Murder of Aisling Murphy

Started by trileacman, January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

She may have been known to the attacker.  Truly random murders are rare enough.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The public reaction would remind you of what followed the murder of Sarah Everard thall I Sasana.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0114/1273770-ashling-murphy-vigils/

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Itchy on January 14, 2022, 04:04:01 PM
A shocking and outrageous crime perpetrated in broad daylight  in a public place. Its just unbelievable and such a waste.

The gardai response has been brutal though. They lifted a fella, released his nationality and announced to the press that the killer and victim were not known to each other. Now it seems they don't know who the killer is! They've made a balls up in the critical first 1-2 days of the investigation.
No shock there.

Milltown Row2

Person of interest in hospital?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 14, 2022, 06:24:50 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 14, 2022, 04:04:01 PM
A shocking and outrageous crime perpetrated in broad daylight  in a public place. Its just unbelievable and such a waste.

The gardai response has been brutal though. They lifted a fella, released his nationality and announced to the press that the killer and victim were not known to each other. Now it seems they don't know who the killer is! They've made a balls up in the critical first 1-2 days of the investigation.
No shock there.

did the garda do that?  I assume they used suspect when referring to the first person arrested and that the suspect and victom was not known to each other...

He was known to Gardai but that does not mean he was the usual suspect (as some suggested) as regards this type of crime or hassessment etc..

I dont see any reason to be critical of Gardai at this stage. In a town like tullamore the identity of the suspect was going to get out quick... his name was on social media pretty quick..

trileacman

Quote from: mouview on January 14, 2022, 03:21:04 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM
Seems the guards pissed away a day questioning the wrong guy. Very poor work from them, rounding up the usual suspect instead of investigating properly.

You would love to see the perpetrator lifted as soon as possible.

Because the initial suspect was foreign, interrogation thru' translation probably took time, plus they had to check his bona fides fully. They could also only go on the description from what witnesses there were. Can't blame them for nabbing this guy as he had previous and they were anxious to move as quickly as possible in case evidence was destroyed. I'm sure they had several strands going in parallel, just in case, as has now shown to be necessary. Have no reason to doubt the Guards' competence in this, they're not the thickos stupid RTE programs make them out to be.

There's every reason to doubt their competence. It's no surprise it took them only an hour to lift him and nearly 24 hours to rule him out. They seen he had previous and they liked him for the crime. It really shouldn't have been as hard to rule him out. A look at his mobile phone gps data would have been pretty conclusive unless he had passed through the crime scene between 3 and 4 o'clock.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Substandard

I was listening to the Joe Duffy show on the way home this afternoon- the litany of horror stories about the way women are treated.  In the staffroom,  which is predominantly female, every one of them spoke about the constant anxiety when out walking,  day or night, and each gave examples from low grade intimidation which made them uncomfortable up to physical and sexual harassment and assault.
I suppose it speaks a lot more about my ignorance or naivety that, while obviously aware that it was 'out there', I genuinely had no idea the extent.
I think it's probably my upbringing- rural, don't hit girls, always respect women, and so on, that became a cornerstone of my value system.  I lived in Tullamore a good few years.  I can remember many nights walking home well drunk when I'd see a woman, or women, either walking ahead of me or towards me.  I'd always make a point of crossing the road so as not to worry them, even though that may have looked or felt as bad to them. 
I wonder now have I ever done enough in passing on values like that, values I took for granted.  As it happened today, all of the girls in my 6th year class were either absent or gone to a match, so it was just 8 or 9 lads left.  I tried to express these ideas, but it wasn't easy- it's a difficult conversation. 
It just bugs me how a culture of fear for women is driven by a culture of poor behaviour by a significantly big enough cohort of men can exist and be on the increase. 

Itchy

Quote from: trileacman on January 14, 2022, 06:45:35 PM
Seems the guards pissed away a day questioning the wrong guy. Very poor work from them, rounding up the usual suspect instead of investigating properly.

Because the initial suspect was foreign, interrogation thru' translation probably took time, plus they had to check his bona fides fully. They could also only go on the description from what witnesses there were. Can't blame them for nabbing this guy as he had previous and they were anxious to move as quickly as possible in case evidence was destroyed. I'm sure they had several strands going in parallel, just in case, as has now shown to be necessary. Have no reason to doubt the Guards' competence in this, they're not the thickos stupid RTE programs make them out to be.

There's every reason to doubt their competence. It's no surprise it took them only an hour to lift him and nearly 24 hours to rule him out. They seen he had previous and they liked him for the crime. It really shouldn't have been as hard to rule him out. A look at his mobile phone gps data would have been pretty conclusive unless he had passed through the crime scene between 3 and 4 o'clock.

The worst thing they did was pretty much leak that they had the man, he wasn't known to the victim, was foreign and had previous. It created the impression to everyone that case was solved and yet the real culprit is God knows where. Shambolic, no other word for it.

Rossfan

The "person of interest" is in Hospital, Gardai waiting to interview him.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mouview

Quote from: trileacman on January 14, 2022, 06:45:35 PM

This is just silly. What if he was the perp and left his mobile at home, as happens with many premeditated crimes? Would that exonerate him? If he was able to furnish alibis for the time, it may have taken some time to track them down to validate. Maybe he had no alibis but was in a shop miles away from the crime and was picked up on its CCTV, or other CCTVs in different areas proved where he was at the time. Take time to trawl through all of these. Don't forget, the Gardai have to operate within the law at all time, otherwise a loophole may get a guilty person off scot-free in court.

snoopdog

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2022, 09:11:40 PM
The "person of interest" is in Hospital, Gardai waiting to interview him.
In hospital in Dublin supposedly.

seafoid

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-51572665.amp

A new report suggests that over half (61%) of women killed by men in the UK in 2018 were killed by a current or ex partner.

Saffrongael

Terrible tragedy & I see lots of "this must stop" type comment. Has anyone come up with any ideas how to prevent what I see as unpreventable lone wolf/bad bastard attacks ? Thankfully they are uncommon here
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come