Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: tiempo on May 26, 2022, 05:03:08 PM
Or... and don't shoot me for suggesting this... can ETH not come in, spend no money and work with/improve the players at his disposal? Is spunking more money at the situation the answer when there are players in situ who are clearly very good players. The Man Utd model of throwing good money after bad is broken, how about biting the bullet and working with the players already assembled at insane cost to change the culture and fortunes of the club?

Utd have in effect a 38 game season next year, and for that they need a squad of 18-20 first team players, cup games are for the fringe lads number 16 onwards, with academy players getting their chance in the cups too, and then bounce off the Juve/Liverpool models, look for out of contract stars and value signings from the lower half of the PL, they need to put a stop to the chronic overspend on transfers and wages, whether they have it or not, its not a healthy model

I mentioned this previously, you'd expect a good chance to come in and get a tune out of a good few players he probably has no interest in keeping.

A lot of talk of De Jong but as it stands United don't have a naturally defensive midfielder who can protect the back 4, can't pretend to have much of an idea of how his Ajax team set up apart from they were similar to what Pep does. 

I'd expect a couple of lesser signings to come in this summer who can fit his system before been upgraded next summer should things go to plan; Klopp did the same in his first summer. I'm interested to see what he does with Maguire, he won't hang around if he's not first choice unlike some others who are happy to take the wages so wouldn't rule him out leaving this summer.

United likely to find out what's happening with Greenwood in next few weeks so imagine they won't make any moves for attacking players until they know his fate. 

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 27, 2022, 10:28:22 AM
Or... and don't shoot me for suggesting this... can ETH not come in, spend no money and work with/improve the players at his disposal? Is spunking more money at the situation the answer when there are players in situ who are clearly very good players. The Man Utd model of throwing good money after bad is broken, how about biting the bullet and working with the players already assembled at insane cost to change the culture and fortunes of the club?

Utd have in effect a 38 game season next year, and for that they need a squad of 18-20 first team players, cup games are for the fringe lads number 16 onwards, with academy players getting their chance in the cups too, and then bounce off the Juve/Liverpool models, look for out of contract stars and value signings from the lower half of the PL, they need to put a stop to the chronic overspend on transfers and wages, whether they have it or not, its not a healthy model

I mentioned this previously, you'd expect a good chance to come in and get a tune out of a good few players he probably has no interest in keeping.

A lot of talk of De Jong but as it stands United don't have a naturally defensive midfielder who can protect the back 4, can't pretend to have much of an idea of how his Ajax team set up apart from they were similar to what Pep does. 

I'd expect a couple of lesser signings to come in this summer who can fit his system before been upgraded next summer should things go to plan; Klopp did the same in his first summer. I'm interested to see what he does with Maguire, he won't hang around if he's not first choice unlike some others who are happy to take the wages so wouldn't rule him out leaving this summer.

United likely to find out what's happening with Greenwood in next few weeks so imagine they won't make any moves for attacking players until they know his fate.
Again, who will want Maguire unless he takes a huge pay cut? And will the Glazers let an £80m player go for what will likely be peanuts?

Have a strong feeling Greenwood won't be charged but even so will United want the bad press of him playing again for the club?

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2022, 10:25:49 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 26, 2022, 04:46:40 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 26, 2022, 04:36:45 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 26, 2022, 01:49:44 PM
The elephant in the room is Ronaldo.  The team was limited but looked a much better unit then Ronaldo arrives and the whole thing goes tits up.  A coincidence?  He obviously still scores goals but at what cost was his signing to the team dynamic and spirit?
Total bollox. Yeah Ronaldos the problem. The ultimate professional surrounded by ar5eholes yet the best player off the last decade is the issue. Jesus wept.

Jesus wept indeed. Its a discussion board and we all can have views. Because my tuppence worth is different to your insight doesn't make it bollix.

But you haven't give any tuppence worth? You're talking about other players and blah blah but what is it that you know that has made Ronaldo cause the decline?  2nd last year to 6th? I'm not sure how Ronaldo affects Maguire Fernandez (international teammates) and the rest?

I'd love to know and please don't quote Jamie

Eh, i have.  I'm giving a view as to what could have caused the issues, that's all. Of course i don't know if it was the reason, any more so than anyone else here, and apologies if i hurt anyone's feelings towards Ronaldo.  What's your view on why Man u have fallen back so badly this season?
That's just, like your opinion man.

thewobbler

Here's the thing. Within changing rooms, at the start of a season, most football teams suffer from a little delusion around what they're capable of doing i.e. what they might win if they all played to the max of their abilities every single week. But once things get going, within same changing rooms there's usually a clear realism about where the bar really lies.

Why Ronaldo poses a problem for United is simple enough. The majority of that United squad have been en situ long enough to know the reality vs the expectation of their squad. And that same group will have known from early this season that the addition of Ronaldo wasn't going to extend the bar for their squad. Scoring goals hasn't been an issue for Man Utd for as long as anyone can remember.

So same squad members, before long, have to ponder why their club is paying him such an outrageous wage, why their club is so willing to give him exemptions from games and/or training, and why half their fans are only turning up to watch one player.

——

If the highest paid players in a changing room are demonstrably better, these situations don't arise.

Man Utd were flailing in the water over this problem the previous few seasons with Pogba. Thor solution was to add more water, in Ronaldo.

Look-Up!

Quote from: thewobbler on May 27, 2022, 03:48:06 PM
Here's the thing. Within changing rooms, at the start of a season, most football teams suffer from a little delusion around what they're capable of doing i.e. what they might win if they all played to the max of their abilities every single week. But once things get going, within same changing rooms there's usually a clear realism about where the bar really lies.

Why Ronaldo poses a problem for United is simple enough. The majority of that United squad have been en situ long enough to know the reality vs the expectation of their squad. And that same group will have known from early this season that the addition of Ronaldo wasn't going to extend the bar for their squad. Scoring goals hasn't been an issue for Man Utd for as long as anyone can remember.

So same squad members, before long, have to ponder why their club is paying him such an outrageous wage, why their club is so willing to give him exemptions from games and/or training, and why half their fans are only turning up to watch one player.

——

If the highest paid players in a changing room are demonstrably better, these situations don't arise.

Man Utd were flailing in the water over this problem the previous few seasons with Pogba. Thor solution was to add more water, in Ronaldo.
All very true wobbler but I think the problems started with Sanchez, a mindbogglingly stupid piece of business. It kicked Pogba off (not that he'd need much coaxing I'd imagine) and pissed off Mourinho IMO.

HiMucker

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 27, 2022, 10:53:49 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 27, 2022, 10:28:22 AM

Again, who will want Maguire unless he takes a huge pay cut? And will the Glazers let an £80m player go for what will likely be peanuts?

Have a strong feeling Greenwood won't be charged but even so will United want the bad press of him playing again for the club?
I can't imagine Greenwood ever kicking a ball again for united regardless of the outcome of his trial.

Armamike

Quote from: thewobbler on May 27, 2022, 03:48:06 PM

——

It's an end sum game.  Does it really matter a jot who scores the goals if the total is more or less the same? With Ronaldo have Man U scored more goals this season than last and has that translated into more wins and points?  That's all that really matters, not whether Ronaldo gets 20 goals.  Before anyone has a melt down, that's not disputing Ronaldo's abilities as as player. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armamike on May 27, 2022, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2022, 10:25:49 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 26, 2022, 04:46:40 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 26, 2022, 04:36:45 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 26, 2022, 01:49:44 PM
The elephant in the room is Ronaldo.  The team was limited but looked a much better unit then Ronaldo arrives and the whole thing goes tits up.  A coincidence?  He obviously still scores goals but at what cost was his signing to the team dynamic and spirit?
Total bollox. Yeah Ronaldos the problem. The ultimate professional surrounded by ar5eholes yet the best player off the last decade is the issue. Jesus wept.

Jesus wept indeed. Its a discussion board and we all can have views. Because my tuppence worth is different to your insight doesn't make it bollix.

But you haven't give any tuppence worth? You're talking about other players and blah blah but what is it that you know that has made Ronaldo cause the decline?  2nd last year to 6th? I'm not sure how Ronaldo affects Maguire Fernandez (international teammates) and the rest?

I'd love to know and please don't quote Jamie

Eh, i have.  I'm giving a view as to what could have caused the issues, that's all. Of course i don't know if it was the reason, any more so than anyone else here, and apologies if i hurt anyone's feelings towards Ronaldo.  What's your view on why Man u have fallen back so badly this season?

They been shit for a few seasons now, haven't won a trophy since Jose was manager and players throwing toys out of the pram.

The failure lies squarely at the team and management.. if one particular player has caused it as you're assuming I'd like to know what it is? If you have no idea and just listening to others then that's fine.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Rangnick has left the club completely now...

Armamike

Ten Hag has got his first call right. Off to a good start with that one. Last thing he needed was Rangnick hanging about.

screenexile

Basket case of a club!!!

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 30, 2022, 12:28:59 PM
Rangnick has left the club completely now...

Such a Man Utd thing. The club is being run by idiots.

Armagh18

Whoever is behind the social media needs sacked. Fawning over Pogba who absolutely stole a wage since joining

trailer

United linked with Paul Pogba

Farrandeelin

Will Utd wait till the last few days of the transfer window to get a player or two in?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.