Pope resigns

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 11, 2013, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Why does he allow these problems if he has the power to reconcile the church?

The Iceman

Free will. Look it up.
Same reason mayogodhelpusall hasn't had a run in with a bolt of lightning..... several times over just to make sure ;)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

You just have to read a few posts here to see why the Church will not survive long.

We have fundamentalism sneering at any thinking that remotely differs, while insisting that a return to even more fundamentalism is the only way forward.

As I said the Church needs a Gorbachev figure, not the Marxist that made Ulick drool, but the figure that brought a failing organisation into the present.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: The Iceman on February 13, 2013, 05:28:25 PM
I think Skull that might be your misunderstanding or misjudgement in all of this.
I don't have to believe in the "people", I have to believe that God by His Holy Spirit will prevail. The problems of the Church have been human problems. And if you don't believe that you don't have to. But that's what I believe. When the church is reconciled, it won't be through the works of people, but God.

You remind me of my grandmother's outlook when I was in school.
When I did well in an exam, that was down to God, because she lit the blessed candle.
If I didn't do well, that was my own bloody fault and God and the candle took no blame.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ulick

Quote from: muppet on February 13, 2013, 06:10:01 PM
As I said the Church needs a Gorbachev figure, not the Marxist that made Ulick drool, but the figure that brought a failing organisation into the present.

A great success he made of that...

Eamonnca1

Amazing how the invisible man in the sky always gets credit for the good stuff but man gets the blame for all the bad stuff.  Plane crashes, hundred people die, but one well-padded baby survives. Response of the God squad? "It's a miracle!"  I wonder how the plane crash and the deaths of all those people fitted into his great "plan."

Then there's the natural disasters where the invisible man in the sky seems to get off scot free.

Half a city obliterated by a superstorm and thousands of people left without power for weeks, but a statue of the virgin Mary survives. Response of the God squad?  "It's a miracle!"

It'd make you sick.

muppet

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 06:24:09 PM

In comparison to what went before, I agree.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on February 13, 2013, 05:56:26 PM
Free will. Look it up.
Same reason mayogodhelpusall hasn't had a run in with a bolt of lightning..... several times over just to make sure ;)

Eating a whole lot of Cod today were ya Iceman.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Ulick

Quote from: muppet on February 13, 2013, 06:51:17 PM

Muppet, what are you talking about and what has it got to do with the Pope?

muppet

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 13, 2013, 06:51:17 PM

Muppet, what are you talking about and what has it got to do with the Pope?

Gorbachev brought the USSR and indeed Eastern Europe out of its disastrous communist past and into the modern world.

IMHO the Church needs a figure to do something similar.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

I don't think anyone is sneering at anyone Muppet.
Play the ball san
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on February 13, 2013, 08:08:49 PM
Play the ball san

You proclaim the church should only be for "a strong group of devout followers who believe and agree with the teachings". No doubt you include yourself in this exclusive group. You are the one attacking people who think differently to you basically excluding them from your view of the church.

Play the ball yourself.

MWWSI 2017

nifan

Quote from: The Iceman on February 13, 2013, 05:56:26 PM
Free will. Look it up.

If he allows free will, and this causes the problems how is he going to reconcile it - surely he would have to remove free will.
How can he take the credit for the good and not be involved in the bad.

Ulick

Quote from: muppet on February 13, 2013, 08:06:35 PM
Gorbachev brought the USSR and indeed Eastern Europe out of its disastrous communist past and into the modern world.

IMHO the Church needs a figure to do something similar.

Nonsense Gorbachev was deposed after a failed coup.

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on February 13, 2013, 08:12:46 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 13, 2013, 08:08:49 PM
Play the ball san

You proclaim the church should only be for "a strong group of devout followers who believe and agree with the teachings". No doubt you include yourself in this exclusive group. You are the one attacking people who think differently to you basically excluding them from your view of the church.

Play the ball yourself.

I didn't proclaim anything. I agreed with Heganboy's initial line of thinking that the church would become narrower in focus and if you want more fundamentalist. I don't know why you would be so upset about that or how I was playing you or anyone else by agreeing with that.

Like any organisation, if you don't agree then find another one you do agree with. If you don't agree with any religious belief system then don't get involved in an discussion you have no real contribution to and perhaps your agenda is only to annoy the folks that do care.
I don't know why the church should change the rules to suit you or anyone else.

Jesus said "Follow me" he didn't ask what way is Muppet headed and everyone else and say "anything goes there lads". If you dont want to follow Him, then don't.