Is this where you get your bias from?

Started by T Fearon, April 18, 2016, 09:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

How can people in the south be anti catholic when 95% of them are catholic?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

No wides

Idiots like you defending the indefensible.

T Fearon

The anti catholic bile gratuitously spread by the media is shameful

No wides

Disgusting accusations against children and their parents who were raped by Catholic Priests by vile individuals like yourself who purports to be a christian is worse.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 18, 2016, 11:23:45 AM
The anti catholic bile gratuitously spread by the media is shameful
that reporting on institutionalised child rape and the Incoherent church response to it was immense. No point in hammering people about sin when rapists are being defended. The church dug its own grave.

Beffs

Quote from: seafoid on April 18, 2016, 09:49:32 AM
How can people in the south be anti catholic when 95% of them are catholic?

Not any more they're not. People may say they are Catholic, if they tick a box on a census form, or have their kids baptised so they can get into the local primary school, or get married & have baptisms & funerals in Catholic churches, as they want the familiarity of a Catholic ceremony on the big days in their lives of them & their families.

But on a day to day basis, the number of practicing Catholics has fallen off a cliff. If you measure it by Mass attendances, numbers joining the priesthood, couples living together & having kids before they get married, (if they get married at all,) the small size of most Irish families these days etc, the reality is much different.

All that kind of stuff, especially in the younger generations, points to a massive, massive decline in practicing Catholics in Ireland, even though the stats in the Census Office say other wise. In my family, there is not a single regular Mass goer under the age of 60 and, my family is not all that unique.

muppet

This is what the good Baroness said:

"in a country in which the media was once sympathetic to the Catholic Church, it is now aggressively hostile".

It wasn't merely sympathetic, it was effectively run by the Catholic Church.

See below:

Now that the Church isn't running the show anymore, and gets the same treatment as everyone else, it thinks its treatment is 'aggressively hostile'. This after the State picked up 90% of the tab for their own Clerical abuse in a €128 million deal in 2002. They really have some cheek.

But then speaking of bias, Nual O'Loan writes a column for http://irishcatholic.ie/profile/nuala-o'loan.
MWWSI 2017

Beffs

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2016, 01:00:21 PM

"in a country in which the media was once sympathetic to the Catholic Church, it is now aggressively hostile".

Now that the Church isn't running the show anymore, and gets the same treatment as everyone else, it thinks its treatment is 'aggressively hostile'. This after the State picked up 90% of the tab for their own Clerical abuse in a €128 million deal in 2002. They really have some cheek.

+1

If all the paedophile priests & nuns, that deserved to end their days in prison, actually did end their days in prison, they'd find out right sharpish, what "aggressively hostile" really is. As it is, they got off bloody lightly, compared to all those whose lives they destroyed.

laoislad

Quote from: Beffs on April 18, 2016, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2016, 01:00:21 PM

See below:

If all the paedophile priests & nuns who deserved to end their days in prison, actually did end their days in prison, they'd find out right sharpish, what "aggressively hostile" really is. As it is, they got off bloody lightly, compared to all those whose lives they destroyed.
It wasn't their fault sure. It was the victims parents fault.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

People think for themselves now and aren't blindly following what Preists and the Church are telling them anymore. . .

A la Carte Catholicism is the new norm. We take all the things we like about the Catholic Church like Baptism, Communion, Confirmation, Weddings, Funerals, a sense of community and then we ditch all that we don't like i.e. confession, going to mass weekly, sex before marriage, contraception, saying the rosary.

It's the future and the Church can hardly complain about it as they've perpetuated fraud for centuries against its people and finally the people have spoken and won't stand for it anymore and have become disenfranchised by the whole thing!

T Fearon

As far as I'm concerned there is no a la carte approach.This is extreme hypocrisy.You are either Catholic or not.I have more respect for those who are not.

Catholic Church teaching is not plucked from the air.It is rooted in scripture,the word of God.Picking out the so called bits you like is therefore worthless and will not yield salvation.

seafoid

There go my people. I.must follow them.cos I am their leader.
The sad thing is that Carson was right. It was fairly absolute  rome rule until well into the 70s until the women started getting organised. They still had enough power in 1983 to pass the abortion referendum. Education of the peasants was the beginning of the end.
The catholic ideology of the church post famine had sfa to do with historic Irish Catholicism. It was all about power.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: T Fearon on April 18, 2016, 08:22:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned there is no a la carte approach.This is extreme hypocrisy.You are either Catholic or not.I have more respect for those who are not.

Catholic Church teaching is not plucked from the air.It is rooted in scripture,the word of God.Picking out the so called bits you like is therefore worthless and will not yield salvation.

you are going to stop betting then?  ::)