Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holylandsniper

Quote2 Ciaran McKeever is a real leader a class act he should be our No 6 For years

A class act football wise yes, a great leader id say no as his temperament and tendency to stick knee/boot/fist into an opponent makes me think his leadership qualities aren't good. After all every great leader is a great role model. HOw many games out of 3 he play centre half back?

mackers

Yesterday, for the first time in 3 matches, I saw an Armagh midfielder do well, it's just he happened to be playing for the opposition.  Gareth O'Neill did his chances do harm at all yesterday.  If we take the sole exercise of the McKenna cup to be unearthing new players, then who has furthered their cause?
For me, Kevin O'Rourke,Gregory Loughran,Stefan Forker (in glimpses),Gareth O'Neill, Nippy Swift deserve a few outings in the League to prove themselves. The others are all young players, for example Brian McCone did much better yesterday, and another year will bring them on further.
Really feel we need to hit the ground running in the League as the "easier" matches are at the start with home matches to Cavan and Roscommon sandwiching an away trip to Mullingar. We would want some momentum for the visit of the Dubs and the Cork men and a Saturday night trip to Meath. Could do without a repeat of the last two league campaigns where we were constantly under the cloud of relegation.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

ardmhaca08

Quote from: mackers on January 14, 2008, 12:32:28 PM
If we take the sole exercise of the McKenna cup to be unearthing new players, then who has furthered their cause?
For me, Kevin O'Rourke,Gregory Loughran,Stefan Forker (in glimpses),Gareth O'Neill, Nippy Swift deserve a few outings in the League to prove themselves.

IMO martin ferris also deserves a chance. I still feel that Stefan lacks something needed to make it just yet at senior county level but just cant put my finger exactly on what it is. Gareth Oneill could make a great impact to armagh defence/midfield.

holylandsniper

Yes Gareth O'Neill a serious contender for a midfield spot, would like to see him play along side paul mc grance once or twice to see what happens then.  He is also an option at full forward where he Can cause a lot of bother for a full back if need be with the long ball option and the likes of Stevie around him to pick up the breaking ball.

Hank Everlast

i would also add gerard mccoy to the list of new lads to have impressed!
From watching the two games at lurgan a numbers of points i would make are that first of all those conditions will not have helped anyone trying to make an impact. 
I thought liam o hare did rightly yesterday as well as ferris. o'rourke and mckeever added alot of stability to the defence, however mcnulty has been shocking, he seems to have accected that his man will win every ball and then he will try and taclke him.  Every time the ball was played in his man was so far out in front that he had time to receive the ball, turn and get a bit of steam up running back to goals.
I think g loughran has been very good in his outings, i take it by the fact he wasnt on yesterday that he has done enuf to stay on the panel.
Mallon is also gunna be a big plus for us this year, a half forward who can carry the ball with speed at the defence is wat has been missing fro a wile.

Hank Everlast

Both teams lined out as follows...

Armagh: C McKinney, B Shannon, E McNulty, F Moriarty, C McKeever, A O'Rourke, M Ferris, M Quinn, B Donaghy, L O'Hare, P McGaughey (1-2), P McKeever (0-2, both frees), B McCone, S Forker (0-1), K O'Rourke (1-2, one free). Subs: G Reel for Mc Nulty, B Mallon for C Mc Keever, M O'Rourke for O'Hare, P Loughran for Quinn.

St Mary's: B Marron, G Smyth, M Digney,
K O'Boyle, M Murray, S O'Neill, B Og Maguire, N McVeigh (0-1), G 0' Neill (0-1), McGoldrick, K Niblock, J McCormack (1-0), R Hamill, M Pollock (0-1), P Carvill (0-6, five frees). Subs: P Keenan (0-1) for Hamill, S Donaghy for McCormack, L McQuade for McGoldrick.

mackers

Hank, I can see where you're coming from with your comments although what I would say is Enda has been poor over the last couple of League campaigns but seemed to up the performance in the Championship.
I should have included Gerard in the list earlier.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

ardmhaca08

So players should all know by tonite then who has made it and who hasn't. Should be interesting  ;D

illdecide

If the truth be told most of them will be expecting the chop although only a small few will do so. I wonder will he keep Austin (with the leg break)

Clans are entering the Ulster league this year, what about the rest of ya?? Is there  any other club teams in Armagh playing in it this year????? I personaly think its better than pre-season friendlys although sometimes the early travelling on a Sunday morning is a bit rough
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

David McKeown

I thought John Mc Cormack got a point as well yesterday.  He did well I thought considering it was his second match of the day albeit the first one was not a competitive fixture.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

bennydorano

Harps are entering the Ulster league, although personally I wouldn't bother with it.

Spiritof98

Have to disagree with you there Benny, although the competition is not the shinning light the Ulster Council wanted it to be, it gives you competitive games which are organised for you and a ref laid on for you, rather having to arrange friendlies that now have to go through Croke Park clearence and arrange your own official. Also gives the lads experience of playing clubs from other counties
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Candyman

ach spirit welcome back kid, is this just a flying visit??? ;)

Spiritof98

Aye just popped in to say hello, you still working hard I see!!!1 ;)
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Candyman