Minor All Ireland Football Championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, May 26, 2023, 07:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Full time Derry 1-13 Monaghan 0-9. Congratulations to Derry their 2nd U17 All-Ireland title in the last few years.

As for Monaghan didn't take advantage of the extra man for the last 20 minutes. Shooting and shot selection poor just 9 scores from 24 shots.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Quote from: Onthe40 on July 09, 2023, 02:20:24 PM
Yes Derry v good though look very average .. no fwd line

Lol yes very average beating all the best teams about!

imtommygunn

Derry great wee team. Sending off galvanised them. Two minors in four years some going. Hopefully the young fella learns from that because you can't be doing that.

Hard luck to Monaghan. I think the occasion got to them a bit too.

Blowitupref

Attendance of 13,754 in the Athletic Grounds this afternoon.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

onefineday

Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2023, 02:22:42 PM
Quote from: Onthe40 on July 09, 2023, 02:20:24 PM
Yes Derry v good though look very average .. no fwd line

Lol yes very average beating all the best teams about!
He might want to go and look at the scores they've been racking up in the year to date rather than judge them on one match against the clear second best team.

timmyot501

Well done Derry. Best team won and by beating monaghan 3 times in one season shows their superiority. But well done to dermot malone and his monaghan team. Brought us to a place where we've never been before in most of our lifetime Great season. Very proud of everyone involved

befair

Quote from: 5times5times on July 09, 2023, 02:15:09 PM
Ref doing his best to spoil this game, put your bloody hand down ffs, blowing frees every 15secs.
Sure, blame the ref......

befair

Superb Derry team; hope they progress to senior level. It's inevitable that life will take most of them away, so important to enjoy the achievement for it's own sake

imtommygunn

There always seems to be a Higgins from magherafelt on these minor teams. Must be quite a few of them.

Main Street

Pretty much Derry were in control all of the game, they were well structured and imposing and disappointingly Monaghan did not measure up to that standard on the day as they did v Mayo.

The ref was poor I doubt he can or could hack it at senior level, about the only real decision he got right was the stonewall red card, but no kudos seeing as it was so obvious. Why can't one of the top senior refs be appointed to ref an AI final?  instead we got a minor ref.

onefineday

Quote from: befair on July 09, 2023, 02:37:31 PM
Superb Derry team; hope they progress to senior level. It's inevitable that life will take most of them away, so important to enjoy the achievement for it's own sake
Completely agree with that - there's a lot of talk about this grade being developmental etc, but logically, for a lot of these guys this is the pinnacle of their football careers, something they'll always remember and a great achievement in its own right.
That's another reason why I don't follow the logic of not playing these games as a curtain raiser to all Ireland final or semi, this is the only chance the majority of players on display today will ever have of playing in croker park before a big crowd. I've yet to come across anyone who supports the route we've gone with that, do how come in a democratic organisation, it remains? Do I just talk to the wrong people??

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on July 09, 2023, 02:45:13 PM
Pretty much Derry were in control all of the game, they were well structured and imposing and disappointingly Monaghan did not measure up to that standard on the day as they did v Mayo.

The ref was poor I doubt he can or could hack it at senior level, about the only real decision he got right was the stonewall red card, but no kudos seeing as it was so obvious. Why can't one of the top senior refs be appointed to ref an AI final?  instead we got a minor ref.
A rare opportunity for a Monaghan all Ireland.
At least the women won those football titles .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokX0SGd1pI

A beautiful style of football a very log way from the current mens orthodoxy in Ulster.
They were different because they believed they could win.

tbrick18

Derry were just at a level higher than monaghan
Some fantastic wee footballers and very well drilled.
No panic after the sending off, in fact they all stepped up.

By far the better side.

Ref was erratic I would say, some very strange calls then let some obvious fouls go on both sides.

Future looks good for Derry football.

Rossfan

Quote from: onefineday on July 09, 2023, 02:48:57 PM
Quote from: befair on July 09, 2023, 02:37:31 PM
Completely agree with that - there's a lot of talk about this grade being developmental etc, but logically, for a lot of these guys this is the pinnacle of their football careers, something they'll always remember and a great achievement in its own right.
That's another reason why I don't follow the logic of not playing these games as a curtain raiser to all Ireland final or semi, this is the only chance the majority of players on display today will ever have of playing in croker park before a big crowd. I've yet to come across anyone who supports the route we've gone with that, do how come in a democratic organisation, it remains? Do I just talk to the wrong people??
I'd suspect you do alright.
Most people have no problems with Minor Finals  in a Provincial ground.
At least 10,000 of those there today wouldn't get to see the game if it was on with the Senior Final.

Did I hear the RnaG commentator right saying it's the first time an AI football final was played in thec6 Cos?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Derryman forever

Quote from: seafoid on July 09, 2023, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 09, 2023, 02:45:13 PM

A rare opportunity for a Monaghan all Ireland.
At least the women won those football titles .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokX0SGd1pI

A beautiful style of football a very log way from the current mens orthodoxy in Ulster.
They were different because they believed they could win.

I take it you don't watch Galway or Roscommon at all then?