Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2022, 10:00:58 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on July 07, 2022, 07:50:53 AM
How we feeling for Saturday folks? And how on earth has Cassidy got this game. I thought we'd never see him again after that performance 2 years ago...

I think it will be a different type of game than the semi final, more like the 2nd half against Fermanagh with us getting a few more men behind the ball when they have possession. I think Westmeath look poor enough at the back bar their Full Back who looks like a top player. So I am going to say we can win by 2 or 3 points.

I think so too. One good thing from the semis is that it has tempered expectations a wee bit. We know that we won't walk this and have had things to work on, while Westmeath might also think they're a bit better than they are. Any other day we'd get a few goals out of all the chances we had, and can't see Westmeath getting so many of those chances they got. So for me, gives for a very even game. Faulkner will be back fit after playing while ill the last day, and rarely our defence has 2 bad games in a row. We have the forwards and can kick a high % of points. I'm nervously confident for this, we've had work to do the last few weeks, a 3rd game this year in Croker, so might see us doing the job. think we'll see it off by 3 too.

Dreadnought

https://twitter.com/CavanCoBoardGaa/status/1545518447710375937?t=slAkzrgNhi1ooaVjrgECjw&s=19

Team named. We're strong anyway. Holla on the bench, and we're decent there so have options. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Look-Up!

Very disappointing last Saturday. Westmeath had us well sussed out and got their matchups spot on. Much the more positive team in their approach to game and how they moved the ball. We on the other hand reverted to type- slow, unadventurous, risk adverse. Very casual in defense. In saying that we were in a good position before Galligan's brain fart as you'd expect at this level but very disappointing to see how we managed the game after that. Having no reliable free taker compounded matters of course but once again when it was put up to us our limitations were exposed. We didn't score for effectively the last 20mins and failed to make a sub after the red card for what was at least 10 minutes. Then we changed Moynagh for Fortune, which didn't really address the issues. Brought on 2 corner forwards for injury time and lumped a few balls in. Might have worked but in truth we didn't deserve any bit of luck that may have came.

Don't know what to say really or where to from here. Graham has given us some great days out and can have a bit of a flair for the big occasion and getting the matchups right, but equally when plan A falls flat there hasn't been anything I can see in the way of backup. I felt last year management weren't capable of developing the squad forward. 12 months on, and with a reshuffle and more autonomy on his part, I can't say I've changed my mind despite a few green shoots. 
If he stays or if we get someone in, and that's another gamble, I'd like to see some fresh blood in this team and a fire lit under it. We've lost our verve. Players who once made things happen have either left the panel, are injured or just playing it safe. And we need 20 lads up to speed and we need management to make the changes when needed, regardless of their name. If you don't perform your position should not be safe.
I ask myself what changes I would have made last weekend and in truth I haven't a clue. For the first time ever following Cavan I can't answer. We've seen so little of anyone else in any meaningful scenario. Team picks itself and has done for a long time. All the while failing badly in Division 3 and flapping in Division 4. I hope that at least dispels the nonsense that league doesn't matter.

Itchy

Almost a week on and I can only think now that we've gone backwards as a county since 2020 which is a huge disappointment to me given we have players who have shown they are better than that. I think it's time to freshen things up. Whether mickey decides to stay or go we need a serious tactical adjustment and I think Johnston and Ricey should definitely we jettisoned as both have failed miserably to improve our forward and defensive displays even at Div4 level this year. Personally I don't think either should have ever been brought in, especially Johnston who was poisonous in the camp as a player. I can imagine a number of players could hang up their boots now too, see Gearoid and Donna had a baby boy the other day so again big ask to commit again for gearoid. Martin reilly has young family too and is a man who gave everything. I'm sure there are others.

marty34

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 14, 2022, 01:09:53 PM
Very disappointing last Saturday. Westmeath had us well sussed out and got their matchups spot on. Much the more positive team in their approach to game and how they moved the ball. We on the other hand reverted to type- slow, unadventurous, risk adverse. Very casual in defense. In saying that we were in a good position before Galligan's brain fart as you'd expect at this level but very disappointing to see how we managed the game after that. Having no reliable free taker compounded matters of course but once again when it was put up to us our limitations were exposed. We didn't score for effectively the last 20mins and failed to make a sub after the red card for what was at least 10 minutes. Then we changed Moynagh for Fortune, which didn't really address the issues. Brought on 2 corner forwards for injury time and lumped a few balls in. Might have worked but in truth we didn't deserve any bit of luck that may have came.

Don't know what to say really or where to from here. Graham has given us some great days out and can have a bit of a flair for the big occasion and getting the matchups right, but equally when plan A falls flat there hasn't been anything I can see in the way of backup. I felt last year management weren't capable of developing the squad forward. 12 months on, and with a reshuffle and more autonomy on his part, I can't say I've changed my mind despite a few green shoots. 
If he stays or if we get someone in, and that's another gamble, I'd like to see some fresh blood in this team and a fire lit under it. We've lost our verve. Players who once made things happen have either left the panel, are injured or just playing it safe. And we need 20 lads up to speed and we need management to make the changes when needed, regardless of their name. If you don't perform your position should not be safe.
I ask myself what changes I would have made last weekend and in truth I haven't a clue. For the first time ever following Cavan I can't answer. We've seen so little of anyone else in any meaningful scenario. Team picks itself and has done for a long time. All the while failing badly in Division 3 and flapping in Division 4. I hope that at least dispels the nonsense that league doesn't matter.

Big thing was the sending off though. Literally it changed the game. Cavan were well in at that stage so I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

That run will have helped them in getting ready for Div. 3 in 2023. Get another player or two and a bit of S&C now until next year and go at it again.

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on July 15, 2022, 09:48:22 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on July 14, 2022, 01:09:53 PM

Big thing was the sending off though. Literally it changed the game. Cavan were well in at that stage so I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

That run will have helped them in getting ready for Div. 3 in 2023. Get another player or two and a bit of S&C now until next year and go at it again.

Yes they were in the game but were playing crap. Also, I'd expect a bit more even down to 14 players and it wasn't the extra man that allowed Martin to walk past 5/6 defenders to goal. Cavan have been poor  this year (and last).

Westside

I'm fairly happy with where we are at as an attacking unit. I think we have seen a huge improvement in this championship and it has been sustained since the Antrim game. We were too slow on Sunday but that looked to be a mix of a lethargy that affected us all over the field and a "patient game management" approach. Paddy Lynch has the quality to hold down that 14 position for years, James Smith if given time and coaching has the tools to be a real nuisance in there too. The supporting cast needs improvement but hopefully Caoimhin McGovern or Darragh Lovett could step in and contribute as a corner forward.

Defensively, we have been terrible. There doesn't seem to be the required work rate or hunger for making the game difficult for the opposition attack. Gunner may be gone after this year, Faulkner is now a full back who can be got at by average full forwards, Moynagh is a target for pacey forwards.. We need to get a new defensive unit together. Our attack isn't going to blow anyone away so we really need to be building our game on a mean defence.

I hope Graham stays. He has a knack of getting big championship performances. He's keeping a happy squad with low player turnover. Most importantly, he's a Cavan man and he has one eye on the future. He brings in young lads to blood them with a view to having them on the team a couple of years down the road. We don't want some big name short termer from outside the county who's looking to win a Division 2 title to justify his wages and doesn't care what happens to Cavan after his 3 years are up.

The lads put in a great year and deserve huge credit. Pity they couldn't have ended it with a bit more silverware but if they stick at it and keep knocking on the door, there will be more for them.

Itchy

I seldom disagree with you westside but I cannot agree that our forward unit is something to be happy about, especially when you consider we've been trying to be less defensive (more open at the back,) and more attacking.

Our scores this season, many against very poor opposition...

0-12  v Leitrim (4pt win)
0-17 v wexford (6pt win)
0-19 v Carlow (4 pt win)
1-13 v Sligo (6 pt win and lucky goal)
1-7 v Tipp (4pt loss)
1-15 v London (1pt win hanging on)
3-21 v Waterford (20 pt win)
2-10 v Tipp ( 1 pt win)

1-20 v Antrim (13 pt win)
0-16 v Donegal (6 pt loss)

0-24 v Down (9 pt win)
2-16 v Fermanagh (9 pt win)
0-20 v Sligo (3 pt win)
1-13 v Westmeath (4 pt loss)

Westside

I think a lot of those scores are reasonably impressive. A lot of the league was awful. We got leads, sat on them and went into "game management" mode. Since the start of the Championship we haven't dropped below 16 points, have got 20 or above in 4 games. Do we have the individual attackers to do much better? I don't think so.

I'm not saying it's perfect but I think that Lynch and Smith are giving us more of a shape than we have had before under Graham, Gearoid is still contributing as much as ever, Gerry Smith has become a dangerous attacking option. We still need someone like Mackey who can find the passes to unlock a massed defence. Our free taking isn't good enough. Overall i'm more positive about our attack than I was last year.

For me the real issue both last year against Wicklow and this year against Carlow, London, Sligo and Westmeath was the defence. Faulkner has got skinned in 4 of those games. But it's a bigger issue than Faulkner. Failure to put pressure on the ball out the field, failure to put in the hard yards to cover a run, taking the easy option and diving into tackles rather than making an honest effort to put pressure on the attacker.. It's been really poor.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on July 15, 2022, 02:25:47 PM
I think a lot of those scores are reasonably impressive. A lot of the league was awful. We got leads, sat on them and went into "game management" mode. Since the start of the Championship we haven't dropped below 16 points, have got 20 or above in 4 games. Do we have the individual attackers to do much better? I don't think so.

I'm not saying it's perfect but I think that Lynch and Smith are giving us more of a shape than we have had before under Graham, Gearoid is still contributing as much as ever, Gerry Smith has become a dangerous attacking option. We still need someone like Mackey who can find the passes to unlock a massed defence. Our free taking isn't good enough. Overall i'm more positive about our attack than I was last year.

For me the real issue both last year against Wicklow and this year against Carlow, London, Sligo and Westmeath was the defence. Faulkner has got skinned in 4 of those games. But it's a bigger issue than Faulkner. Failure to put pressure on the ball out the field, failure to put in the hard yards to cover a run, taking the easy option and diving into tackles rather than making an honest effort to put pressure on the attacker.. It's been really poor.

The defensive frailties are a result of committing more mem forward, reducing cover for faulkner and Gunner. Wed want to be regularly over 20 points a game and a few a goals to justify that and we simply aren't. I do not consider this a good year, we've been poor in both directions in my opinion.

Westside

I think that's oversimplifying it Itchy. We might have been more stable at the back with more cover but Faulkner and Gunner have frequently failed to even hold their own against only half decent forwards. Look at job the Sligo full back did on Paddy Lynch, when did we last see Faulkner wrap up a man like that? For Westmeath's goal we had loads of cover back there and they let him waltz his way through. Both Donegal goals weren't caused by lack of cover. We nearly lost the London game through sloppy defending. Same against Wexford. The only game I could point to that we lost because of a problem in attack was the Tipp game in the league.

If someone told me at the start of the year that we'd average over 20 points a game in the Championship and unearth a top quality forward, I'd bite their hand off.

Look-Up!

There's a serious rebuilding job coming up one way or another. Whether this management is up to the task is a big if. 4 years in and we barely have subs. If we're really honest, when it comes to the crunch, they don't trust our bench and use it very sparingly. Westside mentioned game management mode, getting your nose in front and containing the game. It's Division 4! If you're afraid to try something different here then you can forget about championship.
I think we've stagnated on the squad front and lost a few years. Management's hand will most likely be forced due to retirements. But I'd also worry some of the younger lads may be getting fed up with the huge inputs but lack of opportunity. If they are to turn this around a big shift in philosophy is required.   

Westside

Mickey also has to contend with a lack of talent coming through. After 2017 things fell off a cliff for us underage. McEvoy and McGovern were two of the best from the last few years and he was deprived of both of those after blooding them. Oisin Brady it seems can't stay fit. That's 3 lads that he clearly had his eye on including at the start of 2021 that he's deprived of.

I agree Look-Up there's a big rebuilding job coming. Personally I think Mickey could be up to it. I like the approach he's taken with young players. They've been usually included with lots of experience around them. He's successfully brought through Lynch, James Smith, Conor Brady. Cian Reilly and Oisin Brady have also been given their shot in big games under Graham.

You would hope that we will soon see the benefits of Andre Quinn and that the physical development of the U20s will allow them to slot into the senior squad with less of a transition period. Hopefully we will see the likes of Cian Reilly, Cormac McKeogh, Cathan Leddy come in and sure up our defensive options.

Look-Up!

Crosserlough v Gaels final. Should be a good indication of championship form. Mullahoran v Arva div 2. Div 3 Templeport v Drumalee. 

Look-Up!

Mullahoran Division 2 champions via penalty shootout and Templeport win Division 3.

Big game in Crosskeys Sunday, a precursor for the first round of the championship.

Should make for a great game. Both teams you'd imagine will be pretty much full strength and looking to make waves later on in year. No better way to start a campaign than picking up a bit of silverware. Nice crowd should be expected and make for a cosy atmosphere.

Championship first rounds for next month
Bridge v Laragh
Xlough v Gaels
Lavey v Lacken
Mullahoran v Ballinagh
Gowna v Killygarry
Kingscourt v Ramor

Some tidy match ups in there.