Laois U20 Championship

Started by The Monument Road, October 06, 2019, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

You learn plenty about a player in these sort of situations. Some rise to the challenge and some don't. I doubt Sugrue started this just to have a kick about on a Saturday afternoon. The only harm done here is by a few eager young lads. Quirke would never have seen some of these lads but for the competition. That alone makes it worthwhile

ollie12

Quote from: High Fielder on October 21, 2019, 02:23:28 PM
You learn plenty about a player in these sort of situations. Some rise to the challenge and some don't. I doubt Sugrue started this just to have a kick about on a Saturday afternoon. The only harm done here is by a few eager young lads. Quirke would never have seen some of these lads but for the competition. That alone makes it worthwhile

Well said. And the new manager might not have seen a good few of the lads playing championship football this year so this  is their chance to show their worth.  Divisional games are a good idea but I just think they shouldn't clash with any other games so that everyone gets an opportunity to play.

Laois fan

I think all the lads in the A championship prioritized that comp over the divisional games which is good to see,maybe the lads couldnt get off work before we are too harsh on them

High Fielder

The circumstances are irrelevant. No U20 player should have played in the Divisional full stop. It wasn't necessary. As I write that, I'm aware that there's no Under 20 manager and the Minor manager has already been ridiculed. So maybe the players just wanted to attach themselves to something that looked half decent. I don't think they belonged there personally, and particularly not at the expense of their club side. As for the competition itself, there's nothing wrong with it. It was obviously popular with players and I'm sure Quirke was happy to see what's out there

ollie12

Why shouldn't u20's have played the divisional matches? I don't agree  with players missing club games over the divisional  games but why shouldn't u20's play these games?

Laoiseabu

The two players mentioned are only out of minor (u17 actually) . Would it not be more in their interests to play the u20 game and push on and maybe make the Laois u20 panel? Senior intercounty football is a bit of a jump for lads still only 18 and neither were on the u20 panel this year . Probably will be this year though .

High Fielder

Quote from: ollie12 on October 21, 2019, 03:32:29 PM
Why shouldn't u20's have played the divisional matches? I don't agree  with players missing club games over the divisional  games but why shouldn't u20's play these games?

Because we have an Under 20 team. That's enough for them. If they excel in that grade, they will get their chance. That has already been proven.

High Fielder

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 21, 2019, 03:42:54 PM
The two players mentioned are only out of minor (u17 actually) . Would it not be more in their interests to play the u20 game and push on and maybe make the Laois u20 panel? Senior intercounty football is a bit of a jump for lads still only 18 and neither were on the u20 panel this year . Probably will be this year though .

Exactly

Neutralobserver

Quote from: High Fielder on October 21, 2019, 03:21:50 PM
The circumstances are irrelevant. No U20 player should have played in the Divisional full stop. It wasn't necessary. As I write that, I'm aware that there's no Under 20 manager and the Minor manager has already been ridiculed. So maybe the players just wanted to attach themselves to something that looked half decent. I don't think they belonged there personally, and particularly not at the expense of their club side. As for the competition itself, there's nothing wrong with it. It was obviously popular with players and I'm sure Quirke was happy to see what's out there
Eddie kinsella according to laois today is new u20 manager

ollie12

And if a lad is on his last year u20 this year where will he get noticed ? He could be overage for county u20 next year. He'll be back playing club football with his  club in 2020 and I doubt many lads playing league football with their clubs will get noticed.  So for some chaps the divisional championships is the only opportunity  for them to impress management.

High Fielder

How many lads does that apply to in fairness? If you have someone in mind, say so. Otherwise we're getting into the realms of the unknown

ollie12

Ive nobody in mind and I don't know how many if any are in st the divisional matches at all but I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't say u20's shouldn't be allowed  play in it. It should be open for everyone thst is eligible  for senior football like it is.

Jd

Actually I think young Kinsella in courtwood might fit that bill. I think he's in his last year u20 now. So going back to the club next year I'd say Whelan in Ballyroan the same. So they need to be seen as they are there or thereabouts but were gone from championship before current man was appointed

High Fielder

I responded to this because it was said that lads played in the Divisional and not for their club. Without knowing why, I think that's getting your priorities wrong. We have an Under 20 grade so that should be their priority. They can play if they want or don't want. I really don't give two f##ks one way or the other. But you can't bypass Under 20 to play Senior, so it's questionable what they were hoping to achieve

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on October 21, 2019, 08:37:31 PM
Actually I think young Kinsella in courtwood might fit that bill. I think he's in his last year u20 now. So going back to the club next year I'd say Whelan in Ballyroan the same. So they need to be seen as they are there or thereabouts but were gone from championship before current man was appointed

Both obviously on the radar. Terrible examples. The whole county knows about them. They're hardly going to slip through the cracks, although I honestly feel both have a long way to go