Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

So am I the only one thinks Mannus is a bit of a Cnut?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on November 05, 2019, 06:16:49 PM
Looks like it.

Orior

There was a piece in the BELFAST telegraph on it, but it didn't say why he did it. All very strange.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

MK

Dougal Maguire

No, I'm with you on that one.
Careful now

imtommygunn

Paywall. What is his explanation?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2019, 09:06:31 PM
Wasn't really sure what to do.

"When it's not your country's anthem you normally just stand there and let it play. When everyone turned I didn't know what to do. I was thinking 'if I'm not Irish do I turn?' so I thought I'd just stand the way I was originally facing which I didn't feel was being disrespectful.

"Looking back now I guess my actions could be taken in a negative way and I take responsibility. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if I could do again I would do things differently next time."

The 37-year-old, who was born in Canada before moving to Northern Ireland with his family when he was seven, told the Belfast Telegraph that he was sorry to anyone who saw his actions as being offensive or disrespectful.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2019, 09:17:06 PM

"When it's not your country's anthem you normally just stand there and let it play. When everyone turned I didn't know what to do. I was thinking 'if I'm not Irish do I turn?' so I thought I'd just stand the way I was originally facing which I didn't feel was being disrespectful.

"Looking back now I guess my actions could be taken in a negative way and I take responsibility. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if I could do again I would do things differently next time."

The 37-year-old, who was born in Canada before moving to Northern Ireland with his family when he was seven, told the Belfast Telegraph that he was sorry to anyone who saw his actions as being offensive or disrespectful.
Fair enough imo, though I wasn't offended by it in the first place anyway.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Neither was I. I was just wondering what he was at.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 05, 2019, 09:19:59 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2019, 09:17:06 PM

Fair enough imo, though I wasn't offended by it in the first place anyway.
+1.

Dougal Maguire

I wasn't offended either but I still think he was a cnut. In terms of comparison with McClean it's not the same as the poppy thing but if McClean was to snub the Union Jack at a match in England I'd think he was a cnut too.
Careful now

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 05, 2019, 11:21:52 PM
I wasn't offended either but I still think he was a cnut. In terms of comparison with McClean it's not the same as the poppy thing but if McClean was to snub the Union Jack at a match in England I'd think he was a cnut too.

The equivalence being drawn isn't with McClean and the poppy - McClean did the exact same thing in a pre-season match for West Brom a few years ago while GSTQ was playing, albeit I think it was in the US or Canada. (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/11750741/James-McCleans-snub-to-Englands-flag-was-disgraceful-if-he-hates-it-so-much-he-should-leave-the-Premier-League.html)

The only difference is general Lee thinks McClean is right to do it is because he's one of us and Mannus isn't because he's one of themmuns. Saying "yeah but us/McClean are the oppressed and Mannus' dude are three oppressors makes it different, so we're right" is absolute nonsense.

Maybe Mannus is privately outraged about all the times the gardai helped the Ra out over the years by facilitating murder of members of his community and continue to cover things up to this day. Would it be ok then?

Anyone outraged by this needs to have a word with themselves.

general_lee

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2019, 06:04:54 AM
The only difference is general Lee thinks McClean is right to do it is because he's one of us and Mannus isn't because he's one of themmuns. Saying "yeah but us/McClean are the oppressed and Mannus' dude are three oppressors makes it different, so we're right" is absolute nonsense.
Didn't realise I had my own spokesman! I don't ever remember supporting McClean for him doing that, but I guess you think cliftonville are wrong for not standing to attention for GSTQ? Just curious like.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on November 06, 2019, 09:34:43 AM
Didn't realise I had my own spokesman! I don't ever remember supporting McClean for him doing that, but I guess you think cliftonville are wrong for not standing to attention for GSTQ? Just curious like.

Nobody can  e stupid enough to support McClean/Cliftonville and criticise Mannus for doing less. Its not possible to be that dense.

general_lee

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 06, 2019, 09:59:01 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 06, 2019, 09:34:43 AM

Nobody can  e stupid enough to support McClean/Cliftonville and criticise Mannus for doing less. Its not possible to be that dense.
Yet McClean did get criticised, as did Cliftonville, whereas Mannus is somehow exempt.