Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on June 10, 2022, 10:59:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 06:00:32 PM
Quote from: Ranty on June 09, 2022, 03:13:57 PM
I see that this debate has been here on this thread since 2018 and we are no nearer a consensus.
I agree with the poster who thinks back passes should be outlawed as this would surely promote a watchable game where the opposition will have a decent chance of retrieving the ball.
I fail to understand how people find the new hurling more watchable than gaelic football with all it's faults.   Frees at least every minute and this excludes a hell of a lot more undetectable fouls, like throwing, arm holding etc etc.  and the majority of scores with such a small ball are from frees and most likely unseen until the umpire raises a flag.   I mourn the day when players could pull on the sliotar on the ground and in the air, and there were no rucks or scrums.   
Having said that, I switched off the recent Derry game as I simply didn't find that stuff remotely entertaining and I'm not from Ulster.

Just lazy on hurling and frees.. 7 frees and 8 frees from both teams on Sunday, which makes your post look a bit silly.. but carry on  ;D

I'm with Ranty on the rucks and scrums though, a lad should be let pull that ball on the ground and scatter a load of the hens hoking and poking for it..

;)

Possession is key, primary possession. While in our day the ball was pulled on in rucks and in the air but 90% of that clearing will end up in opposition possession.

If I was managing again I'm looking to control the ball, I'd expect my players to do that...

I referee both games, there's more frees in football than hurling all day long in the games I cover
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Brolly's new rule suggestions:

1.  The ball cannot be passed back to the goalkeeper.
2.  Kick-outs must go beyond the 45'.
3.  The ball can't go back into your half after passing the halfway line.
4.  Put an official in each half to ensure no sweepers are played, with a failure to follow the rule resulting in a 21-yard free for the opposition.
Ulster League Champions 2009

thewobbler

Quote from: Estimator on June 10, 2022, 10:12:01 PM

4.  Put an official in each half to ensure no sweepers are played, with a failure to follow the rule resulting in a 21-yard free for the opposition.

1. Why would anyone ever want to be a keeper if they can't play a little bit of ball? We may as well dress him in armour like hockey keepers.

2. Impractical when the wind is up.

3. Makes sense to me.

4. There is no possible way to define a rule like this. It's actually one of the maddest ideas I've ever heard. Like take for example a 13m free, and 6 players are on the line. The free taker goes sideways. Are these 5 outfield players not all sweepers at this point?

delgany

Quote from: Estimator on June 10, 2022, 10:12:01 PM

And how would this work in club football ?
A total load of bollocks.

Gmac

2 or 3 point shot line on field for scores kicked outside it ? Like basketball

thewobbler

Quote from: Gmac on June 10, 2022, 10:34:40 PM

And give a further reward to those individuals blessed with a long leg? Why???

Watching stupid c***ts who can't barely kick a ball 50m continually trying to shoot from 50m would be even worse than the crap chess we are currently watching.

Milltown Row2

Aye the ref's are plenty! What planet are people on? Kick outs beyond the 45? Very rare now, last resort, so looking after forward kick marks defending kick marks now watching the halfway line for kick backs! f**k me!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: thewobbler on June 10, 2022, 10:37:26 PM

Watching stupid c***ts who can't barely kick a ball 50m continually trying to shoot from 50m would be even worse than the crap chess we are currently watching.
could not be any worse than what we are watching now
Which is a better skill hand passing to a guy 5 yards away or 45/50m shooting

thewobbler

Quote from: Gmac on June 10, 2022, 10:49:02 PM

No..... it would be a lot worse.

At elite football the game would revolve around hand passing in an eternal circle until the gun forward gets free 45m out.

At normal level football, it would be endless failed attempt after endless failed attempt.

Gmac

Quote from: thewobbler on June 10, 2022, 10:52:04 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 10, 2022, 10:49:02 PM

No..... it would be a lot worse.

At elite football the game would revolve around hand passing in an eternal circle until the gun forward gets free 45m out.

At normal level football, it would be endless failed attempt after endless failed attempt.
instead of hand passing at 25/35 m like it is now
At least if defenses had to push out to 45/50 it might open up a little inside.
Shots that go wide or end up short may create the odd goal chance and if nothing else there would be a change in possession and the other team could counter attack

ONeill

People need to get over the fact that gaelic football, on the whole,  isn't an attractive sport. But it's our sport.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eire90

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2022, 08:26:28 PM
The game has been watered down with back-doors, super-8's, Tailteann Cups and what nots. There is no do or die anymore. Teams getting second chances in Competitions they don't care about or that they know they have no hope in.

The game has evolved into a version of Rugby League and Basketball.

wasn't inter-county football suppose to be an exception and club was the every week bread and butter  like you played for your county a few times a year if you were lucky and f off back to club now it seems its all about county.

marty34

Quote from: ONeill on June 10, 2022, 11:39:50 PM
People need to get over the fact that gaelic football, on the whole,  isn't an attractive sport. But it's our sport.

Snooker has bad games, soccer has bad games and rugby has bad games.

That's sport.

From the Bunker

Yeah, that's true it's not a attractive sport. There's a small percentage of classy Gaelic footballers - Ciaran McDonald, Diarmuid Connolly, Mikie Sheehy......The rest are strong, fit and efficient athletes in general. I like watching and playing Soccer more. My kids prefer soccer. I played Gaelic football, the kids play it. They get a better buzz from soccer. Tribal and Parochial connections are what are the main sellers of Gaelic football. That and a tie to National identity.
Because of ''The Ban'' Gaelic football got a 50 year head start on Soccer and Rugby. Rugby isn't that attractive either.

That said I do love the drama some Gaelic football games provide and the stature it gives a successful county is uplifting.

lenny

The game has evolved into something like soccer or basketball. That probably comes from innovative coaches taking ideas from other sports. There are still many great and enjoyable games at all levels including county and club. If you watch soccer regularly you'd know that a majority of games there are really boring and practically unwatchable. Gaelic football has always had its share of poor games like other sports and always will. The game at the moment requires incredible fitness but also incredible skill levels. All players are comfortable on the ball in the top teams, otherwise opponents would target those players to get turnovers.