The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Fitzpatrick seems like a very decent spud. Zalatoris some man for the majors
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

gawa316

17 greens in regulation...hard to argue with that

An Watcher

Some round by Leona Maguire last night.  So close to winning

Denn Forever

I see Sky count McIlroy as English.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

smort

::)

Imagine a young fella growing up in a mixed marriage in Northern Ireland in the 90s, being confused about his identity... Shocker

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 20, 2022, 01:41:48 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 20, 2022, 10:47:26 AM
I see Sky count McIlroy as English.
He may as well be.

Don't understand this. Why do you care? He feels Irish and British. So what?

straightred

Quote from: An Watcher on June 20, 2022, 06:40:18 AM
Some round by Leona Maguire last night.  So close to winning
switched over last night last to watch it.

She'll be sick. Kupcho missed a short eagle putt on the 1st playoff hole to let her back into it. She then hit an unbelievable hook shot using a fairway wood to get on in 2 but then missed a 2 foot putt to bring it to the next play off hole. Great performance though - only a matter of time before she wins a major

6th sam

Quote from: smort on June 20, 2022, 01:46:11 PM

Imagine a young fella growing up in a mixed marriage in Northern Ireland in the 90s, being confused about his identity... Shocker

Since you brought it up, and not that it should be relevant , but My understanding is that McIlroy was not from a "mixed marriage". Notably His uncle was an Armagh star of the 80s.  To understand McIlroy you have to put it into demographic context. There are several thousand "Catholics " in North Down, but only 1 GAA club, which was vandalised several times. There is no catholic grammar in Bangor/Holywood, so many Catholics attended the local state grammar schools. An elite sportsman such as McIlroy would presumably have been a popular student in Sullivan his local grammar, and like most Catholics in middle class North Down , suffered little discrimination and assimilated into the British/NI culture. Most of his childhood friends would come from that "NI" background, that's what he knows and he's obviously comfortable with . Who knows , but if was born ~20 miles down the road, like fellow North Down elite athlete, portaferry's  Ciara mageean , he may have wielded a hurl, and been more bought into Ireland as opposed to NI.
The point I'm making is that we are all a product of our environment and that should be respected . I'd love it if Rory was waving the tricolour on the podium , but that's not what he's comfortable with and I respect that. I'm just happy to savour a local lad , top of the world. He seems well grounded, and not afraid to speak his mind. He's committed to brilliant charity work, transforming lives, and he's loyal to his friends from childhood etc despite his jet set lifestyle . Can't wait to see him win another major and move from second back up to first in world rankings. Incredible talent.

smort

Quote from: 6th sam on June 20, 2022, 02:10:24 PM

Since you brought it up, My understanding is that McIlroy was not from a "mixed marriage". To understand McIlroy you have to put it into demographic context. There are several thousand "Catholics " in North Down, but only 1 GAA club, which was vandalised several times. There is no catholic grammar in Bangor/Holywood, so many Catholics attended the local state grammar schools. An elite sportsman such as McIlroy would presumably have been a popular student in Sullivan his local grammar, and like most Catholics in middle class North Down , suffered little discrimination and assimilated into the British/NI culture. Most of his childhood friends would come from that "NI" background, that's what he knows and he's obviously comfortable with . Who knows , but if was born ~20 miles down the road, like fellow North Down elite athlete, Ciara mageean , he may have wielded a hurl, and been more bought into Ireland as opposed to NI.
The point I'm making is that we are all a product of our environment and that should be respected . I'd love it Rory was waving the tricolour on the podium , but that's not what he's comfortable with and I respect that. I'm just happy to savour a local lad , top of the world. He seems well grounded, and not afraid to speak his mind. He's committed to brilliant charity work, transforming lives, and he's loyal to his friends from childhood etc despite his jet set lifestyle . Can't wait to see him win another major and move from second back up to first in world rankings. Incredible talent.

You said it 100x times better than I did. I agree entirely

Sportacus

Quote from: smort on June 20, 2022, 02:13:28 PM

Since you brought it up, My understanding is that McIlroy was not from a "mixed marriage". To understand McIlroy you have to put it into demographic context. There are several thousand "Catholics " in North Down, but only 1 GAA club, which was vandalised several times. There is no catholic grammar in Bangor/Holywood, so many Catholics attended the local state grammar schools. An elite sportsman such as McIlroy would presumably have been a popular student in Sullivan his local grammar, and like most Catholics in middle class North Down , suffered little discrimination and assimilated into the British/NI culture. Most of his childhood friends would come from that "NI" background, that's what he knows and he's obviously comfortable with . Who knows , but if was born ~20 miles down the road, like fellow North Down elite athlete, Ciara mageean , he may have wielded a hurl, and been more bought into Ireland as opposed to NI.
The point I'm making is that we are all a product of our environment and that should be respected . I'd love it Rory was waving the tricolour on the podium , but that's not what he's comfortable with and I respect that. I'm just happy to savour a local lad , top of the world. He seems well grounded, and not afraid to speak his mind. He's committed to brilliant charity work, transforming lives, and he's loyal to his friends from childhood etc despite his jet set lifestyle . Can't wait to see him win another major and move from second back up to first in world rankings. Incredible talent.

Very fair.  All the twisters will be working away on their comebacks, but I think you've nailed it.  Ireland is a complex place with a lot of micro identities.

trailer

Since you brought it up, and not that it should be relevant , but My understanding is that McIlroy was not from a "mixed marriage". Notably His uncle was an Armagh star of the 80s.  To understand McIlroy you have to put it into demographic context. There are several thousand "Catholics " in North Down, but only 1 GAA club, which was vandalised several times. There is no catholic grammar in Bangor/Holywood, so many Catholics attended the local state grammar schools. An elite sportsman such as McIlroy would presumably have been a popular student in Sullivan his local grammar, and like most Catholics in middle class North Down , suffered little discrimination and assimilated into the British/NI culture. Most of his childhood friends would come from that "NI" background, that's what he knows and he's obviously comfortable with . Who knows , but if was born ~20 miles down the road, like fellow North Down elite athlete, portaferry's  Ciara mageean , he may have wielded a hurl, and been more bought into Ireland as opposed to NI.
The point I'm making is that we are all a product of our environment and that should be respected . I'd love it if Rory was waving the tricolour on the podium , but that's not what he's comfortable with and I respect that. I'm just happy to savour a local lad , top of the world. He seems well grounded, and not afraid to speak his mind. He's committed to brilliant charity work, transforming lives, and he's loyal to his friends from childhood etc despite his jet set lifestyle . Can't wait to see him win another major and move from second back up to first in world rankings. Incredible talent.

Totally agree. Tony is the same f**k head who will moan "why won't they just unite with us?" Then fucks it all back in their face.

screenexile

Word is Brooks and Ancer are the next to join. Brooks is a very big name for them will the dam burst in the next while??

Tyrdub

Quote from: smort on June 20, 2022, 02:13:28 PM

+1  Well said sir