Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: general_lee on November 06, 2019, 09:34:43 AM
I don't ever remember supporting McClean for him doing that

This was your original post on the matter in another thread:

QuoteFirst off, if Alan Mannus wants to be a **** he is well within his rights. We have seen previously he lacks class so no surprise here with his behaviour - just confirmation of the type of person he is. Just baffled what exactly has the Irish flag and anthem done to annoy him so much? Last time I check Ireland didn't invade/pillage/colonise/partition/occupy any part of Britain?

Now James Mcclean, and the west Brits don't seem to understand this, comes from a part of Ireland still under British occupation. So he does to a certain extent have some grievance with the English national anthem and Union Jack. While I personally would not have did what he did I certainly don't condemn him and it's quite a different scenario to Alan Annus

Pretty cut and dry. It's fine for McClean to do it because he has a grievance. Mannus is a **** because, to you, he has no legitimate grievance. What say you?

I guess you think cliftonville are wrong for not standing to attention for GSTQ? Just curious like.

Why on earth would you guess that?

Quote from: general_lee on November 06, 2019, 10:36:13 AM
Yet McClean did get criticised, as did Cliftonville, whereas Mannus is somehow exempt.

This is the whole f**king point. McClean got criticised, by a bunch of twats, and the vast majority of us here would disagree with that criticism. People who are saying Mannus is "exempt" from criticism would also apply that same exemption to McClean.

screenexile

Mannus and Cliftonville both deserve to be criticised.

James McClean is a separate issue.

Just stand for the anthem like a normal human being. Sport is full of athletes standing in respect of other anthems why make a big deal of it??

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2019, 11:02:05 AM

Just stand for the anthem like a normal human being. Sport is full of athletes standing in respect of other anthems why make a big deal of it??

How?! He did literally the exact same thing as Mannus.

general_lee

f**k me gallsman. Not condemning someone doesn't mean you support them. I know *why* McClean, a ra-head from the Creggan does the stuff he does. I understand the mindset, I share a lot of his views, just maybe not as explicitly. Seems you did at the the time too:
Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2015, 01:56:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2015, 01:39:24 PM
Stand as the rest did, normal,  None of the players sang it or put hand heart ... Most ain't English either. Make a proper statement by refusing to play for the English teams.... That would really put them in their place.... No wait...

The variable there is that (I assume) most of the others come from countries where the Brits didn't shoot civilians for fun.

On the other hand I don't buy Alan Mannus, ex Rangers/Linfield/NI player saying he wasn't sure of the protocol, in fact I think he was taking the piss with his subsequent interview on the matter. He can't be as stupid as he's trying to let on

gallsman

To be clear here, as you simply aren't getting this, I have absolutely no issue with McClean's actions whatsoever. Similarly I have absolutely no issue with Mannus doing the exact same thing.

Regardless of whether you buy Mannus' story or not, you have named him a **** for his actions. Those actions are the exact same as McClean's whose mindset and views you understand and share. The ONLY difference between them is that Mannus is from the other side of the fence.

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2019, 11:09:33 AM

Sorry I couldn't be arsed to look back through the last few pages I thought the poppy issue was being linked to bowing heads for an anthem.

Nobody should be bowing their head for an anthem just stand there and say nothing if you do anything else you're bringing the attention on yourself. Plenty of British lads have played for Ireland and stood through Amhran na bhFiann without a problem it's not that difficult and standing to show respect is not the same as supporting the country's military actions!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2019, 11:46:48 AM

Sorry I couldn't be arsed to look back through the last few pages I thought the poppy issue was being linked to bowing heads for an anthem.

Nobody should be bowing their head for an anthem just stand there and say nothing if you do anything else you're bringing the attention on yourself. Plenty of British lads have played for Ireland and stood through Amhran na bhFiann without a problem it's not that difficult and standing to show respect is not the same as supporting the country's military actions!

You do know he did exactly that - stood through the anthem...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on November 06, 2019, 10:36:13 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 06, 2019, 09:59:01 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2019, 06:04:54 AM
The only difference is general Lee thinks McClean is right to do it is because he's one of us and Mannus isn't because he's one of themmuns. Saying "yeah but us/McClean are the oppressed and Mannus' dude are three oppressors makes it different, so we're right" is absolute nonsense.
Didn't realise I had my own spokesman! I don't ever remember supporting McClean for him doing that, but I guess you think cliftonville are wrong for not standing to attention for GSTQ? Just curious like.

Nobody can  e stupid enough to support McClean/Cliftonville and criticise Mannus for doing less. Its not possible to be that dense.
Yet McClean did get criticised, as did Cliftonville, whereas Mannus is somehow exempt.

By you?

general_lee

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2019, 11:46:10 AM
To be clear here, as you simply aren't getting this, I have absolutely no issue with McClean's actions whatsoever. Similarly I have absolutely no issue with Mannus doing the exact same thing.

Regardless of whether you buy Mannus' story or not, you have named him a **** for his actions. Those actions are the exact same as McClean's whose mindset and views you understand and share. The ONLY difference between them is that Mannus is from the other side of the fence.
Nope it's not the only difference and I stand by me calling him a ****. If he came out and said "look, I'm not entirely comfortable with the tricolour and anthem, I'm from a unionist background etc etc I didn't set out to offend anyone" then yeah I'd accept it at face value, but he didn't, he had some watery excuse about not knowing what to do  ::) I'm not sure James McClean would come up with the same waffle about being "devastated"; he'd probably just give an honest answer.

And fwiw I think both would have been better off just swallowing their pride and facing the flag for the sake of a minute or two and no one would batt an eyelid

BennyCake

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2019, 11:46:48 AM

If a British player had a problem with the Irish flag/anthem, he wouldn't be declaring for Ireland in the first place.

Dougal Maguire

I wasn't aware of the West Brom/Canada:GSTQ incident. I can now confirm that in my opinion he was as big a cnut as Mannus for doing it. Cliftonville thing is different GSTQ shouldn't be played before events in NI just like it's not played in Scotland or Wales
Careful now

gallsman

I don't get this at all. Are people advocating that there should be a strict protocol for everyone to adhere to when an anthem is played?

Is Colin Kaeperknick a ****?

red hander

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 06, 2019, 01:58:52 PM

I wasn't aware of the West Brom/Canada:GSTQ incident. I can now confirm that in my opinion he was as big a cnut as Mannus for doing it. Cliftonville thing is different GSTQ shouldn't be played before events in NI just like it's not played in Scotland or Wales

The IFA had stopped playing it before Irish Cup finals a few years previously, and then lo and behold, the team with the biggest nationalist support in the Irish League get to the final and the IFA unilaterally decides to reintroduce it... (and they want to attract Catholics to support Are We A Country  ::)). Backfired big-time cos I couldn't hear it in the stand due to the amount of booing!

yewtree

It is long been recognized the sacrifices made in The Great War (1914-) and Second World War by Irish people in Ireland and Northern Ireland and now the poppy should be wore with pride.
This shunning of it belongs in the past let's move on and respect the fallen.
The Gaa needs to take the lead and show leadership and get GAA President and County Chairpersons to wear one at this time of year and reach out and be cross community.

Rossfan

Especially the Derry Chairman.
He could also wear it at the Bloody Sunday Commemoration. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM