CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 26, 2017, 01:10:44 AM
Exactly! There is no way they can speak for such a huge number and hold a united front.
I am not sure who is advising them in terms of media but come up with one master plan, not three options. No radio show, podcast or article has time to delve into all of them.
Also and being slightly nit picky here but when you open the doc the format isn't set right without having to rotate it. That sounds like me an awful tool but if you want to get the message out present things a bit better.

The CPA need an active member in every club and have them sent a monthly agenda that the club man will raise in his or her club meeting and will then in turn be raised at the county board meeting.

I agree. I'm a firm advocate of this group but must admit I was underwhelmed when I opened the links to the plans.

However, at least they have developed a proposal after fairly detailed consultation (the biggest ever???) with GAA members so all in all I think it's to be encouraged. There are elements I don't like but if we had it in the morning it would be infinitely better than the current mess. We're not going to get a utopia that suits everyone's needs or tastes but major improvement can be made relatively easily I think. If the CPA don't put the pressure on no one will.

Esmarelda

Maybe it's just me but I am hugely underwhelmed by this.

They're there to represent the club player but seem to put a lot of effort into devising a new intercounty structure. I would have expected them to look for the likes of the April window and the finishing of the club season in a calendar year, but why are the concerning themselves with the format of the intercounty season?

Obviously they're entitled to their view but it's a bit like the GPA bringing out a paper suggesting how clubs should structure their championship.

Also, I'll have to revisit Duffy's proposal for next year with regard to dates, but is the April window not almost available as it is?

I also see that on each of the CPA's suggestions that they have the end of the All-Ireland series overlapping with club championships. So despite the problems we currently have, they seem to be suggesting that the four AI semi-finalists' counties' club championships will be held up by the AI series.

Also no mention of College tournaments, U21/U20 or Minor/U17.

It was being lauded as a historic moment on Off The Ball last night but I just don't see it.

AZOffaly

The Inter County season is the single biggest obstacle to a unified and stable Club Calendar. That's why they are interested in IC fixtures.

Just a quick glance at the CPA proposals, and I don't like the big 3 month break between Club Championship in April and then in August.  In practice, I don't see how that's much better than what's there at the moment. In Tipperary you get a couple of Club Championship Matches played early, and then they pick up again when the County Team is knocked out. That seems to happen in other places too. The rubber hits the road in August/September depending on when you are knocked out.

This proposal seems to be suggesting a similar type approach, albeit with an earlier end date, but September only affects 4 counties anyway in fairness.

vallankumous

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2017, 10:26:48 AM
The Inter County season is the single biggest obstacle to a unified and stable Club Calendar. That's why they are interested in IC fixtures.

Just a quick glance at the CPA proposals, and I don't like the big 3 month break between Club Championship in April and then in August.  In practice, I don't see how that's much better than what's there at the moment. In Tipperary you get a couple of Club Championship Matches played early, and then they pick up again when the County Team is knocked out. That seems to happen in other places too. The rubber hits the road in August/September depending on when you are knocked out.

This proposal seems to be suggesting a similar type approach, albeit with an earlier end date, but September only affects 4 counties anyway in fairness.

Often it's the same Counties. These are usually the big Counties with the highest profile Clubs and the most active club players.

AZOffaly

True, and I support the drive to move the county season forward into August, but I'm just saying it's not exactly revolutionary. It's not a million miles from what has been proposed already, and I don't like the 3 month gap. That's there already in practice!

Croí na hÉireann

They left too much room for confusion with what they released yesterday. April is for club only, it would be up to county boards if they played league or championship games or both there. I think most county boards would sensibly use it for league games as there would be plenty of time if they started the championship in August. The league games in Westmeath have been completed and the championship only started last weekend, first time it has been ran like this and getting a great reception so far.

The CPA need to bring more clarity to their proposals and how the two proposals would work. I think the league based one is too revolutionary to get passed but need to see more detail on it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

It says 'CC' - Club Championship.

rosnarun

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2017, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 26, 2017, 01:10:44 AM
Exactly! There is no way they can speak for such a huge number and hold a united front.
I am not sure who is advising them in terms of media but come up with one master plan, not three options. No radio show, podcast or article has time to delve into all of them.
Also and being slightly nit picky here but when you open the doc the format isn't set right without having to rotate it. That sounds like me an awful tool but if you want to get the message out present things a bit better.

The CPA need an active member in every club and have them sent a monthly agenda that the club man will raise in his or her club meeting and will then in turn be raised at the county board meeting.

I agree. I'm a firm advocate of this group but must admit I was underwhelmed when I opened the links to the plans.

However, at least they have developed a proposal after fairly detailed consultation (the biggest ever???) with GAA members so all in all I think it's to be encouraged. There are elements I don't like but if we had it in the morning it would be infinitely better than the current mess. We're not going to get a utopia that suits everyone's needs or tastes but major improvement can be made relatively easily I think. If the CPA don't put the pressure on no one will.
but they haven't come up with a proposal
thay have come up with 3 broadly drawn plans just like ever other bar room administrator has done since this discussion started
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Esmarelda

Of course, but why are they concerned with what structure it takes? Surely their only concern is the portion of the calendar it takes up.

They're suggesting a tiered system for intercounty players who have clearly said they don't want one.

AZOffaly

I see what you mean. I suppose they couldn't just say we want the IC season to run from X to Y, without having some sort of idea as to how it would run.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2017, 10:55:56 AM
It says 'CC' - Club Championship.

Aye, that's an example of what I mean, no mention of club league games there for example. They really need to lock their proposals down and leave no room for misconception. Forget where I read it yesterday but it was mentioned that they were proposing April to be set aside for league games with championships to start in August but it would be left to county boards to organise as they saw fit locally.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Esmarelda

The CPA have now updated their website with some narrative around their proposals. Why didn't they do this initially before releasing it?

I can't say it gets any better. On the first proposal (Green), where they propose a two-tiered system with groups of four, they have included New York who they say will travel to Ireland for their three group games. Three trips to Ireland? Let's hope they don't qualify and have to come back for the quarter finals.

In the same proposal, they suggest "Relegation and Promotion for one team per season from the Mick O'Dwyer/Sam Maguire Cup". They then proceed to say "Two Up, Two down each season". Is this not a contradiction? Can someone check this and tell me if I'm missing something?

Finally, in the same page, they tell us that "All teams guaranteed 3 competitive (their underlining) games. If after two games, two teams have two wins and the other two have two losses, how is the third game competitive?

This is all on Page 6 of Plan Green.