The Big Freeze!!!!

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, January 02, 2008, 07:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Met a guy today who told me that the weather in the next few days will be like 1963. He says that every year though, not that I can recall 1963. We really have it too easy here with that old tropical wind etc. Over on the continent or New York, now that is really cold at this moment. Met a guy who brought his Missus to Prague in November and couldn't walk 20 yards through fear of freezing to death. It's all balls here (warm ones) - we don't know what a winter is. The worst one I remember is 1979 .. football pools panel (who?) sitting every Saturday - matches postponed 30 times etc. They say we need a good old winter here to kill off them wasps / rats etc, but I don't think we're gonna get it this year. Can anyone recall the last decent snow we had here? (Please don't suggest that global warming bollix)

ziggysego

I thought that was only over in the UK. Is it hitting Ireland too? Crap...
Testing Accessibility

Gabriel_Hurl

The sun is splitting the trees here

It's still -10 degrees centigrade but if feels like -20 with the wind chill

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 02, 2008, 07:46:57 PM
Met a guy today who told me that the weather in the next few days will be like 1963. He says that every year though, not that I can recall 1963. We really have it too easy here with that old tropical wind etc. Over on the continent or New York, now that is really cold at this moment. Met a guy who brought his Missus to Prague in November and couldn't walk 20 yards through fear of freezing to death. It's all balls here (warm ones) - we don't know what a winter is. The worst one I remember is 1979 .. football pools panel (who?) sitting every Saturday - matches postponed 30 times etc. They say we need a good old winter here to kill off them wasps / rats etc, but I don't think we're gonna get it this year. Can anyone recall the last decent snow we had here? (Please don't suggest that global warming bollix)

I was in Prague in the middle of November and didn't find it any colder than Ireland..
Coldest place i ever was,was at a match in St James Park in Newcastle,England one November,I thought i was never gonna get the feeling back into my feet or hands,And there was some hard bastard Geordie in front of me wearing flip flops and a short sleeved Newcastle jersey
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stew

I have a few concerns here. To me it's always winter in Ireland, the feckin country is freezing half the time and the damp gets into your bones, is it any wonder that half of ye over there are kilt with arthritus?

Global warming is real hurler, it can and does mess with our weather patterns world wide? why do you say it is bollix?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2008, 08:26:46 PM

I was in Prague in the middle of November and didn't find it any colder than Ireland..
Coldest place i ever was,was at a match in St James Park in Newcastle,England one November,I thought i was never gonna get the feeling back into my feet or hands,And there was some hard bastard Geordie in front of me wearing flip flops and a short sleeved Newcastle jersey

If Newcastle is the coldest place you have ever been in you have not travelled much. Where I live the weather was a sunny 10 fareinheit yesterday and by midnight the temp had dropped to -10 with a wind chill of -20. To copmpare Newcastle with that kind of temperature is laughable.

By the way. Prague is far colder than Newcastle, London or any other place in Engerland.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: stew on January 02, 2008, 08:32:14 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2008, 08:26:46 PM

If Newcastle is the coldest place you have ever been in you have not travelled much. Where I live the weather was a sunny 10 fareinheit yesterday and by midnight the temp had dropped to -10 with a wind chill of -20. To copmpare Newcastle with that kind of temperature is laughable.

By the way. Prague is far colder than Newcastle, London or any other place in Engerland.

Prague may well be colder i never said it wasn't but i didn't find it that cold when i was there,and that's all i said.Im not saying Newcastle is the coldest place on earth i just remember that being as cold as i have ever felt..
Where or when did i compare Newcastle to other city's or where you live ??? I find it strange that you think it's laughable when i never made these comments,i was just giving a personal view of something i experienced..
And actually I  have travelled all over the world but mainly to hotter countries like Australia,Thailand,Vietnam,Singapore,Brazil,South Africa,Dubai,Egypt to name a few so less of the attitude please
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: stew on January 02, 2008, 08:32:14 PM

Where I live the weather was a sunny 10 fareinheit yesterday and by midnight the temp had dropped to -10 with a wind chill of -20. To copmpare Newcastle with that kind of temperature is laughable.

-20 Fahrenheit with wind chill? Where the feck are you Stew? Makes Toronto seem tropical!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Gabriel_Hurl

Green Bay - it was right and cold when I was down there - felt a lot colder than here

GalwayBayBoy

Coldest I have ever felt was at the club finals on Paddy's Day 2006. I swear I nearly had frostbite sitting there for the two matches.

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 02, 2008, 08:48:17 PM
Green Bay - it was right and cold when I was down there - felt a lot colder than here

Thats why the call it the frozen tundra. I have to take the two dogs out and no matter how many layers I put on the feckin cold just eats at you, any skin that is not covered up is covered in frost within three minutes. When it hit -100 a few years ago (wind chill assisted) I went out for thirty seconds just to see how bad it was. It was the most incredible experience. You can hardly breath within seconds of being exposed to the air and as for moving, it is painful to walk and all you want to do is curl up into a ball but if you do you would die in five minutes or less.

We have it cold alright but it is bright and sunny most of the time during the winter months. North and South Dakota are the coldest places in the states. In the Dakotas the temperature drops so much that the towns have you plug your batteries in at the parking meters. They will  have multiple days and prolonged spells where the actual temperature will be -30 or -40 and the wind chill will be -8- to -100.

Tyrones own

New Years Eve in the Bronx in 2000, -25 with the wind chill,
 never ever experienced anything like it where your face actually hurts within
 20 or 30 seconds of being out in it, how the homeless stay out in it is beyond me.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hurler on the Bitch

Did the Bronx in 91 at Christmas - lips were blue and the wind coming off the lakes was pure wicked. We do not know we are born. The thing is that I can handle the cold as you can wrap up and protect yourself but see this feckin mizzle ... there is no need in this place to wear a hat, unless you are a poser!!! However, Newcastle.... must say that I was in Edinburgh one January and it was like something that we have never experienced. Also .. Belfast is on the same line of latitude as Moscow... just shows you the influence of the Gulf Stream...

Square Ball

Quote from: stew on January 02, 2008, 09:10:12 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 02, 2008, 08:48:17 PM

Thats why the call it the frozen tundra. I have to take the two dogs out and no matter how many layers I put on the feckin cold just eats at you, any skin that is not covered up is covered in frost within three minutes. When it hit -100 a few years ago (wind chill assisted) I went out for thirty seconds just to see how bad it was. It was the most incredible experience. You can hardly breath within seconds of being exposed to the air and as for moving, it is painful to walk and all you want to do is curl up into a ball but if you do you would die in five minutes or less.

We have it cold alright but it is bright and sunny most of the time during the winter months. North and South Dakota are the coldest places in the states. In the Dakotas the temperature drops so much that the towns have you plug your batteries in at the parking meters. They will  have multiple days and prolonged spells where the actual temperature will be -30 or -40 and the wind chill will be -8- to -100.

as HOTB alludes to, god bless the Gulf Stream

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Agree with you re Edinburgh,Was there the same weekend we were in Newcastle they are only a couple of hours apart
You'll Never Walk Alone.