Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2022, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on January 11, 2022, 09:23:24 AM
I think VAR would still be looking for something to disallow that goal if Cavani didnt fall to the floor.

That being said, if ya dont take your chances and punish the poor opposition then you deserve nothing.  Can Utd be as poor as that in the league at the weekend? I'd be surprised.  John McGinn will be a miss for Villa as he's suspended.  Hopefully Coutinho is available.

The young lad who came on and played on the left showed more desire in about 5 mins football than Rashford did all evening.

Utd are a disjointed outfit to say the least.

Their midfield is overrun in every game I've saw so far this year and McTominay is getting MOTM awards on the strength of his last gasp defending and scoring the odd goal now and then. It's nothing spectacular TBH..

Very selfish play up the top end by them all, Rashford, Greenwood, Fernandez and Our Lord and Saviour Christianaldo.. Cavani seems to be more team orientated but he's gone in the summer if he can't get out in the next week or two..

You'd fear for this team in the short to medium term as there doesn't seem to be any unity in the camp irrespective of who's managing them.

I understand, you score the winning goal and you usually get MOTM, but he was pretty anonymous from about the 20th minute onwards. 

snoopdog

Blaming Ronaldo is idiotic. He is scoring goals. If other players can't raise their game to play alongside Ronaldo then that's their fault. These guys are supposed to be professional footballers getting paid a fortune yet they act like spoilt brats, always looking to blame someone else.
Ronaldo is not the problem.

johnnycool

I could stand corrected but United looked to have gotten their shít together at the end of last season and had put together and good run to the end of the campaign where bigger things have been expected of them but it hasn't materialised evidently, so saying Ronaldo isn't the issue is only half an answer as I'm saying he hasn't improved anything and if anything is a distraction.

There are other issues at play, but can any of you Utd fans really tell me things have improved with Ronaldo in the team?

stiffler

This time last year a Ronaldo-less Man Utd were top of the league.

It would be difficult to argue that he has improved the team based on this years showing.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

johnnycool

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 10, 2022, 10:02:05 PM
A win and clean sheet. Far from convincing performance. Villa performed better tonight than their win against United in Old Trafford earlier this season.

Both VAR decisions was correct and Shearer and Lineker complaining about using VAR in the FA Cup  ::)

Shearers point on VAR only being available at Premiership grounds only and not at all the other grounds is a valid point and IMO he's right on that one. All games have it or none.

He got himself mixed up a bit on the Hull v Everton game in saying that if it had of been in operation there Hull wouldn't have been put out. Everton were denied two obvious hand ball/ penalties due to lack of VAR but the original point stands.

thewobbler

Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2022, 12:33:00 PM
A win and clean sheet. Far from convincing performance. Villa performed better tonight than their win against United in Old Trafford earlier this season.

Both VAR decisions was correct and Shearer and Lineker complaining about using VAR in the FA Cup  ::)

Shearers point on VAR only being available at Premiership grounds only and not at all the other grounds is a valid point and IMO he's right on that one. All games have it or none.

He got himself mixed up a bit on the Hull v Everton game in saying that if it had of been in operation there Hull wouldn't have been put out. Everton were denied two obvious hand ball/ penalties due to lack of VAR but the original point stands.

I don't understand this perspective.

When you're playing a match it's against an opponent. It's not against the rest of the field. So long as both opponents in each match enjoy/endure the same refereeing approach during that match, and the winner is a fair winner, then what concern is this for the rest of the field?

Really one would have to assume that PL affiliated referees are of a higher standard than EFL referees. By allying your logic, is it fair that 16-20 games in R3 enjoy top class officiating, while the rest of the matches just have to make do?

Taylor

But what difference does it make if it is there or not?

It shouldnt benefit either team which means it is a level playing field.

Now Im sure players will push the line a bit more when it isnt there but both teams can do that.

Hard to understand what point is being made apart from crying about VAR.

Should we say that the GAA shouldnt use Hawkeye because it isnt there for all county championship games?

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on January 11, 2022, 12:38:22 PM

When you're playing a match it's against an opponent. It's not against the rest of the field. So long as both opponents in each match enjoy/endure the same refereeing approach during that match, and the winner is a fair winner, then what concern is this for the rest of the field?

Really one would have to assume that PL affiliated referees are of a higher standard than EFL referees. By allying your logic, is it fair that 16-20 games in R3 enjoy top class officiating, while the rest of the matches just have to make do?

Human error is a given in any decision making process but there's no way that the AV goal last night would have been overturned but for VAR. The onfield decision was goal and if it wasn't at a premier league ground it would have stood.

Swings and roundabouts I hear you say but if you want to have a standardised process then the rules need to be the same and that's not evidently the case when VAR is used irrespective if the referee is PL grade or not. They're applying the same rules but not when VAR is in use in some games and not others.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2022, 12:46:08 PM

Human error is a given in any decision making process but there's no way that the AV goal last night would have been overturned but for VAR. The onfield decision was goal and if it wasn't at a premier league ground it would have stood.

Swings and roundabouts I hear you say but if you want to have a standardised process then the rules need to be the same and that's not evidently the case when VAR is used irrespective if the referee is PL grade or not. They're applying the same rules but not when VAR is in use in some games and not others.

I agree that VAR should be across the board in a competition or not used at all. The only thing that it throws up for me is how a ref makes decisions when he has VAR. A lot of times they let it run and check it after so they'll not make the decision straight away as they might have done with no VAR. United got away with one last night but I can't see what the argument was against the actual foul.

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on January 11, 2022, 01:17:51 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2022, 12:46:08 PM

I agree that VAR should be across the board in a competition or not used at all. The only thing that it throws up for me is how a ref makes decisions when he has VAR. A lot of times they let it run and check it after so they'll not make the decision straight away as they might have done with no VAR. United got away with one last night but I can't see what the argument was against the actual foul.

There was no foul until VAR spent 3 plus minutes looking at it and then had to call the referee over.

No VAR and that goal stood if the game wasn't played in a Premier league ground.

lurganblue

Cavani runs into the lad and falls, because he knows he isnt gonna get to Konsa.  He's chosen the wrong angle.   Ramsey does little more than stand there.  It's soft as f*ck and you'd not want that decision to go against your own team.  The sad fact is that if the rolls were reversed, that goal stands for Utd. It would barely be examined.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stiffler on January 11, 2022, 12:22:43 PM
This time last year a Ronaldo-less Man Utd were top of the league.

It would be difficult to argue that he has improved the team based on this years showing.

I'd agree with that if this was an individual sport, but there are 10 other players plus subs to come on that have input into the game, now unless Ronaldo has come in and changed the training dynamic then yes, but is there evidence of this?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Onthe40

as I said on here before I just don't see what Rafnick is trying to do, under Carrick and even under solskjaer (yes I know there were several shocking peformances) Utd were playing some decent spells of football and were in the main watchable.. over their last 5-6 games they have been truly awful, unwatchable, incapable of stringing 10 consecutive passes together, he talks about this press yet Wolves and Villa completely played through them with a sheer lack of tackling and press..

is this guy a fraudster?

And coupled with all that... there seems to be zero team unity and playing for each other..

Utd at the moment are probably the worst footballing side in the premier league in terms of watchability

Ghost

Quote from: lurganblue on January 11, 2022, 01:43:37 PM
Cavani runs into the lad and falls, because he knows he isnt gonna get to Konsa.  He's chosen the wrong angle.   Ramsey does little more than stand there.  It's soft as f*ck and you'd not want that decision to go against your own team.  The sad fact is that if the rolls were reversed, that goal stands for Utd. It would barely be examined.

Ramsey is offside, he's interfering with an active player. Foul or no foul he has no right to be making any sort of block.

NAG1

Quote from: Ghost on January 11, 2022, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on January 11, 2022, 01:43:37 PM

Ramsey is offside, he's interfering with an active player. Foul or no foul he has no right to be making any sort of block.

It's a set screen play, many a time is gets going but in this case it was picked up. Doesnt change the fact he knew exactly what his role in that set play was and he carried it out and blocked Eddie off.

Lucky to get the call for sure.