Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Bank of England steps in. Further humiliation for Truss & Kwasi. When the dust settles it should at least stabilise things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63056188

yellowcard

A lot of the damage has been done by Brexit but that won't get mentioned by lots of right wing media. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig and the UK has been in a sinking downward spiral ever since that momentous day. The ERG led Tories enabled by a cabal of billionaire media moguls have exacerbated things further by putting their own self interests before that of the country as a whole. It's irreversible now though and they have left behind a deeply divided country both culturally and economically. Economies worldwide are likely to go into deep recession for a few years but few will have fallen or taken as much of a credibility bump as the UK. It could all turn very nasty for the Tory party if the people start revolting when the harsh economic reality bites for more and more people.   

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Kidder81

Truss had actually built up some goodwill with the energy price package for households

keep her low this half

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 28, 2022, 01:03:07 PM
Truss had actually built up some goodwill with the energy price package for households
See how long that lasts when it is wiped out by rising mortgages, all so the bankers can get their bonuses and pay less tax on it!!

johnnycool

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 28, 2022, 01:03:07 PM

No she hadn't.

You and I are going to be paying for it over many years when the obvious answer was to tax the huge profits in the energy sector.

not only did she let them away scot free, she also allowed the opening up of more oil and gas exploration in the North Sea and fracking in England with some bullshit excuse about energy security when every man and his dog knows that this will be sold on the global market with SFA going towards the UK ordinary Joe.

The Germans nationalise their power companies, the French already had theirs nationalised but Truss and Co double down on their free market ideology which is screwing the UK businesses and consumers to the absolute wall.

imtommygunn

Quote from: yellowcard on September 28, 2022, 12:44:50 PM
A lot of the damage has been done by Brexit but that won't get mentioned by lots of right wing media. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig and the UK has been in a sinking downward spiral ever since that momentous day. The ERG led Tories enabled by a cabal of billionaire media moguls have exacerbated things further by putting their own self interests before that of the country as a whole. It's irreversible now though and they have left behind a deeply divided country both culturally and economically. Economies worldwide are likely to go into deep recession for a few years but few will have fallen or taken as much of a credibility bump as the UK. It could all turn very nasty for the Tory party if the people start revolting when the harsh economic reality bites for more and more people.   

I would fully expect civil unrest tbh.

Fionntamhnach I would agree with everyone you say there. Does anyone think these people wouldn't have known the impact that budget would have? They are far from stupid - they are as rotten a government as you could get. This is just the money side - all workers rights are looking to be stripped for striking etc and then there's the human rights side they're trying to strip down too. Rotten.

trailer

f**k me you'd think we were all going to be living on the streets starving to listen to some of the nonsense here. Disaster capitalism, right wing think tanks. Log off for a while lads.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on September 28, 2022, 02:02:05 PM
f**k me you'd think we were all going to be living on the streets starving to listen to some of the nonsense here. Disaster capitalism, right wing think tanks. Log off for a while lads.
You must be sitting comfortably. How are people going to pay mortgages/rents that are going to go through the roof? Let alone gas/oil/electric bills that are soaring as wel.

yellowcard

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 28, 2022, 02:09:39 PM

Quote from: trailer on September 24, 2022, 06:32:46 PMThis is a good budget for intelligent people.
Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2022, 09:23:40 AMTurn off the news. It'll be ok.

Fingers in the ears stuff. It brings to mind the time Boris came over and told the business leaders to bin the Brexit customs forms and that there would be no checks. Just forget about it and it will all go away!

toby47

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 28, 2022, 02:10:29 PM
You must be sitting comfortably. How are people going to pay mortgages/rents that are going to go through the roof? Let alone gas/oil/electric bills that are soaring as wel.

People feeling the squeeze already & winter hasn't even hit. Never mind the people coming out of fixed term mortgages who are going to be crippled by payments, or landlords coming out of fixed terms/variable mortgages who will have to skyrocket rent.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Its going to cost me a lot more, so give over will you, empathy not your thing, i cant remember this gloom since early 80s

imtommygunn

Ah so hundreds of pounds a month additional outgoings will be grand for everyone so.

lenny

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2022, 02:25:43 PM

Ah so hundreds of pounds a month additional outgoings will be grand for everyone so.

If everyone is having to find a few hundred extra each month I could see quite a few having to hand big cars/jeeps back to go for more affordable options. My monthly payments aren't too bad and I don't intend to change car for a while. Some of those big range rovers/jags/Porsches though must have massive monthly payments.

toby47

In 2 years - Diesel has went from £1.14 a litre to £1.80(ish)
Heating oil £0.25/litre to £1
Bag of coal from £5.50 to £17

The jump in the month figure of those 3 increases alone in my house is scary. Well over £300 a month extra on diesel alone for me & the wife. On top of everything else, the extra cost of electric, the shopping bill gone through the roof, the cost of a few pints/night out etc. Thankfully we are in a decent position  at the moment, however if a recession kicked in & god forbid, one of us lost our jobs, it would be panic. Average people are really starting to feel the squeeze, never mind people on low incomes & single parents, I hear conversations at work of people getting it really tough at the moment, it's happening.