China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2022, 10:47:07 AM
Quote from: Last Man on February 09, 2022, 07:24:34 AM
The previously healthy bit immediately raises a flag for me considering the health status of the average American.

So you do not trust the researchers and the people who reviewed their paper? What is your PhD in?
I sense you are anxious but you are not alone as psychologists have identified CAS(Covid Anxiety Syndrome) as a condition but there's no value in you trying to have a cut at me just because I don't agree with you or anyone else. One thing we are now much clearer on is that science is not always objective and frequently serves a particular agenda or biases. Having taken an active interest in my own and family's health in the last 2 years I am given to understand that the medical understanding of fundamental human health has a way to go. However when you also see that there is way more interest in medicating all the conditions we have inflicted on ourselves root cause will never be mainstream.

armaghniac

Quote from: Last Man on February 09, 2022, 12:07:47 PM
The previously healthy bit immediately raises a flag for me considering the health status of the average American.

So you do not trust the researchers and the people who reviewed their paper? What is your PhD in?
I sense you are anxious but you are not alone as psychologists have identified CAS(Covid Anxiety Syndrome) as a condition but there's no value in you trying to have a cut at me just because I don't agree with you or anyone else. One thing we are now much clearer on is that science is not always objective and frequently serves a particular agenda or biases. Having taken an active interest in my own and family's health in the last 2 years I am given to understand that the medical understanding of fundamental human health has a way to go. However when you also see that there is way more interest in medicating all the conditions we have inflicted on ourselves root cause will never be mainstream.

I give the opinion of randomers on the Internet little weight when compared to structured refereed research. We all know long Covid exists.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lenny

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 08, 2022, 09:39:41 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 08, 2022, 09:01:46 PM
Covid survivors are 63% more likely to suffer a heart attack, according to the "first comprehensive assessment" of cardiovascular complications within a year of recovering from the virus.

An in-depth analysis of federal health data indicates that people who have had COVID-19 are at increased risk of developing cardiovascular complications within the first month to a year after infection. Such complications include disruptive heart rhythms, inflammation of the heart, blood clots, stroke, coronary artery disease, heart attack, heart failure or even death.

Such problems occur even among previously healthy individuals and those who have had mild COVID-19 infections, according to the study, from researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the Veterans Affairs St. Louis Health Care System.

The research is published Feb. 7 in Nature Medicine.

Ok

All mitigating factors like age, weight, pre existing conditions would've been taken into account before publication of this kind of study.

thebigfella

Quote from: Last Man on February 09, 2022, 12:07:47 PM

Christ above, Dunning Kruger alert.

He's pointed out that that your grand sweeping statement about the health status of Americans, or dismissing the research, is baseless and not backed up back anything apart from your own elevated opinions.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2022, 12:05:43 AM
Struggling to work out how none of my immediate family have avoided it.

On the other hand, one of my kids currently has it, albeit with very mild symptoms. Ten days on from his positive tests, none of the rest of us have caught it, despite sharing a small house and saying "f**k it" and expecting to get it. He's due back to school tomorrow, and I think we are all in the clear if we don't get it by the weekend. Myself and the wife are boosted, both kids fully vaccinated.

Thankfully, the rest of us have been able to work/go to school as normal.

armaghniac

Quote from: thebigfella on February 09, 2022, 12:36:18 PM
He's pointed out that that your grand sweeping statement about the health status of Americans, or dismissing the research, is baseless and not backed up back anything apart from your own elevated opinions.

Specifically, I am making Lenny's point that mitigating factors like age, weight, pre existing conditions would've been taken into account before publication of this kind of study. The researchers know well the state of health in the US.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2022, 01:01:40 PM

Specifically, I am making Lenny's point that mitigating factors like age, weight, pre existing conditions would've been taken into account before publication of this kind of study. The researchers know well the state of health in the US.

It never ceases to amaze how ignorant so much of the public is about how experimental design and statistical analysis works.

Not saying its foolproof at the individual level (that's partly what peer review is for), but as if a trained scientist is going to fail to account for and control bleeding obvious confounding factors which would sink their study and also hurt their career.

Hound

Quote from: J70 on February 09, 2022, 01:29:39 PM

It never ceases to amaze how ignorant so much of the public is about how experimental design and statistical analysis works.

Not saying its foolproof at the individual level (that's partly what peer review is for), but as if a trained scientist is going to fail to account for and control bleeding obvious confounding factors which would sink their study and also hurt their career.
Fair play to the lads for trying to engage with Last Man to try and educate him. But the chap is happy to be ignorant

Last Man

Quote from: Hound on February 09, 2022, 10:10:57 PM

Fair play to the lads for trying to engage with Last Man to try and educate him. But the chap is happy to be ignorant
Ignorant! That's a bit heavy lads. Scientists are no better than the rest of us in terms of ego, bias etc so you have to be a little sceptical in all these things. If you go deeper with the research that is going on with the gut micro biome and personalised nutrition there is so much that the scientists are trying to figure out that there will be a seismic paradigm shift that will big implications for metabolic and mental health.
What significant changes have you made in your own lives to help you with the health crisis of the last 2 years, just wondering?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Last Man on February 10, 2022, 09:00:51 AM

Ignorant! That's a bit heavy lads. Scientists are no better than the rest of us in terms of ego, bias etc so you have to be a little sceptical in all these things. If you go deeper with the research that is going on with the gut micro biome and personalised nutrition there is so much that the scientists are trying to figure out that there will be a seismic paradigm shift that will big implications for metabolic and mental health.
What significant changes have you made in your own lives to help you with the health crisis of the last 2 years, just wondering?

There's always shifts in science. It's constantly learning new things that make some of the previous information or assumptions redundant. There is nothing new in that. Nor will this shift be any different, and 5 years down the line this "paradigm shift" could be outdated as well. In fact with regards to these changes, I don't think any other industry has the amount of changes of direction the health and well being/ nutrition industry has.
With regarding the health crisis and changes, I've followed what was recommended- social distanced, more time outside, physical activity, took the vaccines when available.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Last Man

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 10, 2022, 09:53:47 AM

There's always shifts in science. It's constantly learning new things that make some of the previous information or assumptions redundant. There is nothing new in that. Nor will this shift be any different, and 5 years down the line this "paradigm shift" could be outdated as well. In fact with regards to these changes, I don't think any other industry has the amount of changes of direction the health and well being/ nutrition industry has.
With regarding the health crisis and changes, I've followed what was recommended- social distanced, more time outside, physical activity, took the vaccines when available.
Any thoughts on your blood markers? Things like HbA1c, insulin, triglycerides, cholesterol ratios, CRP? Can't just be blindly led by doctors, some of whom don't look the healthiest to me any way. It's an n=2 experiment in our hous but both of us have never felt better and just wish we had copped on to this sooner. I am thankful to Covid for something at least

trueblue1234

Quote from: Last Man on February 10, 2022, 10:21:00 AM

Any thoughts on your blood markers? Things like HbA1c, insulin, triglycerides, cholesterol ratios, CRP? Can't just be blindly led by doctors, some of whom don't look the healthiest to me any way. It's an n=2 experiment in our hous but both of us have never felt better and just wish we had copped on to this sooner. I am thankful to Covid for something at least

There's no issue with looking at additional information. But I'd still side with medical professionals advise over anyone else's unless it's supported by some very strong peer review research. I wouldn't be keen on just disregarding doctors opinions unless there's strong evidence to do so. That doesn't mean individual doctors aren't fallible. Second opinions are invaluable.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

grounded

Quote from: lenny on February 08, 2022, 09:01:46 PM
Covid survivors are 63% more likely to suffer a heart attack, according to the "first comprehensive assessment" of cardiovascular complications within a year of recovering from the virus.

An in-depth analysis of federal health data indicates that people who have had COVID-19 are at increased risk of developing cardiovascular complications within the first month to a year after infection. Such complications include disruptive heart rhythms, inflammation of the heart, blood clots, stroke, coronary artery disease, heart attack, heart failure or even death.

Such problems occur even among previously healthy individuals and those who have had mild COVID-19 infections, according to the study, from researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the Veterans Affairs St. Louis Health Care System.

The research is published Feb. 7 in Nature Medicine.

It's been known for some time that those who have had an influenza infection have an increased risk of heart attacks and stroke post infection.
    A 2018 study found that the risk of having a heart attack was 6 times higher within a week of a confirmed flu infection.
      I'd hazard a guess there would be similar correllations with cardiac pathology and other viral infections.
      Hopefully the research that is going into long covid might help with some of the other debilitating autoimmune disorders that may share a similar mode of action/pathology.
       Conditions such as M.E./ cfs seem to share many of the symptoms as long Covid. Would be brilliant any treatment (s) they could develop for long covid could help those other conditions as well.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/13/covid-lab-leak-theories-must-investigated-says-world-head-organisation/

All theories must be investigated in the hunt for the origins of Covid, the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said in the first indication that engineered virus and lab leak theories will

it emerged that Chinese scientists had declined to discuss the lab leak scenario unless the final report dismissed any need for further investigation.

Since the outbreak, China has also refused to grant access to lab records which would show whether natural or engineered viruses were being held at Wuhan. It has also failed to allow access to blood samples of the earliest Covid infections.

Detailed investigations of the earliest known and suspected cases in China prior to December 2019 are still urgently needed,
including analyses of stored blood samples from 2019 in Wuhan and surrounding areas and retrospective searches of hospital and mortality data for earlier cases," they say.
"Globally, at least 4.8 million people have died from Covid-19. They and their families are owed answers as to where and how the virus originated. It's in everyone's interest to better prepare for the next Disease X."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Last Man

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 10, 2022, 12:37:16 PM
Quote from: Last Man on February 10, 2022, 10:21:00 AM

There's no issue with looking at additional information. But I'd still side with medical professionals advise over anyone else's unless it's supported by some very strong peer review research. I wouldn't be keen on just disregarding doctors opinions unless there's strong evidence to do so. That doesn't mean individual doctors aren't fallible. Second opinions are invaluable.
If you are comfortable with that, fair enough but I got fed up listening to obese doctors telling me I should go on this and that drug, eat less move more etc. all the while training 2/3 days a week and 40odd mile cycle at the weekend. The system is so flawed you really need to take more control of your own personal health. Each to his own.