China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

That doesn't make much sense.

Have you never heard the saying "trust the art, not the artist"?

My doctor is a heavy smoker. That doesn't mean that the advice he gives out telling patients they need to cut down/give up cigarettes or they'll be at much higher risk of lung cancer and heart disease is flawed. You can still be a professional even if you're, for whatever reason, not living up to or heeding that advice in your own life. Everyone has personal struggles and foibles they deal with which are separate to what they intellectually and dispassionately know is the right thing.

Where my doctor would be professionally negligent and not worthy of his license would be if he ignored or disavowed medical science in dealing with his patients due to his own personal issues.

Last Man

As I said if you are happy with that and it is working for you then fair enough, it wasn't for me. It's personal choice and responsibility at the end of the day.

armaghniac

My doctor is built like Ryan Tubridy, when he tells you to lose weight you cannot say physician cure thyself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PadraicHenryPearse

lastMan what are you doing or suggesting people do..

lenny

From very early in the pandemic, it was clear that SARS-CoV-2 can damage the heart and blood vessels while people are acutely ill. Patients developed clots, heart inflammation, arrythmias, and heart failure.

Now, the first large study to assess cardiovascular outcomes 1 year after SARS-CoV-2 infection has demonstrated that the virus' impact is often lasting. In an analysis of more than 11 million U.S. veterans' health records, researchers found the risk of 20 different heart and vessel maladies was substantially increased in veterans who had COVID-19 1 year earlier, compared with those who didn't. The risk rose with severity of initial disease and extended to every outcome the team examined, including heart attacks, arrhythmias, strokes, cardiac arrest, and more. Even people who never went to the hospital had more cardiovascular disease than those who were never infected.

"This is clearly evidence of long-term heart and vascular damage. Similar things could be happening in the brain and other organs resulting in symptoms characteristic of Long Covid, including brain fog," says senior author Ziyad Al-Aly, a clinical epidemiologist at Washington University in St. Louis and chief of research at the VA St Louis Health Care system.

grounded

Revelations of poor practices at a contract research company helping to carry out Pfizer's pivotal covid-19 vaccine trial raise questions about data integrity and regulatory oversight. Paul D Thacker reports

BMJ investigative article from 11/2021

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

The BMJ subsequently called for the release of the raw data from clinical trials from the pharmaceutical companies.

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o102

Last Man

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 10, 2022, 05:32:18 PM
I am not a medical professional but have a look at the testimony of people on you-tube who have embraced a low carb diet and all that entails. Ketogenic is the extreme end of this but as far as I can make out it is good to do periodically but not long term. There are endless stories from people who have resolved serious medical conditions( arthritis,dyslipidemia, depression to name a few) with diet alone. You basically change from a sugar burner to fat burner which importantly gives our over worked pancreas a break. High insulin and resulting insulin resistance is one of the biggest drivers of chronic disease in older life. Have a look at people like Zoe Harcombe, Tim Noakes and you will get plenty of suggestions after that. Very few of us can tolerate the recommended 45-65% of daily diet as carbs. Sounds bonkers but will all make sense when you get in to it.
My experience of it: dropped 2 stone, more energy and endurance, better sleep, lower stress, acid reflux resolved, regular back spasms, hip and knee pain gone.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Last Man on February 10, 2022, 09:07:45 PM
I am not a medical professional but have a look at the testimony of people on you-tube who have embraced a low carb diet and all that entails. Ketogenic is the extreme end of this but as far as I can make out it is good to do periodically but not long term. There are endless stories from people who have resolved serious medical conditions( arthritis,dyslipidemia, depression to name a few) with diet alone. You basically change from a sugar burner to fat burner which importantly gives our over worked pancreas a break. High insulin and resulting insulin resistance is one of the biggest drivers of chronic disease in older life. Have a look at people like Zoe Harcombe, Tim Noakes and you will get plenty of suggestions after that. Very few of us can tolerate the recommended 45-65% of daily diet as carbs. Sounds bonkers but will all make sense when you get in to it.
My experience of it: dropped 2 stone, more energy and endurance, better sleep, lower stress, acid reflux resolved, regular back spasms, hip and knee pain gone.

what's the link to covid and "Things like HbA1c, insulin, triglycerides, cholesterol ratios, CRP?"

Milltown Row2

I did the keto for over a month, rigidly stuck to it, including no alcohol, as Last man said a lot of the stuff worked really well, weight loss, shredded to very low body fat, we take way too much sugar and then your hidden sugars in food is way and about what's needed.

It can only be a good thing reducing the sugars, as for cholesterol you either have high/bad cholesterol or you don't. Will give it another go soon, then maybe do it in moderation
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 10, 2022, 09:19:18 PM

what's the link to covid and "Things like HbA1c, insulin, triglycerides, cholesterol ratios, CRP?"
Comorbidities, that you may not even be aware of can cause problems with covid. Excess fat storage is a symptom of insulin resistance and you can be thin outside but fat inside(TOFI), fat is stored around your organs and that is a problem for your immune response to Covid.

Wildweasel74

Milltown, did u cut out all sugars, or additional reduction in fats too? Never really read up to much on diets but need cut about 20lbs, dropped 2 stone previous on a fruit diet, kept stone and a half of it of permanently,

Last Man

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 11, 2022, 10:26:04 AM
Milltown, did u cut out all sugars, or additional reduction in fats too? Never really read up to much on diets but need cut about 20lbs, dropped 2 stone previous on a fruit diet, kept stone and a half of it of permanently,
Low carb not low fat is the way to go, I'm not a fan of full keto as a long term but cutting out bread, pasta, cereals cutting down spuds and rice is your best starting point. Carbs are the no.1 source of body fat. Meat, leafy veg, butter, cream, berry fruit in moderation all good

Rudi

Interesting stuff Last Man. Sounds like your taking a "total" approach to your health, I know a few lads/ lassies like you, happy healthy people. Heading that direction myself, having noticed a significant improvement in my mood & general health. Not as tired, don't need antacids as much as I used too. There is some pain in the first couple of weeks, as the body gets used of doing without certain food groups. Fair play

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Last Man on February 11, 2022, 09:26:14 AM

Comorbidities, that you may not even be aware of can cause problems with covid. Excess fat storage is a symptom of insulin resistance and you can be thin outside but fat inside(TOFI), fat is stored around your organs and that is a problem for your immune response to Covid.

But did these caused health issues for people before covid too, I assume they did. So it's not really a covid issue more a general health issue. People should be healthier and as a result require less medical interventions. Unless you are suggesting ignoring covid specific treatments/vaccines, which is different.

Last Man

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 11, 2022, 11:23:06 AM
Quote from: Last Man on February 11, 2022, 09:26:14 AM

But did these caused health issues for people before covid too, I assume they did. So it's not really a covid issue more a general health issue. People should be healthier and as a result require less medical interventions. Unless you are suggesting ignoring covid specific treatments/vaccines, which is different.
You are having a laugh I take it!! ::) I'll cut to the chase, too many people think they are healthy and they are not, waiting for something to go wrong, then medicate. I take a different approach in that we should build a better health foundation to mitigate against problems in the future and ultimately live a more fulfilling life into our old age. By all means place all your faith elsewhere, makes no difference to me, but theres an awful lot of people that hasn't worked out to well for. Don't even know why I'm trying to justify myself but I am triple vaxxed fyi.
If its not for you, just ignore me, others may get something out of it.