Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2022, 07:42:33 AM
I'd pertain (and to my own surprise) that this season is the most successful and well received iteration of the AI B championship in history.

So anyone wanting to f**k with a format that has delivered needs a long spell in a dark room.

It has nearly done well in spite of itself, the way they launched it, and the rules that came out last minute. The format for this year is a once off, so won't happen like this again. They already will change it from next year onwards. And it does need tweaks. the North/South divide has to go. There's no basis for it.

thewobbler

There is some basis for it though. For the competition to be successful, the players have to want to win it. Bigger crowds is perhaps the single most important key to that, and the overwhelming majority of county supporters are not going to traipse the length of Ireland for a first round Tailteann game.

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 21, 2022, 08:03:22 AM
I'd pertain (and to my own surprise) that this season is the most successful and well received iteration of the AI B championship in history.

So anyone wanting to f**k with a format that has delivered needs a long spell in a dark room.

It has nearly done well in spite of itself, the way they launched it, and the rules that came out last minute. The format for this year is a once off, so won't happen like this again. They already will change it from next year onwards. And it does need tweaks. the North/South divide has to go. There's no basis for it.

What rules came out last minute?  The entire format was announced last December, I believe.

Dreadnought

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 21, 2022, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 21, 2022, 08:03:22 AM

What rules came out last minute?  The entire format was announced last December, I believe.

Was the North South split known about in December? My mistake if it was, it just seemed to be sprung last minute

Hound

More games is what the Tailteann teams want. More time together, playing championship games against teams at their own level (I.e. games they can win) and in quick succession.

Sure, the round robin will have some downsides, but it will still be a big step up on league - and for most of these teams the league was the highlight of their year.

Andy Moran was also adamant that playing the semis in Croker is a big carrot and should definitely be kept.

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2022, 08:12:01 AM
There is some basis for it though. For the competition to be successful, the players have to want to win it. Bigger crowds is perhaps the single most important key to that, and the overwhelming majority of county supporters are not going to traipse the length of Ireland for a first round Tailteann game.
Semi and final attendances are more important
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on May 09, 2022, 09:05:41 PM
From the GAA Master Fixture List 2022, published Dec 2021, as regards the Tailteann Cup (look at second bullet point):

• The Championship shall be played on a knock-out basis.
• Round 1 and the Quarter Finals shall be organised on a geographical basis with Northern and Southern Sections.
• The Central Competitions Control Committee shall decide on an annual basis which Counties shall be included in each Section.
• The Draws shall be conducted by the Central Competitions Control Committee.
• A Preliminary Round may be played if there are more than 16 eligible teams.
• New York, will enter the competition at the Quarter-Final stage.
• All games will be winner on the day.

For doubting Dreadnought...see date published as Dec 2021.

Or you could look it up.

Cavan19

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 21, 2022, 09:04:32 AM
From the GAA Master Fixture List 2022, published Dec 2021, as regards the Tailteann Cup (look at second bullet point):

• Round 1 and the Quarter Finals shall be organised on a geographical basis with Northern and Southern Sections.
• The Central Competitions Control Committee shall decide on an annual basis which Counties shall be included in each Section.

Or you could look it up.

It may have been published but it was not well known about even the Sligo manager after they exited the championship spoke about the Tailtean cup and a few group games.

Dreadnought

Or you could look it up.

Not many recall that. Many managers and boards had no clue about it. A December release seems like the weekend graveyard news releases that governments use to hide bad news. It clearly didn't get the attention in a winter month and run up to Christmas

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 21, 2022, 09:29:39 AM

Or you could look it up.

Not many recall that. Many managers and boards had no clue about it. A December release seems like the weekend graveyard news releases that governments use to hide bad news. It clearly didn't get the attention in a winter month and run up to Christmas

It was in the Master Fixture List for 2022.

People didn't bother checking the rules until they were in the competition, and some managers didn't know the rules when making comments, just like a lot of posters here.  Hardly the fault of HQ, but I suppose they could have held a TV discussion featuring said Master Fixture List.  But they'd probably do it as gaeilge ar TG4.

armaghniac

They should just have said "two geographical groups", which would probably still be North-South but could be East-West and some shuffling could be done 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Unless the Counties kick up at CC the divide will no doubt be in again next year in the Groups.
Mod...some posters give the impression that changing it to Groups next year was only decided in the last few days ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cavan19

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2022, 11:42:01 AM
Unless the Counties kick up at CC the divide will no doubt be in again next year in the Groups.
Mod...some posters give the impression that changing it to Groups next year was only decided in the last few days ::)

Aren't you so smart..

sligoman2

The Sligo v Cavan game was very enjoyable and (in fairness) the best team won.  We struggled around the middle getting possession, we need a big man in there with good hands as Cavan caught way too many balls easily.  However, I thought our backs play exceptionally well,  Evan Lyons had a brilliant game and is definitely a name to watch.

Our missed chances obviously cost us and the fact that we conceded the first 6 scored didn't help. I am optimistic for the future, there's some really good young talent on this team, and some great prospects in the pipeline.  We need to get out of Division 4 this year and get back on track.

Overall, the Tailteann cup has been very enjoyable to watch, plenty of scores and I think it is here to stay.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Milltown Row2

One Swallow doesn't make a summer and all that ;)

The introduction of groups/round robins will only prolong the agony of counties who don't have much interest to the cup, and for that matter what was the big difference to the Tommy Murphy cup? Was in no entry into the championship? Can't recall
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea