Anyone else took a Dander with Drennan?

Started by theskull1, August 05, 2008, 06:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Although the show is totally inoffensive to me and in a way mildly entertaining, I can't help but laugh at the effort he seems to go to to keep things on their side of the house and doesn't appear to want to recognize the very strong cultural similarity "his" music has with the Gaelic culture. Some very average musicians as well. What is it with this wee man? Too blind to see?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

nifan

I dunno - saw it once and we thought it was some sort of "mockumnetry" at first -very spinal tap.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Watched it last night, didn't know weither to laugh or cry - it was terrible.

"I'm a head'in on to Cullybackey now - but ye no me falks, I need a weeee bit o' music tae keep me go'in"
Que yer man sitting by a river playing (quite badly) a short piece on a whistle.

Also is he trying to create a "look" for the Ulster Scots with that daft looking (Amish) beard!  ::)
Tbc....

sam03/05

thought it was cringeworthy stuff
was he speaking Ulster Scots??

course he ended up in an orange hall playing flutes and Drums and looked like he knew what he was doing.

to be honest this programme shows Ulster Scots up for what they are - a bunch of complete idiots.

screenexile

Aree with the first post... it's completely inoffensive.

Just saw the scene with the 3 lads and the flute playing and it's awful stuff. I play a bit myself and I could teach kids to play better than those 3! But if this is what kind of entertainment the so called 'other side' wants then fair play I say. I'm totally indifferent to it.

Give be Blás Ceoil anyday. Some amazing musicians on that show!

screenexile

Jesus!

I just heard that song at the end "Dancin' tae tha fiddle".

If anyone can you have to watch it on BBC iplayer. It's on the last 3 minutes of the programme. Probably the worst song I ever heard!

Tony Baloney

Jumping on the bandwagon eh?! This is actually Series 2!

I watched most of it last night and have seen most if not all of the first series. I don't think there is any malice in what they are trying to achieve but they can't dress up the fact (or should that be "fect") that the language is non-existent and he simply speaks to everyone in a Ballymena accent. Which I can only assume is because he is from the Ballymena area.

theskull1

I found that one entertaining screenexile

A novelty tune in the same vein as  "the bog down in the valley-o"

The quality of the musicians would tell you enough about how many take it seriously. Mind seeing him playing in a field (yes I walked amongst the bretheren  8) sunglasses on so they couldn't tell) and a few Ulster Scots dancers were jumping to his tune up on the lorry trailer. I could have danced better. They were brutal

Doire abú

Watched a couple of episodes last month. I find it a petty funny show, the accent they have up around there is cringeworthy to begin with, but the fact he ties to claim it as a different language altogether takes the crigeworthiness rating to a whole new level.

I wouldn't say its an offensive show. Fair enough he may have played in an Orange hall and at a primay school that had two union jacks flying, but don't see why that'd annoy anyone watching.

Although what is the reason for flying 2 union jacks? Do all Protestant schools fly union jacks?

Tony Baloney

Quotethe accent they have up around there is cringeworthy to begin with

The Skull takes offence to you slegging his accent  ;)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 05, 2008, 10:17:59 AM
thought it was cringeworthy stuff
was he speaking Ulster Scots??

course he ended up in an orange hall playing flutes and Drums and looked like he knew what he was doing.

to be honest this programme shows Ulster Scots up for what they are - a bunch of complete idiots.

Of course he was, it's called a Ballymena accent.  ;D
Tbc....

nifan

The one i saw he was discussing shovels with a guy who made them.
There are 52 types of shovel :D

theskull1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 05, 2008, 10:55:49 AM
Quotethe accent they have up around there is cringeworthy to begin with

The Skull takes offence to you slegging his accent  ;)

Naw a dinny Tony ya wee daftie.  :D

Donagh

Quote from: nifan on August 05, 2008, 11:10:46 AM
The one i saw he was discussing shovels with a guy who made them.
There are 52 types of shovel :D

Wasn't the boy from Patterson's Spade Mill in Templepatrick by any chance?

nifan

Aye it was donagh., drennan did a bit of a song in the place after :D