Kingspan

Started by Dougal Maguire, December 22, 2021, 12:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

I see Michael Gove has written to Ulster Rugby asking them to reconsider their relationship with Kingspan in light of their alleged role in the Grenfell fire. I think it's fair to say that some of the directors, with their 'alpha male' attitude to safety standards, don't appear to have acquitted themselves too well, but given the suggestion that their products accounted for only 5% of the insulation in the tower block and were  allegedly used without their knowledge and, most importantly, that the inquiry is still ongoing, are they being lined up to be the scapegoat for someone else's failures?
Careful now

Wildweasel74

End of the day building regulations would have had to sign of on the project. They break my heart on minor things during projects so if a material mets the current fire rating which tend to be class O over here for paint, ceiling tiles etc, in England BC approve materials to whatever regulations were current, so either they didn't bother to check or the regulations are not up to standard, which should have been, given this cladding was cause of a fire in either Asia or Australia

johnnycool

I know Kingspan are getting some flack on this and not knowing enough about it but did they advertise this cladding product as being flame retardant and it wasn't or did someone use it for an inappropriate use?

If you've ever burned some of the kingspan cavity insulation you'd know if burns like a roman candle.

Armagh18

Sounds like they're trying to lob the blame on the Paddies..

Newbridge Exile

This twitter  thread gives more context on the Kingspan/ Grenfell back story  https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1473563854210834433

johnnycool

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 22, 2021, 12:14:26 PM
This twitter  thread gives more context on the Kingspan/ Grenfell back story  https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1473563854210834433

Not a good read for Kingspan, Arconic or the regulatory bodies in GB if they were that easy duped by dishonest testing and reporting of said testing.

dec

armaghniac

Quote from: dec on December 22, 2021, 02:46:29 PM
If you follow that twitter thread it leads to this article

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/how-the-products-used-in-grenfell-towers-cladding-system-were-tested-and-sold-70011

The Kingspan section is about 2/3 of the way down.

Some shameful stuff going on there.
However, Gove should first and foremost make it his business to pass laws that stop this sort of stuff. Then the publicity from prosecution can inform the sports bodies. Instead we have a laissez faire approach by the public authorities.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2021, 04:42:20 PM
Quote from: dec on December 22, 2021, 02:46:29 PM
If you follow that twitter thread it leads to this article

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/how-the-products-used-in-grenfell-towers-cladding-system-were-tested-and-sold-70011

The Kingspan section is about 2/3 of the way down.

Some shameful stuff going on there.
However, Gove should first and foremost make it his business to pass laws that stop this sort of stuff. Then the publicity from prosecution can inform the sports bodies. Instead we have a laissez faire approach by the public authorities.

Yeah, doesn't make good reading for the Cavan men at all.

In saying that, Michael f**king Gove is some twat to be writing a letter to anyone asking them to take some sort of moral stance.

As if he gives a flying monkeys about any of the Grenfell victims.

dec

The Michael Gove and the Conservatives are the ones responsible for the low regulation/leave it to the market approach that leads to things like Greenfell happening.

imtommygunn

Exactly - and then they will take no responsibility for it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: dec on December 22, 2021, 06:08:39 PM
The Michael Gove and the Conservatives are the ones responsible for the low regulation/leave it to the market approach that leads to things like Greenfell happening.
Gove has a brass neck on him but I dont think you can blame the Tories for some of the stuff in that Twitter feed.

Franko

I don't think the Tories can be blamed much here.  Maybe they are on the hook for a bit of lax enforcement.

But there WERE regulations and laws in place that should have prevented this kind of thing happening.

I could be wrong, but if that twitter feed is to be believed, the guys in Kingspan set out to do all in their power to circumvent those laws and regulations.

armaghniac

Quote from: Franko on December 22, 2021, 08:12:49 PM

I don't think the Tories can be blamed much here.  Maybe they are on the hook for a bit of lax enforcement.

But there WERE regulations and laws in place that should have prevented this kind of thing happening.

I could be wrong, but if that twitter feed is to be believed, the guys in Kingspan set out to do all in their power to circumvent the law and regulations that were in place.

The regulations were lax, it seemed that the company themselves could test configuration, describe that configuration differently than it was actually tested and then get certification for a range of other more dangerous configurations.

And there was a touch of Brexit about these companies to get away with stuff they wouldn't in other European countries. There needs to be clear flow of information on such matters, it shouldn't need a fire in Britain to get action in Britain if there has been a fire elsewhere that illustrated the problems.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2021, 09:17:26 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 22, 2021, 08:12:49 PM

I could be wrong, but if that twitter feed is to be believed, the guys in Kingspan set out to do all in their power to circumvent the law and regulations that were in place.

The regulations were lax, it seemed that the company themselves could test configuration, describe that configuration differently than it was actually tested and then get certification for a range of other more dangerous configurations.

And there was a touch of Brexit about these companies to get away with stuff they wouldn't in other European countries. There needs to be clear flow of information on such matters, it shouldn't need a fire in Britain to get action in Britain if there has been a fire elsewhere that illustrated the problems.

Again, what you are describing is lax enforcement of regulations.

The regulations themselves, if adhered to, would have prevented this.