2018, 10:24:08 PM
I'm from the north and I've been living in the south for the past 15 years. I'd be surprised if more than 35/40% of the southern electorate voted for a United Ireland. I'd like to be proved wrong, I've nothing to back this up with but it's just a general impression I get.

65/35 in favour of unification I'd say - conservatively. 
There's a hard-core who would vote yes regardless of the conditions.  a sizeable majority would be swayed by the t&cs i.e. how it affects them in the pocket. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

armaghniac

Quote from: ardtole on June 08, 2018, 10:24:08 PM

There will be good majority. It would be like Gemany, no interest before, much griping afterwards, but a definite tide at the time of unification. That said, as a taxpayer I would fully support driving a hard deal, why should the Irish people accept Britain handing over a banjaxed NI expecting them to fix it up?

BBC Poll
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44398502

The game would be on, if there was a suitable economic model.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Windmill abu

With the DUP holding the conservatives to ransom and the border preventing any real discussion on future trade deals with the EU. Would the British people be in favour of a United Ireland to get rid of the troublesome north?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

armaghniac

Quote from: Windmill abu on June 09, 2018, 01:23:02 AM
With the DUP holding the conservatives to ransom and the border preventing any real discussion on future trade deals with the EU. Would the British people be in favour of a United Ireland to get rid of the troublesome north?

What NI  needs to for GB to stay in a rational relationship with the EU and a few extra arrangements, mostly to do with agribusiness. I'm not sure if Brexit would now get a  majority in Britain, but even if it did there would still be majority in favour of a Norway type deal. So NI is only really obstructing the more looney end of the Brexiteers, not all the people in Britain.

One real problem is that giving NI a really good deal would immediately lead to Scotland asking for similar and a lot of people are less keen on that. Some of the great minds here need to devise a formula that doesn't give Scotland as good a deal.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Windmill abu

England & Wales without N.I. and Scotland would probably be better off financially. Why do they want to keep a Union created hundreds of years ago with little or no relevance in the modern world. Are the north and Scotland the last outposts of the British Empire?
Never underestimate the power of complaining